Jul 15, 2011, 04:28 PM
hul
hul
Build Log

6 ft Tempest from scratch with sound

this is my scratchbuilt Tempest I maidened today.

1.8m span
5.5kg AUW
Hyperion Z5025-22 on 8s 5000 draws about 60A with a 19x16 Fiala wood prop
11 servos (2 aileron, 4 flaps, 1 pneumatic main retract, 1 mechanical tail retract, 2 elevator, 1 tail wheel steering and rudder)
it's all wood and glassed

The maiden went fine. It was somewhat tailheavy, worse with the wheels up and I had much too much elevator throw.

Short video:
Tempest maiden flight (0 min 41 sec)

build pictures later if you're interested.

Hans
Last edited by hul; Jul 31, 2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added link to video
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
Charles Sherman
Nice work. The take off looked good. The landing must have stopped your heart when the plane flared up.

Like to see some pics when it's finished.
Jul 15, 2011, 05:13 PM
Registerd Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by hul View Post

build pictures later if you're interested.

Hans

Absolutely!!
Jul 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
Pro Hoarder
yes pics please,,,,
Jul 16, 2011, 04:45 AM
Hul

Fine looking model, and very neatly built. Nice job especially on the fuselage planking!

Can you supply details of the plan? Some build pics would be fabulous...
Jul 16, 2011, 05:50 AM
hul
hul
some current pictures. Full flap (60 degrees) turned out to be a bit much, I'll have to experiment a little.

I made CAD drawings for it. But they are just a collection of parts with no details. They're enough to build the plane, but not without some detail engineering on the part of the builder.

btw, I tried different primers to see what's easiest to use, that's why there are 4 colors.

Hans
Jul 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hans, very nice model, she sure scoots! Looking forward to seeing her with paint.

D-Rock
Jul 16, 2011, 04:10 PM
hul
hul
thanks.

I started thinking about a new plane at the end of 2008. Evaluated wing areas, sizes for about 25 different fighters and looked at the possibility to power them with an existing 400 gram motor. Also looked at undercarriages for trouble free landings, wide track preferred. Finally picked the Tempest and started looking for good drawings, which I found here: http://www.hawkertempest.se/RJCaruana.htm

Then spent a long time correcting the formers and sorting out wing thickness required to fit the retracts. And finally used FLZ Vortex (a vortex lattice software) to work out the aerodynamics, washout etc. and bought the Unitracts retracts (http://unitracts.co.uk/).

Finally started building the center section of the wing in August 2009.

The outer two ribs were attached to a jig (just behind the wing joiner tube and behind the lightening holes in the ribs) to test the alignment of the retracts. There isn't a lot of space in the wing and all angles had to be right. Also managed to build in the first mistake, the distance between these ribs isn't right....
The outer rib is 4mm hard balsa covered in carbon for straightness. Ply is usually a bit warped and would have given ugly gaps between center and outer wing panels.

Hans
Last edited by hul; Jul 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Jul 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
Fantastic!
This is "Modelling".

I for one would be very interested to see the Cad files.

Hugh
Jul 17, 2011, 05:33 AM
Merlin

You'd not be the only one mate (hehehe....)

Well I suppose somebody had to ask!
Jul 17, 2011, 06:24 AM
hul
hul
there's about 10 separate files, many of them messy. Send me a PM with your e-mail and tell me what format you want.

Hans
Jul 17, 2011, 06:43 AM
hul
hul
the rest of the center section.
There's 7 ribs each side. R1 2mm balsa gets mostly removed after the build to make space for the air tank and receiver, R2 is 2mm balsa/1.5mm aircraft ply, R3-R5 are 2mm balsa, R6 is 3mm aircraft ply and R7 is the 4mm balsa 160g/m2 carbon sandwich mentioned above. Should have made R3 of 3mm ply as well because very little of it is left after making clearance for the undercarriage.
Shear webbing is 2x1.5mm balsa at +/-45 degrees. The outermost bay of the rear spar has no shear web; that space is needed for the hidden flap linkage. The little auxiliary spars are 3x3mm and there to support the top sheeting stiff in the wheel bays.
Sheeting is 1.5mm balsa. Total weight so far is 382grams.

Hans
Jul 17, 2011, 06:48 AM
hul
hul
then laminated the wheel pants on the wing to get the right curvature. They are a 0.8mm aircraft ply / 160g carbon sandwich. Probably much more than is needed but I don't want them to break on our grass field.

Hans
Jul 17, 2011, 06:51 AM
hul
hul
center flaps, hidden linkage and installed wing joiner tube.

Hans
Jul 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
Oh no, not again!
Hans, this is a real beauty, Very impressed with all the meticulous detail - biased shear webs, hidden linkages. So glad it flies as good as it looks.

Regards,
Jeff