Sep 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemx007
I have one with a Hacker A30-12L(13x6.5) and one with an Omega 130g(14x7), all the other gear is exactly the same. My battery location is in the same place on both to get a proper cg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21
listed as a 143g motor

http://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-a30-12l-motor-v2.aspx

i dont doubt that it is that heavy with x mount and prop adapter, but you also have to realize that other motors are heavier with that stuff as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410
I had the Hacker A30-12L on mine and it was too heavy to get the CG right without adding weight to the tail. w/ prop adapter and X mount it's a 173 gram motor!

IMO -Light is right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129
i have used the omega 130gram and a hacker a30-14L in my vr-1 with no real noticeable difference in battery location as well.
Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to stick with the Hacker. Rob suggests it because of the altitude I am at I will need a little more power than if I was closer to sea level. I am willing to trust his opinion. I like the idea of moving the rudder servo to the tail if need be. That way I will not have to add weight just move some around. We will see how it goes. Just waiting for a reply back to pay the difference in motors. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2011, 01:47 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
So I got my build finished last night except for the long servo arm that I'm waiting on (hopefully it gets here today or tomorrow). I'm feeling good about it - and I'm dying to fly it.

One thing that I was impressed with was how well the plane balanced. I was also suprised how much play I have available in battery positioning to get the plane's CG from the front of the range (80mm) to the back of the range (90mm). The range is very small but it allows for relatively large battery movements.

I'm running a 4s setup (4S 2500's) and to get the CG back to 90MM I have to put the battery all the way up against the wing tub. To get the CG up to 80MM I can move the battery a good 2 inches forward of the wing tube. It's nice to have that much play in my CG...
I'm worried about your heavy battery... That is what I fly in my 51 slick. I'm sure its going to fly ok but it might have a lot of wing loading. 3s 2200 packs are perfect. Let us know how it turns out with the added weight.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
I'm worried about your heavy battery... That is what I fly in my 51 slick. I'm sure its going to fly ok but it might have a lot of wing loading. 3s 2200 packs are perfect. Let us know how it turns out with the added weight.
Will do. They suggest 3s setups or 4s setups... I just decided to go with 4s for more power. I assume if they provide both setups that it should be fine.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:15 PM
3d NOOBular
You should be fine but you are toward the heavy end on the 4s pack. If you feel like it is real heavy wing loading try tossing in a 3s pack with a 13x6.5 prop.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:25 PM
Don't Midair Me, Bro!
Can anyone recommend a good prop adapter (5mm to 1/4")? The one that came with my motor isn't long enough to mount a spinner, and the set screw-type one I got from Tower will not stay tight.

Also, there has to be a better solution than the nylon wing bolts. My model didn't come with aluminum bolts, and I have a heck of a time tightening those things with my fat fingers. I'm thinking about threading a bolt through the wing root, then using a washer and a nut inside the fuselage to secure the wing. That way I can easily tighten the nut with a wrench. Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2011, 04:30 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_s
Can anyone recommend a good prop adapter (5mm to 1/4")? The one that came with my motor isn't long enough to mount a spinner, and the set screw-type one I got from Tower will not stay tight.

Also, there has to be a better solution than the nylon wing bolts. My model didn't come with aluminum bolts, and I have a heck of a time tightening those things with my fat fingers. I'm thinking about threading a bolt through the wing root, then using a washer and a nut inside the fuselage to secure the wing. That way I can easily tighten the nut with a wrench. Thoughts?
What motor are you using?

They are backordered right now but I would go this route for wing bolts. http://www.adchobbystore.com/3DHS-Al...ARF_p_251.html
Sep 09, 2011, 04:36 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_s

the plastic ones are much easier than the metal ones to get in.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
listed as a 143g motor

http://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-a30-12l-motor-v2.aspx

i dont doubt that it is that heavy with x mount and prop adapter, but you also have to realize that other motors are heavier with that stuff as well

not that heavy.....the motrofly motor that i wound up getting is listed as a 123 gram motor but AUW is 153..... just like they have listed on their site.

just trying to help out here as it's my opinion the bird flys better when its light. That extra 20 grams off the nose makes a huge difference in the flight characteristics.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemx007
I have one with a Hacker A30-12L(13x6.5) and one with an Omega 130g(14x7), all the other gear is exactly the same. My battery location is in the same place on both to get a proper cg.
whats the AUW weight of that omega motor ?

i know how much a small change in battery location can alter the CG so either the way you're checking CG is off or the omega motor is a lot heavier than 130 grams.
Last edited by racerman27410; Sep 09, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Sep 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
the plastic ones are much easier than the metal ones to get in.
I respectfully disagree. The aluminum ones I got are much easier.
Sep 09, 2011, 05:07 PM
3D-wanna-B
I see everyone referencing the A30-12L... I though the 3DHS website recommended the A30-14L? Only reason I mention this is that I will be ordering mine soon from ADC and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I have the 14L in cart.
Sep 09, 2011, 05:20 PM
Shore Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
You should be fine with the heavier battery. Even though the 4s 2500 is somewhat heavier (around 2 oz more than the recommended 3s 2650), you have to consider that the wing has over 500 square inches of area which is around over 3.5 square feet.

This means your loading will only increase by around 0.6 oz per square foot....hardly anything to "worry" about and far from "a lot of wing loading".

My Buck n a Half came with a wing loading of around 10.5 oz per square foot (using 3s 2650 mah batteries). So, if you add the extra weight of the 4s battery then your loading only comes up to approximately 11.1 oz per square foot. In this size balsa plane around 12 oz per square foot is very common so the feel should still be light.
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 09, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Sep 09, 2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theK2
I see everyone referencing the A30-12L... I though the 3DHS website recommended the A30-14L? Only reason I mention this is that I will be ordering mine soon from ADC and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I have the 14L in cart.
the 12L is recommended for 3 cell use

14L is 4 cell
Sep 09, 2011, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin
You should be fine with the heavier battery. Even though the 4s 2500 is somewhat heavier (around 2 oz more than the recommended 3s 2650), you have to consider that the wing has over 500 square inches of area which is around over 3.5 square feet.

This means your loading will only increase by around 0.6 oz per square foot....hardly anything to "worry" about and far from "a lot of wing loading".

My Buck n a Half came with a wing loading of around 10.5 oz per square foot (using 3s 2650 mah batteries). So, if you add the extra weight of the 4s battery then your loading only comes up to approximately 11.1 oz per square foot. In this size balsa plane around 12 oz per square foot is very common so the feel should still be light.
the numbers may not support it but i can tell a huge difference in the way the plane flies being just two ounces lighter..... where that extra weight is located is also significant. where the battery sits is kind of neutral I cant tell a whole lot of difference between my 2200 3 cell battery and the 2800 3 cell battery in the overall flight characteristics (with proper CG location for each battery).... but put that extra weight on the nose and its totally obvious.

i guess what it boils down to is what a person is accustomed to flying and or what type of performance they are looking to get from the aircraft.

Everyone is different so each pilot has to make their own choice as to what is acceptable ot not.
Sep 09, 2011, 08:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Well... I'll find out when fly her I guess. I'm sure it will be fine but I can also try some 3s batteries as well. I've got plenty of those.

Quick Reply