Jul 16, 2011, 03:21 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Thread OP
Discussion

Fixed wing FPV vs Rotary wing (VTOL) FPV ??

Hi ...

I wonder how you guys see it .. is Fixed wing FPV easier than Rotary Wing (Helicopters, multi-rotors) FPV ??

Because I was practicing yesterday with my small 300 size quad and I was flying mostly by LOS, with a maximum of 2 to 4 seconds of scary FPV moments... I couldn't hold the quad in one position ... although I can do that by LOS very easily ...

Any suggestions, or training guides are greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot

Khaled
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr
Hi ...

I wonder how you guys see it .. is Fixed wing FPV easier than Rotary Wing (Helicopters, multi-rotors) FPV ??

Because I was practicing yesterday with my small 300 size quad and I was flying mostly by LOS, with a maximum of 2 to 4 seconds of scary FPV moments... I couldn't hold the quad in one position ... although I can do that by LOS very easily ...

Any suggestions, or training guides are greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Just lots of practice. It helps to use a 3.6mm lens or smaller, and angle it down 20 degrees. The more ground you can see on landing the easier it is. Practice landing into the wind, then there will be less lateral drift to worry about (the wind won't push you sideways). Also having a clear horizon when learning is also very important, as it help you understand the attitude of the quad.
Jul 17, 2011, 02:18 AM
I think it's slightly harder. fixed wing has one particular direction in flight (forward) and you just manipulate where to go in the image. Quads have all degrees of freedom and you may be going forward, backward, heeling backward, sideways or moving up/down at the same time.

In the first moments of FPV, I exaggerated all corrections, because I had wrong expectations of what I needed to perceive in the camera image to start correcting things (and how to react to that). It helps to start on windless days. The more naturally stable your quad is, the easier things get.

Make a note when flying in direct sight how much you actually move the controls to hover. It is best if you attempt to do this with gradual stick movements (maintaining angles a bit), rather than impulse movements.

Realizing how much you actually move the sticks gives you more info during FPV. You'll notice that especially with the GoPro, distance measurements are very difficult. How far above the ground are you exactly? How far is the tree? Getting better ideas of how the image of a single camera (cyclops) influences your distances, you'll see that this helps to relax. The heavier your corrections are, the less stable it becomes and it'll make larger and larger movements around somewhere you don't want to be.

I'd go for little windy conditions. Cut down vibrations to the absolute minimum possible. The less vibration you have, the better it is for stability and the less corrections you end up having to make.
Jul 17, 2011, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
Thanks a lot for your inputs .. I'll make sure I don't rush things up and take it slowly but surely ...

Thanks again

Khaled
Jul 18, 2011, 11:12 AM
I personally find it easier to fly my quad/tri/hexa fpv than my planes. Maybe it isn't exactly because it is "easier" though. I like the fact that I can just sit in one spot with the quad etc and don't have to worry about a "flight path" or being lined up correctly to land. It probably helps with your confidence when you start on a very stable platform, as I did with an MK hexa. I guess another consideration is the amount of space you have to fly in. I am not confident enough to do any long distance flights and have access to smaller park areas that are perfect for my quad.

Like radialmind said, being smooth on the sticks is a must for quads/helis too. One big plus of fpv over los on a heli/quad is that you don't have to worry about orientation (like being nose in etc when los)

Anyway, I have a couple fpv planes and don't fly them much anymore. Spending much more time with the quad/tri/hex.
Jul 20, 2011, 04:49 AM
Thread OP
Hi

My current fpv ship is the German X-BL with classic X-3D gyro 300 size quadrocopter, I don't have X-ACC... so I only fly in Heading hold mode .. which makes it even more difficult because you keep making corrections by the sticks .. Maybe I should get one if I find it really difficult to learn in HH mode only

Thanks for your input

Khaled
Jul 20, 2011, 07:24 AM
Build Something
I find my tricopter MUCH easier via FPV than a fixed wing. It tried an ez* via FPV and although i'm an accomplished 3d plane flyer, I find the tricopter much better.

It took me a couple of flights to get it, but once I did, Wow.

I think there are a couple of tricks that helped me:

I have my camera pointed exactly horizontal. That way when I want to hover, I just put the horizon in the middle of the screen and the machine stops and hovers. To move forward, put the horizon in the top third. Backwards, the bottom third.

Taking off is sometimes a challenge. I start by waiting until the image starts to move and give is slightly more stick and HOLD it. With regular heli flying, you'll find you ease off the collective as soon as you break ground. If you try this via FPV I often over corrected, hitting the ground again, often sideways or backwards. Punch the collective and hold it until you're at a safe altitude.

More altitude is best. Keep it moving fast up high will give you a better chance. Try not to look at the scenery. you'll be distracted at even 100'

To descend, just point the nose at the ground. If you were flying from ground veiw, you would just bring the collective down and modulate it to descend. with a fixed pitch multirotor via fpv it is very hard to see the descent rate. If you just nose it over and head for the middle of your park it will just fly down there. Don't be afraid of hammering the forward cyclic!

Keep it moving forwards. You have to hold forward cyclic the entire flight, but that's just how it is. For me this was a challenge coming from fixed wing. Even in a turn, don't pull back on the cyclic, keep it forward (just a touch) and adjust with collective.

A WDR camera helps. I found if the sun was low, the shadows were all black and I couldn't tell where the ground features were.

Above all it's just practice. I have 16 hrs now on my tricopter, and have now begun to fly in and below the trees etc. So much fun...

sub...
Jul 20, 2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
I personally find it easier to fly my quad/tri/hexa fpv than my planes. Maybe it isn't exactly because it is "easier" though. I like the fact that I can just sit in one spot with the quad etc and don't have to worry about a "flight path" or being lined up correctly to land. It probably helps with your confidence when you start on a very stable platform, as I did with an MK hexa. I guess another consideration is the amount of space you have to fly in. I am not confident enough to do any long distance flights and have access to smaller park areas that are perfect for my quad.

Like radialmind said, being smooth on the sticks is a must for quads/helis too. One big plus of fpv over los on a heli/quad is that you don't have to worry about orientation (like being nose in etc when los)
I started flying FPV with my quad and have never tried a fixed-wing based FPV platform. I echo what others have said about flying a mutlicopter via camera. Start slow and low and get used to now the camera view changes as the mutlicopter moves. After about 6 flights of bouncing and skidding on pavement I am able to takeoff and land under control. I use pool noodle "feet" so I don't tip over if I land too hard I don't bust frames. I like to fly up to a tree or other object and try and hold a stationary hover keeping that object in view. A big plus for me having the FPV quad is I can fly near my home in tight spaces practicing precision hovering any time I want. See my blog for the project details. I love flying it, now I am working on flying faster and higher.
Jul 20, 2011, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Hi

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with me .. I'm sure I'm gonna need it

Here are a couple of photos of my FPV Quad .. It has no self leveling module (X-ACC)

I've added some landing gear, and I've put the AR-drone props instead of those shown in the photos ...

Khaled

Quick Reply