Aug 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
customstandoffs
cmala's Avatar
I will do a hover catch with the 48 soon. I tried yesterday but wasn't able to hold the hover steady enough.

I'm not sure if maybe I have too much expo or not enough or just need to relax.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2011, 02:25 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Yup. Walmart parking lot at night under the lights. Truck stops when your traveling, Wife and kids need to hit the rest stop for a potty break was a killer for me now I just break out the 48 and fly.
Once you learn to harrier.. where you can fly has no limits.

Take the dogs for a walk. Absolutely dear!!! drive to the nearest buisness park cut the dogs loose and fly!!!!!!!!!!
The 48 is always in the trunk and ready
+1. couldn't agree more.
Latest blog entry: Updated Hatcam - Apr2016
Aug 03, 2011, 02:35 PM
No one has more fun than me
aerosheldon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
+1. couldn't agree more.
Judging by what you do in the yard (103" ) you could fly this INSIDE the car!!!
Aug 03, 2011, 03:04 PM
3DHS Addict
adam345's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I will do a hover catch with the 48 soon. I tried yesterday but wasn't able to hold the hover steady enough.

I'm not sure if maybe I have too much expo or not enough or just need to relax.
I did my first hover catch with the 48 yesterday evening. It took me a while to finally get it in the right spot and bam, reached out and grabbed it. It was awesome!
Aug 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
Ok...if Craig's gonna try hover-catch....I'm in too....guess I'll have to try with the 48 edge or vyper..

Speaking about BOTH new 48's.....If you really want a 48 that tolerates grass the best, the supervyper is great....the long low stance is very stable on the ground and the forward mounted gear and long tail makes the vyper immune to nose overs in normal grass....very nice.

I'm glad I have both planes...I really like them both....each has their own feel....both are great for all types of flying. Vyper is more precise but still 3d's very well...easy to takeoff and land in grass. The edge has very good pitch authority and is easier to fly like you are mad at it since it is cheaper. For the record....my "spare" edge arrived late last week from the 2nd shipment...time to fly the first one even harder!!!!
Aug 03, 2011, 04:18 PM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I will do a hover catch with the 48 soon. I tried yesterday but wasn't able to hold the hover steady enough.

I'm not sure if maybe I have too much expo or not enough or just need to relax.
I hear ya Craig, and was going through the same this morning. Can't get 'nuff rudder input quick enough to hold 'er from sliding out to the side during hover. It was a bit breezy, but I'm still going reduce the rudder expo and give that a go next flying session.

Man this thing flies great on 3S 2200, Omega 130 and APC 14x7E. At about 80% throttle and flying KE, coupling is very light, almost unnoticeable (CG is set very close to neutral).

This is my 1st 3DHS plane, and I'll definitely be buying more.
Aug 03, 2011, 04:41 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like if you don't have enough rudder authority to hold a hover you might want to move your CG back a little. It could just be something you get better at with practice though.
Aug 03, 2011, 04:47 PM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like if you don't have enough rudder authority to hold a hover you might want to move your CG back a little. It could just be something you get better at with practice though.
Yeah, ya want your CG neutral for good hoverability (is that a word i.e. just a smidgen forward of flying tail heavy. Of course tail heavy hovers nicely, but all other flight characteristics are compromised, so best to avoid being heavy in the caboose.
Aug 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
I like noseheavy planes and lower expo.....try it and let me know why you like it more tailheavy than I do...

This spring I found my epp was easier to hover with lower expo.....I had maybe 80% or more in it....found that I like maybe 60% on my JR radio.....then I found the same thing true with my balsa....all the way up to my 104.....lower expo to 60% also helped my harriers.....no tailheavy required.....and I like "pushing" while inverted.....makes inverted flight much more comfy when you already expect to push.......another thing that really helped.....at NALL I noticed that Joe's stick tension was HEAVY....and I cranked mine ALL the way up.....heavy spring tension provides great feedback on when you are ACTUALLY moving the sticks....and this helps a lot to avoid unwanted inputs and make your intended inputs acknowledged with feeling.....helps a LOT around neutral on both sticks......another nice thing is to use a HELI radio with no detents on the throttle.....smoother hovers and all around throttle control.

Try some of those things and see if it helps.....then let us know what you think.......just work them in one at a time to find out what you like without being overwhelmed.....and have fun.
Aug 03, 2011, 07:05 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
boatdoc's Avatar
Gotta plus 1 on Bevins here. Like a little push on inverted and 60% expo My right stick has more tension then my throttle 9503 Heli.
Aug 03, 2011, 07:51 PM
Just do it.
FlyFisch's Avatar
I have slightly less than 45 degrees of travel on aileron and elevator, but plenty enough on rudder. I measured it wrong during setup. How will this affect flight performance?
Aug 03, 2011, 08:09 PM
No one has more fun than me
aerosheldon's Avatar
you have to take the 8fg apart to change the springs, right? I had my A9 cranked on the springs and really liked it. As you said when doing something new like an inverted harrier I am so jazzed up that sometimes I am giving aileron with elevator and didn't realize it with the low spring tension.
Aug 03, 2011, 09:13 PM
Registered User

pics


Snapped some pics with our new Sony A580 tonight.
Aug 03, 2011, 11:15 PM
Registered User
terryscustom's Avatar
I wanted to try something to get a little more rudder authority so I bolted on a set of these: http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...roductid=56220

Really helped the rudder out and actually took out the little bit of wing rocking I was getting in harrier. Rollers always seem to get easier with SFG's, so they were also much easier (for those of us that are still working on perfecting rollers).
Aug 04, 2011, 01:02 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Ok...if Craig's gonna try hover-catch....I'm in too....guess I'll have to try with the 48 edge or vyper..

Speaking about BOTH new 48's.....If you really want a 48 that tolerates grass the best, the supervyper is great....the long low stance is very stable on the ground and the forward mounted gear and long tail makes the vyper immune to nose overs in normal grass....very nice.

I'm glad I have both planes...I really like them both....each has their own feel....both are great for all types of flying. Vyper is more precise but still 3d's very well...easy to takeoff and land in grass. The edge has very good pitch authority and is easier to fly like you are mad at it since it is cheaper. For the record....my "spare" edge arrived late last week from the 2nd shipment...time to fly the first one even harder!!!!
the little Vyper is the perfect fuselage for hand catching, and she hovers super well
Latest blog entry: Updated Hatcam - Apr2016


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 03:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 06:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 07:45 PM