Thread Tools
Sep 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
Hi guys... I've been really busy lately since school started back up and the job recruiting season is in full swing. Between class, homework, and events I haven't had much time for anything else. On Thursday I drove over 700 miles.

Anyway... I got a chance to put three packs through my edge today and it was a real pleasure. It was windy though and my landings weren't the smoothest on the gravel road I was flying off of. Oh well, it beats nosing over in the thick grass...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2012, 11:36 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav
You guys are so good it is depressing...
Maybe if I hang out here with you long enough it will start to rub off...

I watch these videos in awe.
It's all about logging lots of time on the simulator I know Tom puts in time. There is no substitute for practice.
Sep 25, 2012, 12:01 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
Yes, my geeky CRRCSIM is not going to cut it. I'm gonna get RF. I am an all Linux home so it requires some preparation.
Sep 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
Prefectionist
I got two more flights on my "new to me" 1.5 huck. I was banging it around pretty hard with KE spins, waterfalls, IFS's etc, It's rocking the wings in elevators and high alpha flight.

I also managed to have the battery come lose and put a couple of small cracks in the canopy. apparently velcro + strap isn't enough.
Sep 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd
I got two more flights on my "new to me" 1.5 huck. I was banging it around pretty hard with KE spins, waterfalls, IFS's etc, It's rocking the wings in elevators and high alpha flight.

I also managed to have the battery come lose and put a couple of small cracks in the canopy. apparently velcro + strap isn't enough.
If you're getting wing rock in HA flight then try moving your CG up a little. Or at least make sure it's at least neutral and not aft. If that doesn't kill it then I crease you're rudder expo a bit. Also check to make sure your pull/pull cables aren't loose.
Sep 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
+1 to what turnerm said above.

Other thing I typically do with wing rock issues is ensure the plane is trimmed both for inverted flight as well as level flight. I have a tendency to go too far back on 3D planes. Doing inverted and verifying it's relatively trim in relation to standard flight typically helps me.
Sep 26, 2012, 06:27 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd
I got two more flights on my "new to me" 1.5 huck. I was banging it around pretty hard with KE spins, waterfalls, IFS's etc, It's rocking the wings in elevators and high alpha flight.

I also managed to have the battery come lose and put a couple of small cracks in the canopy. apparently velcro + strap isn't enough.
throw out the stock velcrow straps and go down to Walmart or the hardware store and get yourself some good straps there. the stock velcrow straps are useless and I have had them fail on me before in my 51'' slick.
Sep 26, 2012, 06:59 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
quadracer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict
throw out the stock velcrow straps and go down to Walmart or the hardware store and get yourself some good straps there. the stock velcrow straps are useless and I have had them fail on me before in my 51'' slick.
I keep a roll of genuine Velcro on hand at all times. Soooo much more secure.
Sep 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
I always use a strap, but if you glue down industrial velcro on the tray and put it on your batteries, I have never had a battery come lose, in fact I have done more damage to my planes trying to separate the battery from the tray.

for $20 this will last a few years
http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industr.../dp/B00006RSP1
Sep 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
ex-noob
Lardog's Avatar
For under $3 the blue stuff from HobbyKing is tough to beat. It is the best hook/loop fasterner I've ever used. Even the adhesive on the back is industrial strength.
Sep 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
I think if a battery came out when strapped in with just about any velcro there was something wrong with how it was put in. Make sure the strap is passing over the middle of the pack. I have never had a battery come loose and I've used all sorts of velcro straps.
Sep 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
I like these Velcro "One Wrap" straps....they work great, you can cut them to the length you want....and for big batteries I just use two (plus of course Velcro on the bottom)... I buy mine at Home Depot....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Sep 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
I like these Velcro "One Wrap" straps....they work great, you can cut them to the length you want....and for big batteries I just use two (plus of course Velcro on the bottom)... I buy mine at Home Depot....

SteveT
That's what I use too. But on this plane I have trouble getting the strap around the battery because mine go so far under the cowl.
Sep 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
Registered User
Capt. Roll's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
That's what I use too. But on this plane I have trouble getting the strap around the battery because mine go so far under the cowl.
I had that issue so I put a 7 gram lead weight as far forward as I could in the motor box. That allowed me to move the pack aft; much easier to strap down now.

The 48" Edge doesn't notice the additional 7 grams of weight.
Sep 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll
I had that issue so I put a 7 gram lead weight as far forward as I could in the motor box. That allowed me to move the pack aft; much easier to strap down now.

The 48" Edge doesn't notice the additional 7 grams of weight.
Interesting. I might try that. Although I love how light and floaty it is now. But I guess 7 grams isn't much.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 03:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 06:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 07:45 PM