Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON
turnerm,
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel. Do you really need anything else to fly? I tend to find something I like and stick with it. For example I only wear Lee jeans, I only wear Drakar cologne, have owned 9 Suzuki motorcycles and 8 Chevys. I fell for the Edge 540 from watching the Red Bull air races. Would like to have a 41", 58", 74 and that 92" prototype Joe Smith has been testing to go along with my 48's. I do try new things and just recently switched from leaches to pills to treat my high blood pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wOf7...6hqqGUg0N_8QmA
LOL!! . I guess I'm still in my exploring stage with airplanes. I've loved everything I've flown (except those full fuse EPP planes) but I'm starting to enjoy the 60-70" planes now.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON
turnerm,
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel. Do you really need anything else to fly? I tend to find something I like and stick with it. For example I only wear Lee jeans, I only wear Drakar cologne, have owned 9 Suzuki motorcycles and 8 Chevys. I fell for the Edge 540 from watching the Red Bull air races. Would like to have a 41", 58", 74 and that 92" prototype Joe Smith has been testing to go along with my 48's. I do try new things and just recently switched from leaches to pills to treat my high blood pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wOf7...6hqqGUg0N_8QmA
someone once told me "variety is the spice of life"
Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON
turnerm,
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel. Do you really need anything else to fly? I tend to find something I like and stick with it. For example I only wear Lee jeans, I only wear Drakar cologne, have owned 9 Suzuki motorcycles and 8 Chevys. I fell for the Edge 540 from watching the Red Bull air races. Would like to have a 41", 58", 74 and that 92" prototype Joe Smith has been testing to go along with my 48's. I do try new things and just recently switched from leaches to pills to treat my high blood pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wOf7...6hqqGUg0N_8QmA
Heck... I just switched to leaches.....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Nov 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar

SFG mod to 48" Edge


Hey guys,
Just finished the SFG mod today. Hope to test fly tomorrow. Will report back when I do. For now here are the stats and pics.

All 3/16" balsa- one 3 foot sheet, pieces glued at seams with thin CA. One CF spar placed vertically in center.

Spacer is 3/16 balsa with blind nuts (2- 4-40 per wing) on back. covered with trim monocote and epoxied to wing tips.

Screws- 2- 4-40 x 1/2" with washers each wing.

See photos for the rest. design and assembly about 3 hours. Cost- approx $10
Last edited by dth7; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Nov 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
very nice, you got a link to the plans for the stand, I like that one
Nov 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
cale10's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly
very nice, you got a link to the plans for the stand, I like that one
plans for the tand? i want plans for the SFG'S!!!! thats an awesome build by the way!
Nov 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
Plans for the SFGs, that's pretty much it- "KISS" (Keep it simple..." I pretty much winged it (no pun!), sketched it, cut, glued covered and screwed!

Stand, also KISS. 2- 5 foot 3/4" pvc (to fit in the Outback). 4- 3/4" elbows, 2- 3/4" 4 way cross, pvc primer and glue. 3' of 3/4" foam for 3/4" pvc, duct tape as needed.

* Dry fit it all first and mark the elbows so the stand isn't twisted and sits flat.

You are going to glue the crosses to finish with an elbow on each end. Top sections- 6" (4), lower sections- 1'(4) each. lower cross bars- 2'(2) each (I did not glue these so I could transport if necessary. Adjust the lengths as needed. You see how it fits a 48" plane. I'll attach a pic with a 60" fuse on it. I figure if I get a larger plane (ha, "if" that's funny). I can cut longer cross bars to lengthen. That's it, easy peesy lemon squeezey. Enjoy.
Nov 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10
plans for the tand? i want plans for the SFG'S!!!! thats an awesome build by the way!
Thanks, let's hope it flies better (not that it has to).
Nov 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
Those SFG's look sweet!
Nov 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
cale10's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7
Thanks, let's hope it flies better (not that it has to).
you have a scanner to upload it to RCG with?
Nov 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Motojunk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7
Hey guys,
Just finished the SFG mod today. Hope to test fly tomorrow. Will report back when I do. For now here are the stats and pics.

All 3/16" balsa- one 3 foot sheet, pieces glued at seams with thin CA. One CF spar placed vertically in center.

Spacer is 3/16 balsa with blind nuts (2- 4-40 per wing) on back. covered with trim monocote and epoxied to wing tips.

Screws- 2- 4-40 x 1/2" with washers each wing.

See photos for the rest. design and assembly about 3 hours. Cost- approx $10
Dude... those look awesome!!! Great job. Can't wait to hear how you like them. I put the EF SFG's on mine and I loved it.
Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10
you have a scanner to upload it to RCG with?
let me try. Standby.
Nov 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
OK, here you go. Good Luck.

You might want to wait for my flight report to see if it was worth the time! I have a feeling it will be.
Nov 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk
Dude... those look awesome!!! Great job. Can't wait to hear how you like them. I put the EF SFG's on mine and I loved it.

Thanks!

Was that the orange one I saw a video of? If so between that and Cody's urging I decided to try it. I have an EF 60" Extra on the bench- Can't wait. Don't think I'll beat the cold and or snow for that one.
Dec 01, 2012, 03:21 AM
Fly Naked !
MARCOELDRAGON's Avatar
Great job on the SFG's, like that pvc stand too. Something I have been meaning to try too. Made a set for my PZ Extra 300 that worked just fine but didn't look nearly as nice. I might put a set on my Franken Edge.

Newest Edge arrived safely yesterday afternoon. Didn't get started yet due to wife and I getting some devastating news at work the night before. Made the very last house payment on Thursday. Went to work that night only to find out without any warning that our jobs and 26 others had been eliminated effective 12/01/12 due to the poor economy. Both of us are still kind of in shock. We were given a semi-decent severance package, better than I expected but not as good as it might have been. Sorry to air my personal problems here. Not really the place for it at all. Wife has her support group of friends, family and farcebook people. No pity or sympathy required just wanted to vent a bit. Guess my point is you never really know what is going to happen so make the most out each and every day. Please forgive me for bumming anyone out.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 03:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 06:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 07:45 PM