Jul 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Elf 24"-a sport-trainer for sukhoi components

Elf 24"-144 sq in wing area. (see pics on my blog)
the largest of the series with 4site/suk components.
it began with the 18" size, and has been growing to 20 and 22, and still there is power available, so i went for the next size. auw went from 48 gr of the 22 to 54 grams. same materials, structure (except 2mm instead of 1), components. i flew it today at the gym, and still does not require much throttle. nice take-offs, turns, landings, touch and goes. the motor is a 'black' from the 4site; 5.1" prop. it had a midair with a 4site, and came out with a cut at the leading edge, that a quick patch of invisible tape fixed.
i tested it outdoors in the cold and flies even slower and more floaty. when stopping the motor, it's the easiest to catch!
how big can it go? i guess it is the paper-thin foam that has almost no frontal area, that makes very little drag, and therefore it does not matter very much how large it is, as long as it keeps a very light wing loading. using material this thin places us at the absolute minimum, so close to the theoretical ideal that things are like daydreaming. it is when Schmitz explanation makes sense (see my blog-below, at the end of 'my goal is...').
an update: i fly it whenever there is no wind, and is the most pleasing of all. stable, good response, handles some wind satisfactorily, and there is enough power from the black motor.
now that am able to field test it more extensively, i have tried other motor/gb. with the 1015/gb from micron, and a gws 6/3, it takes about 75% throttle stick for take-off/climb, and about 65% for cruise. recently i am using the bravo (white) motor with the original 7 tooth pinion, and mounted on a gear box from horizon (the original used on the horizon's 8.5 motors), milled to match the shorter distance for the smaller diameter pinion, and a 6.3 horizon's prop, and it climbs at about 60% throttle stick and cruises at 50%. this is the combination that i like most.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jul 21, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2011, 10:28 AM
Fly long and land softly
Just to help anyone looking in his blog for the ELF, it's way down at Jan 30, 2011!

Hope this helps.

Jim
Jul 20, 2011, 10:32 AM
Thread OP

so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
Just to help anyone looking in his blog for the ELF, it's way down at Jan 30, 2011!

Hope this helps.

Jim
thanks, Jim. i forget how much i have been posting!
i hope it is of some use, or entertains you folks.

Quick Reply