Jul 20, 2012, 09:25 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
quadracer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I am not a big fan of the two piece landing gear myself. I am wondering if you could just grab say the 3DHS 47" SHP's carbon gear or heck maybe even the 51" AJ Slick's CF and fabricate a way to put it on the Edge. That has me thinking about doing a CF landing gear mod to mine now. Has anyone tried one yet? Just curious on how difficult it was. I am not much of a builder more of an assembler.
I've got the 47 SHP gear on mine. I had to cut the fuselage out right behind the factory landing gear slot to get a good solid mount. There is a ~1/2" recessed area right behind the LG former, and I bolted a 3"x2"x 1/2" thick ply block through the LG former. I then bolted the gear through the ply block. It has yet to fail.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
My poor poor planes.
winndaddy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Depends really on the radio you are using, if you are using the DX6i then they are pretty much a must have on the elevator and rudder, ailerons not so much so. DX7 or DX8 or the new Futaba 8FG not really needed.

If you really need some you can use carbon fiber ones like these for the elevator and these for the rudder. You can find the same things at HK for cheaper (and they come in pairs) but you will have to wait for shipping from China.
Yes, I use the DX6i... Thank you!
Jul 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
Fly Naked !
MARCOELDRAGON's Avatar
I too use the DX6i and if you adjust the end points to 125% you can get by with the longest stock arms that come with HS 65 servos for the ailerons. AlexGold made a set of extensions for his. I was ready to do the same but found a set from another vendor.
Jul 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User
AlexGold's Avatar
The simplest solution, but not stiff enough is to enlarge original arms with pieces of other arms with the help of CA and a clip. Here you can find some photos: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7277
Jul 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
Fly More Crash Less
AZAerobat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I've got the 47 SHP gear on mine. I had to cut the fuselage out right behind the factory landing gear slot to get a good solid mount. There is a ~1/2" recessed area right behind the LG former, and I bolted a 3"x2"x 1/2" thick ply block through the LG former. I then bolted the gear through the ply block. It has yet to fail.
Great thanks for the info. I might have to try this out when my gear craps out on me. So far so good though. How does the plane look with the CF gear?
Jul 20, 2012, 05:00 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
quadracer's Avatar
I like it better, but I guess I'm kinda biased..
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342818061.146982.jpg
Views: 157
Size: 206.0 KB
Description:
Jul 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
Fly More Crash Less
AZAerobat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I like it better, but I guess I'm kinda biased..
Wow that looks great! Thanks for sharing. I like the SFG's too.
Jul 20, 2012, 05:10 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
quadracer's Avatar
The SFG's are home made out of 1/8" ply. I'm too lazy to paint them.
Jul 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
Fly More Crash Less
AZAerobat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
The SFG's are home made out of 1/8" ply. I'm too lazy to paint them.
I understand. I am ok with spray paint and do not even own an airbrush. Maybe someday if I get serious about looks. Right now it is all about flying for me.
Jul 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
Registered User
AlexGold's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
The SFG's are home made out of 1/8" ply. I'm too lazy to paint them.
What's your impression about SFGs?
Jul 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
My poor poor planes.
winndaddy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I too use the DX6i and if you adjust the end points to 125% you can get by with the longest stock arms that come with HS 65 servos for the ailerons. AlexGold made a set of extensions for his. I was ready to do the same but found a set from another vendor.
Good to know. I think I will try 125% end points and go with the long servo arms for the rest.
Jul 21, 2012, 05:30 AM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I am not a big fan of the two piece landing gear myself. I am wondering if you could just grab say the 3DHS 47" SHP's carbon gear or heck maybe even the 51" AJ Slick's CF and fabricate a way to put it on the Edge. That has me thinking about doing a CF landing gear mod to mine now. Has anyone tried one yet? Just curious on how difficult it was. I am not much of a builder more of an assembler.
I used the 47/48 Vyper CF replacement gear to mod mine. While not really an in-depth how-to, there are several photos of the mod along with descriptions of the various steps in the process, and it's available on my blog page. It will give you a pretty good idea of what is involved -->

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=357377

HTH, Byron
Jul 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
3D-wanna-B
theK2's Avatar
Coming VERY soon... Blue/Yellow vinyl kit from theK2. Here is a sneak peak of the right wing art (sorry for the crappy pic, my wife has the good camera in Florida):

Jul 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
It looks great!
Jul 21, 2012, 01:52 PM
Fly Naked !
MARCOELDRAGON's Avatar
Looks like a good job Klint. Nice and bold. I would like to see you do a sharks' mouth. One that wraps around under the cowl, would probably be hard to get it to make the curve and lay flat. ADC has some but I don't like the way they look. Just something to think about. I turned 50 today and managed to get a couple flights in to celebrate in between rain showers.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 04:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 07:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 08:45 PM