Dec 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
FM
FM
No Static
Oh yeah...I can't believe the conditions you all fly in! Spoiled in Az...sunny and hot thank you very much! I can fly 335 days of the year...okay it is 105 @ 9am in the summer however I am flying in 65 degrees in December!!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2012, 11:20 PM
FM
FM
No Static
Oh yeah...I can't believe the conditions you all fly in! Spoiled in Az...sunny and hot thank you very much! I can fly 335 days of the year...okay it is 105 @ 9am in the summer however I am flying in 65 degrees in December!! No wind and no rain...got to love the desert.
Dec 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
3d NOOBular
I had a nice afternoon here in So Utah. It was a little chilly today... in the 40's but still nice. I got two flights on my 48 edge and a couple flights on my 70" slick gasser.

proving gravity, you will love the 51 slick but make sure you have flown the 48 edge a lot before getting it. The 51 can be really wild and is more fun than should be allowed, but you have to be really used to recovering from crazy attitudes. If you have already mastered that then a 51 would be a great next plane
Dec 18, 2012, 12:33 AM
It was -15 here in anchorage today. This past saturday its was 0 when I went flew and it was miserable. I crashed all three of the planes I flew that day. So the Edge wont be going out till it gets in the 20's at least.
Dec 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
new kid on the block
hello 3dhs fans! i'm looking to make this or the 41" edge 540 from 3dhs my first balsa 3D plane after i learn on my foamy. i'm on a bit of a budget by the way im going back and forth between a 41" from 3dhs and a foam sbach 342 by dynam.

the sbach is a lot cheaper, but, its foam and i don't get to put my own electronics in it...

the 3dhs is a balsa and i have to build it, but i get to choose my electronics, a lot more expensive though...

my question for you guys is if i decide to go balsa, does the 48" fly considerably better than its smaller brother? like if i'm willing to put the money into a balsa plane, will i be happier going a little bigger for a bit more? or does the smaller size still fly nice (minus the obvious size difference and all that goes along with that). any thoughts or concerns are great, i'm waiting until i'd have time to fly it around here any way, so i have a lot of time to think about it, but just doing research
Dec 18, 2012, 12:56 AM
Addicted to 3DHS, EF and Flex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468
hello 3dhs fans! i'm looking to make this or the 41" edge 540 from 3dhs my first balsa 3D plane after i learn on my foamy. i'm on a bit of a budget by the way im going back and forth between a 41" from 3dhs and a foam sbach 342 by dynam.

the sbach is a lot cheaper, but, its foam and i don't get to put my own electronics in it...

the 3dhs is a balsa and i have to build it, but i get to choose my electronics, a lot more expensive though...

my question for you guys is if i decide to go balsa, does the 48" fly considerably better than its smaller brother? like if i'm willing to put the money into a balsa plane, will i be happier going a little bigger for a bit more? or does the smaller size still fly nice (minus the obvious size difference and all that goes along with that). any thoughts or concerns are great, i'm waiting until i'd have time to fly it around here any way, so i have a lot of time to think about it, but just doing research
I have never had the 41 edge, but I do have the 48 and have had 40'' planes before. The difference is that the 48'' planes handle the wind a lot better and do fly smother than the smaller ones. If I were you I would go for the 48'' and get the recommended equipment.
Dec 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
new kid on the block
alright, that sounds like a good recommendation, now is there a cheaper motor and esc combo to use? i know i had one picked out for the 41" because i'm not exactly looking for the highest quality stuff, and usually the stuff they list on their website is pretty high-end stuff. also gona go for digital solar servos instead of hitecs, i use them in my helicopter and they are amazing for especially for the price.

and i have a friend that can goes to all the shows that can pick up for me, so no shipping, that helps too..
Dec 18, 2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468
alright, that sounds like a good recommendation, now is there a cheaper motor and esc combo to use? i know i had one picked out for the 41" because i'm not exactly looking for the highest quality stuff, and usually the stuff they list on their website is pretty high-end stuff. also gona go for digital solar servos instead of hitecs, i use them in my helicopter and they are amazing for especially for the price.

and i have a friend that can goes to all the shows that can pick up for me, so no shipping, that helps too..
You can go with some hobbyking motor/esc combo. I'm not very familiar with the HK line of motors they have but it wouldn't take you to long to find a match.
Dec 18, 2012, 01:17 AM
new kid on the block
ya my friend told me that you can skimp on motors but not esc's, i'll probably pick up a hobby wing premium line, those are pretty nice, but still a lot cheaper then phoenix... batteries aren't to bad, about the same as a 450 helicopter. are you guys typically running 4s or 3s?
Dec 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
Addicted to 3DHS, EF and Flex
I would not skimp on anything. the plane will not fly great, and you will just end up wasting money on parts that will not preform well and not last long.
Dec 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
If you go with the recommended equipment, you will have a plane that you know will perform the way it is supposed to, if you don't, it probably won't and you will only have to pay for new equipment to make it fly correctly

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
I went stock on all but ESC (had a 60A sky power from headsuprc and it works great) after making a potentially airframe destroying mistake on servos. Went with Emax mg and had so much aileron flutter on my first pass I thought the wing would separate! It didn't. I changed to the Hitec and have learned my lesson. You have to pay to play! Better to wait and get a nice setup you can enjoy. You'll end up spending more to replace in the long run. The reputable airframe companies (you know who they are) do pretty good component testing and have learned the value in a good setup recommendation. 3DHS is good since they often give a good better best option. Good luck and enjoy it- you will!
Dec 18, 2012, 10:57 AM
inverted-i-fly
I would start looking in the classified, better to buy the correct used components than stuff your going to replace latter. The one area for sure I wouldn't skimp is the servos, hs-65mg are the standard and really the bare minimum. Motor, I have the sunnysky 2820-950 and it is great, but if you are buying the plane from 3dhs and the motor at the same time, you get a discount on the motor, well worth it to spring for the 130g. ESC, I like the Platinum line from hobbywing as you can push 6v to the servos with the built in ubec
Dec 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
Mr. Michael, do not waste your time and money on EPO 3d planes. You either go with full fuse EPP or Balsa. I personally will recommend 3DHS 48" EPP Extra as a step stone. If you retire her someday, all the electronics can go to a 48" balsa. You can save some bucks using ESC from Exceed, Turnigy, Skywing, ZTW or Solar servos, but you will learn much faster with a good motor. The combo price for the ARF and Omega 130 is hard to beat already. I originally used Turnigy & alike 3542 in my 48~50" planes (similar spacs as Omega 130) and felt pretty good about the them until I really tried to get low and slow..Now I only use Omega, Torque and next would be Motrolfly because the performance is night and day. I have five 35xx motors from different brands laying around, I would only use them in warbirds or EPP profile.
Dec 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Fly Naked !
In addition to the DX7S and 540QQ I picked up yesterday at LHS I went ahead and ordered that OS .25 960kv motor I was talking about a while back. Won't be here till after Christmas but plenty to keep me busy until then.

Quick Reply