Jul 20, 2011, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New X5 Flying Wing for FPV from Skywalker manufacturer

Hi Everyone, Alishanmao here.

Just got my New X5 from bevrc manufactured by Skywalker Company. I am already a fan of skywalker and still am sure nothing beats it for its being the best FPV Platform and being a flying tank. I mean i have flown it 2.2kg total flying weight for 10km easily.

Now after that successful flying tank, Skywalker factory finally releases their long awaited flying wing X5 for FPV.

Check Unboxing video (still puzzled how to embed youtube video lol)

X5 Flying Wing for FPV Unboxing Review (4 min 29 sec)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a5n5MbyBo_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Assembly was just piece of cake and in 30 minutes X5 is ready to fly tomorrow if weather is good. After initial testing and setting trims, autopilot and motor thrust angels I am gonna put my Long range fpv gear on it.

as per bevrc testing, this thing drains only 5Amps on cruise throttle if using 1100kv motor and 8x6 prop. Gonna test it myself with 1120kv motor, apc 8060E prop, 40Amp Hobbywing ESC and 11.1v 5200mAh 40C battery to test flight performance and flight time. on cruise throttle.

I am using DYS HK motor. am pretty satisfied with this company products. I use DYS motors and Servos on my Big TT62 Alekto plane as well and never had troubles.

Stay tuned for flight test videos on my youtube channel and post your comments about what you think. FPV Raptor, Skywalker or X5 Wing? Which one is winning

Cheers

AliShanMao
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2011, 12:27 PM
cant wait to see your flight, love you reviews on the tube, subscribed.
RCT
Jul 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
high on flying since 2009

Winning....

The X-5 looks so awesome and full of win. I can't wait to see it fly and see what Ali does with it really interested in the long range fpv and see what size of batteries it can take cause it seems small in wing area on the unboxing video. Cheers and happy flying,
McDiekmann aka Diekmann aka Trickydiek
Jul 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by diekmann
The X-5 looks so awesome and full of win. I can't wait to see it fly and see what Ali does with it really interested in the long range fpv and see what size of batteries it can take cause it seems small in wing area on the unboxing video. Cheers and happy flying,
McDiekmann aka Diekmann aka Trickydiek
Last night assembly was quick and easy. FY21AP dials in just great with one jumper pushed in as per instructions and now the Delta Wing Stabilization is just cool.

Chainlink setup as well.

Now sitting here and tinkering about how to fix my 11.1v 5200mAh 40C battery with keeping CG Balanced

I have to cut the pieces of foam blocks inside fuselage and on the canopy to make it fit. Camera and FPV gear is later story. For now, CL Rx, FY21Ap and Batteries will fit just right and we will see how this bird is behaving.

ESC is under the motor at back. had to cut some more foam to fit my fat Hobbywing 40Amps esc.

Hope to fly it today.
Jul 20, 2011, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcta15
cant wait to see your flight, love you reviews on the tube, subscribed.
RCT
Thanks mate. Wing is ready. just need some final touches and stickers on it and hope we can find time and weather to fly it today
Jul 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
thats the sort of wing im looking for lots of room just hope it flys great
Jul 31, 2011, 04:29 PM
Happy Days
Just ordered one.
I can't see why this cannot be set up as a light platform.
I'm thinking a 2500mah 3S battery and a 300watt motor should be fine??
Aug 01, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thread OP

X5 updates, setup and test flight videos

Here are the FPV updates, X5 Test flight and Setup videos. I am these days enjoying short range and low altitude FPV on this bird. Its flies very stable and smooth that I can leave the sticks even if properly trimmed. I have not tried the Autopilot on this one still as my Autopilot is now setup on SkyWalker the big daddy. So this bird has to fly without chainlink and without autopilot or any sort of stabilization onboard, yet i can still leave radio sticks after setting cruise throttle. Had few tough crashes while throwing due to bad balance setup but man this is one sturdy strong bird. No major damages. Broke wing vertical stabilizer but they were easy to glue back. Hot glue is your best friend here. FPV setup is piece of cake on this one, plenty of places to mount FPV stuff.

Flies 68kmph to 70kmph on cruise throttle using 5A to 6A only. had a great more than 12 minutes flight on single 11.1v 5000mAh battery that actually spins a 8x6 prop on a small 1120kv motor carrying all the load of fpv gear and an additional 11.1v 1300mAh battery to power the FPV setup. if using single battery, light weight setup and cruise throttle all time its very possible to fly 20 minutes or more. loving the neat little bird.

Only problem is hand launch but once you master it, all is good. CG is a bit tricky but keep it nose heavy and all is good. Go for the given CG point on the plane and you will end up crashing on hand launches. here are the videos

I will try to post a new FPV video if my DVR decides to make friends with me.

Cheers

My X5 Flying Wing Setup (2 min 59 sec)

X5 Flying wing is that really maiden flight (5 min 20 sec)

X5 Flying wing and Gusty Winds (2 min 31 sec)

FPV Planes Update (7 min 19 sec)

Beginners FPV Setup Guide (4 min 15 sec)
Last edited by alishanmao; Aug 01, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Aug 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
subscribed!
Aug 05, 2011, 09:19 AM
Happy Days
It arrived today
Looks good.
quick delivery from BEVRC
Aug 05, 2011, 10:15 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Sorry to hijack your thread ali but since I got this plane because of you and your reviews I thought I would share the link to my build log:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post18952456

Cheers!

Sebastien
Aug 06, 2011, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse
Sorry to hijack your thread ali but since I got this plane because of you and your reviews I thought I would share the link to my build log:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post18952456

Cheers!

Sebastien
No worries my friend. Build videos are always welcome. let me know how flights go
Aug 06, 2011, 07:37 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Well click on my link, scroll down and you'll see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alishanmao
No worries my friend. Build videos are always welcome. let me know how flights go
Aug 10, 2011, 04:13 AM
I tried to maiden my X5 with a 2200mah and a 2650mah 4 cell battery today, and it flew horribly. I'm sure I have a CG issue, but am impressed by it's general toughness. To be honest, I didn't think this wing would be so fussy. Seemed like the 2650mah battery would be enough, but it seems like this airframe was designed to carry a lot of weight forward.

Here is a clip of my attempts:

X5 Maiden Attempts (0 min 31 sec)
Aug 10, 2011, 04:16 AM
First try was with the 2200mah battery, and the rest were with the 2650mah. I'm going to double up with two 2650mah batteries for my next attempt...

Quick Reply