Thread Tools
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
SteveT. is online now
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Had a crappy landing a while ago and hit the left side of the elevator and knocked it loose. While checking old girl for any other damage I spun up the motor (Omega 130) and noticed I have some fore and aft play under throttle. It is about an eighth of an inch. It may have been like that for a while, not really sure. I have 160+ flights on this motor. It still has plenty of power but this has me wondering. Bearings/shaft worn? Not time today to pull it and do a good check. Will have to wait till in the morning. Has anyone changed bearings or shaft in their Omega?
Collar on shaft at back of motor has probably moved...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Motojunk is offline
Find More Posts by Motojunk
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Motojunk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Anyone running the Motrol 2820-950 on 4s/ 12x6? Im looking for some accurate amp numbers to determine if I want to make the jump from 3 to 4 cell on this one. 3 cell just doesnt seem to be poppin the 48 for me like it should. Thinkin of doin the 4s setup with it but really wanted to use the Motrolfly 70a esc but Im thinking its gonna be pushin it a bit with only 70. Numbers would be an asset
That sounds like a ton of power! IMO this plane flies way better with a 13" or 14" prop than the 12". I'm currently running the DM2820-750 on 4S with a 13x6.5 APC on my EF MXS and it's got tons of power. Not sure the exact amperage at the moment, but it's running fine with a 60A esc. With the Edge being lighter than the MXS this setup would turn it into a rocket. The 950kv version might be a bit overkill for 4s IMO.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
KE Spin is offline
Find More Posts by KE Spin
Shore Huckin'
KE Spin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Collar on shaft at back of motor has probably moved...

SteveT
Good call Steve. I noticed the same thing on one of my E-Flite 450's. To get to the collar with an allen wrench the x-mount itself has to be removed.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
SteveT. is online now
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Yep....

Some motors also have an "e" or "c" clip to keep the shaft from moving, but lots of the smaller ones do not. When the motor is pulled to check the collar, it would be a good time to lube the bearings...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
KE Spin is offline
Find More Posts by KE Spin
Shore Huckin'
KE Spin's Avatar
Yeah, I had a Super Tigre .10 electric motor that parted (and come out through the cowl) when the tiny little e-clip gave way. I replaced the shaft with a longer one (so I could get a collar on it) and no more problems. :-)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
rdcskkrose is offline
Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
TEAM HILLBILLY
rdcskkrose's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Collar on shaft at back of motor has probably moved...SteveT
Yep. Loosen up the little grub screw. Pull it back together. Tighten the little grub screw with some blue loctite. While your there drop a little sewing machine oil on the bearings.

Why is it a "grub" screw? Anybody ever heard it called that or did I just make it up?

Ron
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Jul 11, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
3Dplank is offline
Find More Posts by 3Dplank
TEAM HILLBILLY
3Dplank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
Yep. Loosen up the grub little screw. Pull it back together. Tighten the little grub screw with some blue loctite. While your there drop a little sewing machine oil on the bearings.

Why is it a "grub" screw? Anybody ever heard it called that or did I just make it up?

Ron
I heard grub screw before. At my work they call them set screws.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:20 PM
SteveT. is online now
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dplank View Post
I heard grub screw before. At my work they call them set screws.
British like to call them grub screws....most Americans call them set screws.... But with our global forums, the terms are becoming interchangeable...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
3Dplank is offline
Find More Posts by 3Dplank
TEAM HILLBILLY
3Dplank's Avatar
We can call them " drop one and good luck finding it screws"
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
rdcskkrose is offline
Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
TEAM HILLBILLY
rdcskkrose's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dplank View Post
We can call them " drop one and good luck finding it screws"
To much thought for me.

I'm going to the block of ice we have buried in the backyard to get another barley pop.

Ron
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
SteveT. is online now
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dplank View Post
We can call them " drop one and good luck finding it screws"
That's why I like to keep a decent selection of both metric and SAE set screws on hand, as I have definitely been known to drop a few here and there.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
SteveT. is online now
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
To much thought for me.

I'm going to the block of ice we have buried in the backyard to get another barley pop.

Ron
It was 100 degrees out on my patio just a little bit ago...but 74 here in my living room...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
MARCOELDRAGON is offline
Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Fly Naked !
MARCOELDRAGON's Avatar
Thanks guys for the quick input. I had 2 Power 15s come apart in mid-air on my PZ Extra 300, don't want a repeat on the Edge, my Cowling had taken enough of a beating already. Both times on the Extra the shaft, can and back bearing pulled all the way out and were hanging by the wires.

Where I'm from we call those little C clips "Jesus clips" cause if you drop one or it flies off when you try to put it on the shaft you say "Jesus where did that thing go".
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
SteveT. is online now
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Kind of like the "Jesus nut" on a helicopter....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:09 AM
3Daddict is offline
Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
OK, I know I posted about this before, but it is just an update. I said before my plane would not do KE spins, well I took a look at my rudder pull pull and it was just to loose, so I tightened that up and then I moved my battery back about an half inch and now it does them perfect.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 04:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 07:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 08:45 PM