Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
@kristaps_r
I am interested please let me know if you have one for sale.
Thx
Peter
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daito
@kristaps_r
I am interested please let me know if you have one for sale.
Thx
Peter
I'll let you know but that would be at least after week or two. Have a lot to do on other projects.
Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 PM
Potrero RC
Hi!

This is my 1st post on rcgroups, i try the code and works perfect.

A video of my first test using diy-osd:
First test of diy-osd from rcgroups (0 min 45 sec)

My next test must include: more light, a better camera, a more portatile tv, and then i try gps first and then current/voltage sensors.

Thanks a lot!!

regards from chile,
Feb 22, 2013, 09:27 AM
Hello Everyone,

A good news about SimpleOSD Open.
As you know, we didn't produce it since few months because of new design and production. My plan was making it smaller, lighter and cheaper
After few PCB design problem and reproduction now I did it.

This is new SimpleOSD X2

It is coming with useful features for opensource programmers.

And best news it is only 39.90$
The product page: http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrack...l-edition.html
Schematic: http://www.flytron.com/pdf/SimpleOSD_X2.pdf

Features:
  • Working with both DIY-OSD(open source) and SimpleOSD XL(close code) firmwares. (compatible SimpleOSD XL firmware coming soon)
  • 16Mhz Atmega328 Processor with Arduino Boot
  • Standard 6 Pin FTDI Port for PC connection and other Serial sensors as GPS
  • 100% compatible with DIY-OSD Project.
  • I2C pins ready to solder for all sensors.
  • 4 extra Analog input pins
  • 6 extra Digital input/output pins
  • On-Board Voltage Sensor
  • One current sensor input
  • Simple 3 pin (video,+,-) connection to video system.
  • 5V regulated output for other sensors (120mA max)
  • Build-in LM1881 video signal seperator
  • PAL & NTSC compatible
  • Only 1.95gr

You can use a standard FTDI cable to programming it.

I just add some lines into the DIY-OSD 0.18 firmware for compatibility. You can download it from the attachments.

@Dennis:
You can track the differences into the code with "X2" keyword.
Can you update your original for the future updates?

Here is the list:

config.h

Replaced line
Code:
//Arduino = 0, SimpleOSD OPEN = 1, SimpleOSD X2 = 2
#define CONTROLLER 2

Added this line because of different dim, voltage and current pins
Code:
 // SimpleOSD XL OPEN 16 mhz
#elseif (CONTROLLER==1)

// Input from current-sensor and voltage-divider
  #define voltage_divider_input 7
  #define current_sensor_input 4

#if (dim_on == 1)
// This is used for dimming. can be changed to another pin if you want. 
 //define SimpleOSD OPEN's dim pin C5 
 //SimpleOSD OPEN XL
 #define DimOn  DDRC |= 0b00100000;
 #define DimOff DDRC &= 0b11011111;

#else
  #define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b00000000;
  #define DimOff DDRB &= 0b11111111;
#endif    

#define little_delay _delay_loop_1(13);

// SimpleOSD X2 16 mhz
#else

// Input from current-sensor and voltage-divider
  #define voltage_divider_input 0
  #define current_sensor_input 1

#if (dim_on == 1)
// This is used for dimming. can be changed to another pin if you want. 
 //define SimpleOSD X2's dim pin B1
  #define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b00000010;
  #define DimOff DDRB &= 0b11111101;
#else
  #define DimOn  DDRB |= 0b00000000;
  #define DimOff DDRB &= 0b11111111;
#endif    

#define little_delay _delay_loop_1(13);

#endif
Main Sketch

Replaced Line into SETUP section
Quote:
//Define SimpleOSD X2 dim pin
#if (CONTROLLER == 2)
pinMode(9,OUTPUT);
#else
pinMode(9,INPUT);
#endif
Added into the SETUP section
Quote:
// If SimpleOSD X2/LM1881
if (CONTROLLER ==2) {
attachInterrupt(0,detectline,FALLING);
attachInterrupt(1,detectframe,RISING);
pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(13,HIGH); // Turn on the led

// Button with internal pull-up.
pinMode(6,INPUT);
digitalWrite(6,HIGH);

}

Please feel free to any question.
Cheers
Melih
Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Hi Melih
It looks good

I've been busy with the MAX7456 OSD project lately and not been around much here (you have probably noticed, that I have bought a few GPS-units and current-sensors).

I will try to get some time and update the software sooner or later.

