FrSky 2.4Ghz - Telemetry Hub & Sensor discussion - Page 230 - RC Groups
Jun 04, 2014, 04:47 AM

Frsky Vario does not work HELP!!

Dear all.

I really like the stuff from Frsky but this one drives me crazy.
I have

Everything works but I have tried to connect the Vario to the receiver. I receive on the Android Dashboard data but the data is absolutely wrong. I did a few tests with the elevator from floor 33 to floor 3 and displayed figures are definitely wrong. When I was out flying last time the Varion even showed minus figures. Additionally the LED keeps flashing/blinking. There must be something wrong.
But I really do not know what I did wrong.
Can anyone help? What can I test? What shall I do differently?

Here's the receiver I use.

Name: Receiver.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 15.8 KB
Description:

That's how I have connected the Vario to the receiver. Yellow wire goes to Rx and brown cable goes to A2.

Name: Vario D8R-XP.jpg
Views: 320
Size: 23.9 KB
Description:

That's a snap shot from the manual showing that I did the connection right.

Name: Snap2.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 19.3 KB
Description:

I use the Android Dashboard to dsiplay the values. That's how I have set up the App. I am sourcing the value from AD2.

Name: Dash1.JPG
Views: 81
Size: 115.5 KB
Description:
Name: Dash 2.JPG
Views: 44
Size: 33.9 KB
Description:

Guys, I am somehow desparate to get it working. Is there anything I can do here?

Many, many thanks!
Georg
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2014, 05:41 AM
I don't know Android software capabilities, so for me it is the main question mark.

Also precision, I would lower to one digit, even 10 cm is too optimistic from normal precision vario.

A quick test: set an alarm 3 on AD2 for values > 130.
Should hear module beeps when lifting the plane from the ground.
If this happens, the error is in the Android software, imo.
Jun 04, 2014, 08:21 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
How are you sure the other receiver is not busted by the telemetry receiver transmitting at some cm away ?

How the the other receiver "stopped sending pulses on loss of signal" ? Isn't supposed failsafe holds the last command ?
Hi Renato. The FrSky RX's can be set to 'no PPM out' failsafe as well as hold. Set by having the TX off while setting failsafe IIRC.
Martin
Jun 04, 2014, 08:30 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
[QUOTE=roth_georg;28556144]

That's how I have connected the Vario to the receiver. Yellow wire goes to Rx and brown cable goes to A2.

QUOTE]
I'm not sure why FrSky's manuals say to connect the Brown wire if you use the Yellow, it's redundant. At least it is if using a Taranis, which gets both altitude and vario data from the serial source.

Actually I tried the analogue (Brown wire) signal too, and set the Taranis to use just the analogue vario (A2) for some comparison testing. Not any noticeable difference in vario tone function, but no altitude reading from it.
So I use the serial (Yellow wire) output only, and removed the Brown wire completely.

The altitude can read slightly minus altitude until you Reset Telemetry after it's settled.
Martin
Jun 04, 2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure why FrSky's manuals say to connect the Brown wire if you use the Yellow, it's redundant. At least it is if using a Taranis, which gets both altitude and vario data from the serial source.

Actually I tried the analogue (Brown wire) signal too, and set the Taranis to use just the analogue vario (A2) for some comparison testing. Not any noticeable difference in vario tone function, but no altitude reading from it.
So I use the serial (Yellow wire) output only, and removed the Brown wire completely.

The altitude can read slightly minus altitude until you Reset Telemetry after it's settled.
Martin
Hi there.

So, does this mean I only need one cable connected to the receiver, either Rx/serial or A2/analogue?
Did I understand that right?

Also, you said smth. about vario and altitude. I though this was the same. Is that not the same? I would expect that altitude in meters is displayed….that's it, actually.

Could this be the reason that the LED is blinking?

Thanks a lot!!
Georg
Jun 04, 2014, 06:33 PM

D8R-11 plus setup

Hi all, I could do with some help setting up my rx and two sensors.
Ihave got a D8R-11 plus with a smart port vario connected via the data stream port on the rx and it works fine. So i went and got the voltage sensor FLVSS and thought i could just connect it to the vario by connecting both the sensors together via the smart ports, am i right in thinking this or have i got it wrong.

Regards Dean
Jun 05, 2014, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roth_georg
Hi there.

So, does this mean I only need one cable connected to the receiver, either Rx/serial or A2/analogue?
Did I understand that right?

Also, you said smth. about vario and altitude. I though this was the same. Is that not the same? I would expect that altitude in meters is displayed….that's it, actually.

Could this be the reason that the LED is blinking?

