Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
rdcskkrose's Avatar
I made the long pull/pull arm by using a servo arm from the big standard servos from a T34 Mentor that I planted. I'm sure you can do that for this application.

Cut off the spline nub and used 2 screws thru the existing holes of the existing servo horn to hold it together and make it longer. Still flying my SHP with that setup.
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2013, 06:16 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Oh man that really sucks. Sorry about that!!
yea that does suck.
Jan 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie
Well I just snapped the wingtube on my 48 edge this morning Was attempting to do a snap to hover and the wingtube just snapped instead and the plane spiralled 50 feet into the ground while the left wing just floated down and landed 50 feet away from the crash site.

Oh well, it happens. Broke the wingtube right where the fuselage meets the wing. Had over 200 flights on it so I can't complain. I will try and fix it over the winter I suppose. Still have the 51 Slick I need to fix first.

Lucky I have a nib sitting around for just such an occasion
Wing tubes should really be thought of as an expendable item, with a finite lifespan, especially if you fly your plane hard. A LOT of stress is put on the wing tube when you fly hard.

It's kind of like the older Honda Civic engines that had a timing belt Honda said to replace the belt at 80,000 miles. If you did not, there was a really good chance it would break, at which time the pistons would travel up and hit the valves, which would bend the valve stems, which would totally "fubar" the engine. Granted, many of them went way past 80,000 miles without breaking, but why would you want to take the chance....

I would say that if you are really flying the plane hard....replace the wing tube at about 150 flights....it's cheap insurance....

Just my 1 cent (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Jan 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Steve wasn't talking about you...
Ha! must be me then... ok, I can take a hint. Sorry, was just trying to help.
Jan 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
quadracer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee
How many weeks are we going to spend discussing Wedoitall's rudder problems? He's lucky he seems to have about 50 people all concerned about his setup.

I REALLY hope you get it all sorted out Wedoitall
I believe that is the purpose of the forums, no?
Jan 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Eagle34's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall
do you or anybody else know whats the total length and length from center to the hole i need to make a long arm myself?
I've used something like this on several of my planes. From the center of the mounting hole to the outer most hole is right at 1" more than you will need for this plane (pretty sure regardless of radio) worked with my DX6i. You will have to figure out which holes you need to use for your situation.
Jan 11, 2013, 06:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav
Ha! must be me then... ok, I can take a hint. Sorry, was just trying to help.
Wasn't talking about you either. I believe he was talking about the dude that popped up just to bitch about us trying to help someone out (which is the intention of these forums to begin with).
Jan 11, 2013, 06:31 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Eagle34's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav
Ha! must be me then... ok, I can take a hint. Sorry, was just trying to help.
Don't believe it was you either.
Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Wing tubes should really be thought of as an expendable item, with a finite lifespan, especially if you fly your plane hard. A LOT of stress is put on the wing tube when you fly hard.

It's kind of like the older Honda Civic engines that had a timing belt Honda said to replace the belt at 80,000 miles. If you did not, there was a really good chance it would break, at which time the pistons would travel up and hit the valves, which would bend the valve stems, which would totally "fubar" the engine. Granted, many of them went way past 80,000 miles without breaking, but why would you want to take the chance....

I would say that if you are really flying the plane hard....replace the wing tube at about 150 flights....it's cheap insurance....

Just my 1 cent (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

SteveT
That is not that practical to replace a wing tube every 150 flights. I get that many flights after 15 days in the summer. I fly my planes hard, but have not had a wingtube fail yet, I wonder if some people are not careful transporting them?
Jan 11, 2013, 06:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav
Ha! must be me then... ok, I can take a hint. Sorry, was just trying to help.
Nope not you either....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Jan 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict
That is not that practical to replace a wing tube every 150 flights. I get that many flights after 15 days in the summer. I fly my planes hard, but have not had a wingtube fail yet, I wonder if some people are not careful transporting them?
It was only a suggestion....you may, of course do what you like....just be sure to keep an eye on it, and to be aware they can fail...

And as noted, there are many things which can cause a wing tube to fail...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Jan 11, 2013, 06:37 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
It was only a suggestion....you may, of course do what you like....just be sure to keep an eye on it, and to be aware they can fail...

SteveT
I do keep a close eye on them, if I ever see any cracks or signs of fatigue I will throw them out and get a new one. however I have seen people when they are done flying just toss the wing tube in their car and set things on top of them. This is just asking for issues.
Jan 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie
Well I just snapped the wingtube on my 48 edge this morning Was attempting to do a snap to hover and the wingtube just snapped instead and the plane spiralled 50 feet into the ground while the left wing just floated down and landed 50 feet away from the crash site.

Oh well, it happens. Broke the wingtube right where the fuselage meets the wing. Had over 200 flights on it so I can't complain. I will try and fix it over the winter I suppose. Still have the 51 Slick I need to fix first.

Lucky I have a nib sitting around for just such an occasion
Way to go, I haven't done that yet......
Jan 11, 2013, 06:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict
I do keep a close eye on them, if I ever see any cracks or signs of fatigue I will throw them out and get a new one. however I have seen people when they are done flying just toss the wing tube in their car and set things on top of them. This is just asking for issues.
Agreed.....110%
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Jan 11, 2013, 06:40 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly
Way to go, I haven't done that yet......
No....you prefer flaming destruction....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 03:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 06:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 07:45 PM