By the way, send you an e-mail long time ago regarding the MAX7456 version. You are also welcome to use that for anything you like.
Feb 22, 2013, 09:58 AM
Hi Dennis,

Yes i noticed your GPS+Current sensor orders and I tried to making a surprise to you and put few units SimpleOSD X2 into your pack but didn't finish it in time :/ Anyway, now they are ready to shipping

Personally i don't like complicated electronics like MAX based OSD devices but of course i will glad to subscribe you.
Have you got any group for MAX based OSD project?
Feb 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelihK
Hi Dennis,

Yes i noticed your GPS+Current sensor orders and I tried to making a surprise to you and put few units SimpleOSD X2 into your pack but didn't finish it in time :/ Anyway, now they are ready to shipping

Personally i don't like complicated electronics like MAX based OSD devices but of course i will glad to subscribe you.
Have you got any group for MAX based OSD project?
I would have been a bit surprised, to see a "random" piece of electronic

The extra components needed on the MAX7456 version is not exactly an advantage, but the overlay looks better and there is a lot more processing-time left. But the simple design here is really nice.

I will test the OSD ASAP and report back and have an updated software-version compatible
Feb 24, 2013, 06:34 AM
Question: As I didn't find the word(s) "air-speed" in this thread, I wonder whether air-speed data (instead of GPS speed) can be processed or is on the todo list?
Feb 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
Please, can some point me to a C Bitmap editor to create fonts and other items? I have Tobis ODS Charter Maker however, I would like to have something a little more robust.

Thank you.
Mar 07, 2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipix
New WMC copter controler have GPS possibility.
Because i have using yours OSD, i want to ask if it is possible to connect this OSD as slave to I2C and provide all info for another arduino?

By now is required seperate arduino to make Serial GPS work with WMC I2C ports. I want to make simplier and use your OSD to display info and use as RTH in WMC.
I know it's an old post but I just stumbled on it and realized that I'm working on exactly the same thing!!! Did you ever get it to work with second Arduino and GPS going to DIY OSD via I2C? For me RTH is a MUST and second Arduino running RTH autopilot is a perfect solution. BTW - I went with LM1881 setup for DIY OSD as it's much easier and better looking too. I cleaned DIY OSD code as well (fixed few bugs in the process too )
Mar 13, 2013, 07:34 PM
Technical question here... please help meee! I'm killing myself trying to figure out whats right...
You say there is a negative part in the pal signal, which is backed up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PAL_2_lines.png

But then this guy is generating PAL with just 0-1v:
http://www.rickard.gunee.com/project.../pic/howto.php

How does it work if the Sync level is suppossed to be -1.5v ?!?!?!?!

I'd really appreaciate it if you could help me... I live in a NTSC country but I'm thinking about developing a PAL OSD that's plug and play with Multiwii and can get the Gyro-Accel-Magnetometer-altimeter data straight through serial... Of course it would be open source

Any help appreciated! I need this confirmed so that I can start developing while the PAL gear I ordered is on its way.
Mar 14, 2013, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejoal07
Technical question here... please help meee! I'm killing myself trying to figure out whats right...

I'd really appreaciate it if you could help me... I live in a NTSC country but I'm thinking about developing a PAL OSD that's plug and play with Multiwii and can get the Gyro-Accel-Magnetometer-altimeter data straight through serial... Of course it would be open source

Any help appreciated! I need this confirmed so that I can start developing while the PAL gear I ordered is on its way.
One OSD that takes serial data from MultiWii and draws AHI ... is called Mobidrone. It has same schematic as DIY OSD so nothing to invent, it is allready done and opensource: http://www.toptel.sk/multicopter/ind...&products_id=1

I think I saw also MinimODS code for MultiWii somewhere.
Mar 15, 2013, 04:30 AM
Hello all!

Have anyone of you added code for the BMP085 sensor in this project that we can use for accurate altitude? Yes I know that you Melih have done that..

Regards,
Carl
Mar 15, 2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejoal07

If everything was ideal and it was all DC coupled, the video signal would go negative. Higher quality but it makes things a lot more complicated to keep all parts working and interconnectable.

The simple solution is to AC couple the video signal; which just means feeding it through a large value capacitor. This passes the high frequency video signal to the next stage but blocks DC. The signal reference level is shifted positive or set above 0V by the next stage . Now it can operate from a simple single supply.

There are some minor problems introduced by the AC coupling. Quality is reduced and the average DC level is all over the place, which can affect the ability of the next stage to lock onto and track the video signal when it's less than idea; which is often the case with FPV.

I had this problem a while back and added a DC correcting amplifier to the groughd station. This made previously crappy cameras look quite good.

Paul
Mar 17, 2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFnoise
Hello all!

Have anyone of you added code for the BMP085 sensor in this project that we can use for accurate altitude? Yes I know that you Melih have done that..

Regards,
Carl
Hi Carl,

Yes I did. But it is not an open product.
You can also do that with DIY-OSD, I can only show the way to you. Just download the ArduPilot project and isolate the altitude calculation code. Or maybe you can find BMP085 library with temperature compensated altitude calculation code on the net. Then you can integrate it into the DIYOSD code.

Sorry for this close code things but HobbyKing copying our all projects and we have to do this for surviving and supporting future projects
thank you for your understanding.

Melih

Quick Reply