Nov 29, 2012, 07:50 AM
This is my first build with a castle speed control, ice lite 75. Any software things I need to do? Or just solder deans and motor plugs and go?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2012, 09:01 AM
Also how necessary is it to cut the hole in the bottom of the fuse for cooling?
Nov 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
I didn't actually measure to tell you. If you are brave and have telemetry it would be easy to measure if you wanted to have your maiden without cutting it...
At a high level it of course make sense to ensure good airflow so that hot air can vent through the back and make room for new cold air to enter through the nose...
What are your concerns? It takes two seconds to cut plus it gave me some access to secure one of the Rx's Antennas...
Nov 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest3
This is my first build with a castle speed control, ice lite 75. Any software things I need to do? Or just solder deans and motor plugs and go?
You should setup fixed end points instead of automatic and increase your BEC voltage to 6V. I also turn off any low voltage stuff - I'd rather ruin a battery than a plane.

Quote:
Also how necessary is it to cut the hole in the bottom of the fuse for cooling?
Unless you're flying in Alaska I'd say that it's necessary. And there's really no downside to doing it. It takes 30 seconds and will save your motor and ESC.
Nov 29, 2012, 09:35 AM
Alright anybody will to help me setup my esc, is it easy to learn? My castle adaptor won't be here for a bit. I have no idea how or what I'm doing, typically I just plug my eflite esc I and fly.
Nov 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Alright anybody will to help me setup my esc, is it easy to learn? My castle adaptor won't be here for a bit. I have no idea how or what I'm doing, typically I just plug my eflite esc I and fly.
You could start with.... the manual!

Just kidding (sort-of). The easiest thing is to get the field programmer for Castle. You just put the ESC into the field programmer (instead of the RX) and then apply power. It then allows you to go through each setting and select what you want.

I've got a link to a YouTube video that I need to dig out for setting fixed end points up. It's pretty easy and I could explain it to you but the video is just a lot simpler.

I'll dig it up and post it here soon unless anyone else already has it handy.
Nov 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Quote:
It's not that difficult. It can be confusing at first when reading the instructions on programming with your radio, but it can be done. You'll have more options available using the Castle Link programmer. To my knowledge however, you should be able to just plug it in and go. I don't remember having to do any programming to get my model flying when I used that ESC, though I did go through it later and increase the BEC to 6v. The default settings should at least be sufficient to get airborne while you wait for the Castle Link if you don't want to deal with programming via radio.

Check out the user guide for more info on how to program it.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf
Nov 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
There is also a thread regarding Fixed End Points.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1472412
Nov 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll
There is also a thread regarding Fixed End Points.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1472412
OK - the instructions for programming fixed end points are in that thread so use those.

The whole auto calibration versus fixed end point discussion was interesting. To me, the easiest, most hassle free thing to do is set fixed end points.
Nov 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thank you everyone, ill keep you posted
Nov 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
Fly Naked !
Went ahead and ordered yet another 48" Edge a few minutes ago (this makes 4 for me) and a new Omega 130. Went with orange again cause I really love those colors in the air. Will continue to fly my half orange/ half blue Franken Edge for trying out new tricks and may end up putting floats or skis on it for the winter which is already here. I had intended on going bigger but still can't decide. I just know I love this plane. To me it is damn near perfect for my rather limited skills and reflexes.
Nov 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON
Went ahead and ordered yet another 48" Edge a few minutes ago (this makes 4 for me) and a new Omega 130. Went with orange again cause I really love those colors in the air. Will continue to fly my half orange/ half blue Franken Edge for trying out new tricks and may end up putting floats or skis on it for the winter which is already here. I had intended on going bigger but still can't decide. I just know I love this plane. To me it is damn near perfect for my rather limited skills and reflexes.
My first Edge was an orange one and then I got blue/yellow to mix things up. I wish I had the orange again. Hmmmm...

If you want to go bigger then I would HIGHYL recommend the 3DHS 57" Extra. It has got to be one of the best airframes out there. Put a Motrofly 4315-714 in it with a 15x9 prop and you'll have a grin on your face that you just can't whipe off.

I haven't flown the 58" Edge but I hear it's awesome too (and I have zero doubts).
Nov 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON
I know the feeling-
I'm on my 3rd airframe, and I just put gear back in it after not having flown it for about 6 months. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Lol
A new Omega 130, HS65's on ailerons and elevator, and an HS85 on rudder. I put 3 packs through it last night, and after some minor trimming, it was ON! Even beat to hell like mine is, it still flew like day one.
Nov 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
3d addict
Hoping to maiden mine on Saturday. Just been a bit cold and a bit windy for maidening my first balsa plane. Hehe.
Nov 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
Fly Naked !
turnerm,
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel. Do you really need anything else to fly? I tend to find something I like and stick with it. For example I only wear Lee jeans, I only wear Drakar cologne, have owned 9 Suzuki motorcycles and 8 Chevys. I fell for the Edge 540 from watching the Red Bull air races. Would like to have a 41", 58", 74 and that 92" prototype Joe Smith has been testing to go along with my 48's. I do try new things and just recently switched from leaches to pills to treat my high blood pressure.

3DHS EDGE 92 540 pilot Joe Smith (6 min 57 sec)

Quick Reply