Thanks a lot!!
Georg
LED is normal to blink permanently, this is the way how vario shows is working.
There are several scenarios to use this vario, depending the radio and what you want:
- Taranis - yellow wire is enough, will get both altitude and vario
- non-Taranis radio:
~~~ yellow wire to serial port, will get altitude on FLD-02, no vario
~~~ brown wire to ADC port, will get vario sound in module, no altitude, FLD-02 not needed permanently, only once to set vario trigger level.
Jun 05, 2014, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roth_georg
Dear all.

I really like the stuff from Frsky but this one drives me crazy.
I have

Everything works but I have tried to connect the Vario to the receiver. I receive on the Android Dashboard data but the data is absolutely wrong. I did a few tests with the elevator from floor 33 to floor 3 and displayed figures are definitely wrong. When I was out flying last time the Varion even showed minus figures. Additionally the LED keeps flashing/blinking. There must be something wrong.
But I really do not know what I did wrong.
Can anyone help? What can I test? What shall I do differently?

Here's the receiver I use.

Attachment 6822206

Attachment 6822212

That's a snap shot from the manual showing that I did the connection right.

Attachment 6822210

I use the Android Dashboard to dsiplay the values. That's how I have set up the App. I am sourcing the value from AD2.

Attachment 6822207
Attachment 6822208

Guys, I am somehow desparate to get it working. Is there anything I can do here?

Many, many thanks!
Georg
Found the solution. The wires were right but in the Android dashboard I had to enable the 'Hub: xxxx' sources and then open the model configuration, and choose the Hub type, although I have not the Frsky Hub in place.

All looks good and it is an awesome tool.

Thanks for all the help.
Georg
Jun 05, 2014, 03:28 PM
I recently picked up a few FAS40 sensors for cheap. I just put one in my vampire EDF, and as I feared, it draws slightly over 40A on the ground. Im measuring 41-42A in static testing. How stupid would it be to fly it like this? Im guessing in flight the current draw will be lower, but still close to the maximum spec. What happens if the sensor gets overloaded, does it shut down or burn up?
Jun 05, 2014, 03:38 PM
Nope, the "sensor" is a mO resistor, rated 3W, while the real load at 40A is 1.6W, enough margin.
The reading will be overloaded though... at some value you will be limited at 4* Amps even if real value is 50 or more.
Jun 05, 2014, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Nope, the "sensor" is a mO resistor, rated 3W, while the real load at 40A is 1.6W, enough margin.
The reading will be overloaded though... at some value you will be limited at 4* Amps even if real value is 50 or more.
I was already surprised I could measure >40A. I dont think its pulling anywhere close to 50A though, for starters the stock ESC is only rated for 45A and the amp reading climbs progressively with the throttle until the end. At 95% throttle Im reading 39A or something.

Im not sure I understand the first sentence though, no idea what an mO resistor is, but if I understand you correctly, the only real risk is that Im measuring incorrectly, but not that it will catch fire or shutdown, correct?
Jun 05, 2014, 04:39 PM
mO = milliOhm = 1/1000 of an Ohm, resistance measurement unit.

This resistor is connected between the plus leads of pack and ESC, the minus (ground) leads are tied together.
When a 40A current pass through one mO resistor, the voltage drop is 40*1/1000 = 40mV. And the power is 40 * 40 /1000 = 1.6W
These 40 mV are amplified by about 80x amplifier, to result about 3.3V at full range.
Why 3.3V ? Because this is the range of a typical measurement voltage unit (ADC = analog to digital converter) found in a today microcontrollers.
Then the measurement of these 3.3V is scaled, converted in Frsky numbers and sent via serial line to receiver, for downlink.
Probably the 3.3V are not reached exactly at 40A, but at 41-42 Amps or close. This 3.3V level is the only factor that limits the Amps reading. But is not a destructive limit, as a fuse, is logical the ADC just can't measure beyond the upper limit, will send end of scale value even if Amps are beyond this.
Jun 05, 2014, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation Ill give it a try this weekend and see what it does in the air.
Jun 16, 2014, 10:12 AM
Nobody is prefect.

FVAS-02H erratic alt data

Hi all,

I have a problem with my FVAS-02 high precision hooked up to a D4R-II going into a 9x (with open9x) with telemetry mod and smartyparts board. The vario is connected according to eflightwiki.

The good news: when it works, it works, beeps and all.
The bad news: the alt value is erratic; on 2 out of 3 flights the altitude reading jumps to anything at some point during the flight, plus or minus ... totally unpredictable.

Wiggling the sticks has no impact - I am running a 1S 1100 mah lipo in a 2 channel DLG.
I re-positioned antennae - no difference.

Any recommendations?

Thanks - Thomas
Jun 16, 2014, 10:18 AM
Could be a first generation software and request reflashing.
The new firmware and flashing instructions can be found on Frsky site, Downloads section.
Though... the main symptom of that time bug was lock after 8 minutes of flight, nothing random.

Quick Reply