May 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
Team Hillbilly
Here is the first flight with the gopro from yesterday. She was very nose heavy so I kept it mellow. Sound is still there but I reduced the level and added some free music.
3dhs 48 Edge Gopro 5-12-12 Flight 1 (4 min 35 sec)
Last edited by tominator06; May 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
awesome video! that rolling harrier was insane!
May 13, 2012, 09:09 PM
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
You mean like cars, trees, and street signs? LOL!!

Oh and Mach... I also highly recommend the 51" Slick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFcQ...e_gdata_player

Turner those Torque Rolls when you got 4.5 of them were Sweet! Still alludes me though.

When I had my first 42 Slick I did them down in FL on Christmas vacation 2 years ago. Now I can't do them on any plane, but the 71 Slick feels like I could.
May 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
Team Hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesex
awesome video! that rolling harrier was insane!
Thanks for the kind words. Next time I will pull the battery back a little more and huck a little harder. I will also have the camera inside the case to get rid of the wind noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer
Now I can't do them on any plane, but the 71 Slick feels like I could.
Warren once you get the cg fully tweaked she will stand right up and sit there for ya. The key IMO is being able to hover bell in first before going to the torque roll.
You'll get it in no time.
May 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
Man Turner your flying is looking good.

I had a great night with the edge tonight. We had a rare 0 mph wind. I always have a little trouble hovering this plane cause of the wind that never goes away but tonight I did a 1+minute effortless hover. I still don't torque roll balsa planes but I had to do it tonight. Made me feel good. Im doing rolling harriers without thinking about it these days. Roll immediately after take off and roll in on my approach. Even knocked out some rolling loops. Got some advice from Joe on RF6 last night and was able to get the bottom half of the rolling loop figured out. Also, rolled to the right today without even having to think about it which never looked good before but super smooth today. Didn't do much inverted flight tonight. Basically just showing off some things i knew how to do cause the wife was there to watch 3 quick flight.

A quick note about Torque rolls. This may be obvious to yall but like I said I don't get much opportunity to practice hovering cause of our high winds. With the edge there are 2 ways to hover that it locks in super easy. 1 is with the nose just a tiny bit below vertical. This is what I normally do cause i have to keep the nose into the wind and it keeps from inducing much torque roll at all. 2nd is completely vertical wich makes a hover effortless but torque roll is inevitable. Almost impossible to stop it when u get it all the way vertical like that.

I gotta say to people that don't fly RF6 that are thinking about getting it you REALLY should. I can't believe how great it is. It has helped me with a lot of things in just a week or so of having it.

With phoenix I always had to much trouble just trying to get the plane to do what it was supposed to do, let alone trying to learn something new. I've developed some new "moves" since the last time I flew (3 weeks ago) and they all translated perfectly. Like there isn't even any adjustment needed it just works.

Here's one example of something great that RF6 taught me. When I get ready to punch out of a hover I give full throttle and full right rudder. About 1/2 way to level flight I give full left aileron and begin a rifle roller. First time i tried this live was a hover about 30-40 feet up. It went so perfect the next time was a hover about 5 feet up and about 10 feet by the time I was rolling. It was Awesome that there was no learning curve required.
May 13, 2012, 09:33 PM
When in doubt, mumble
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer
Marco- I crashed my 2nd 42" slick basically the same way. Was coming around for a second pass at a landing and flew behind the building. No good at all.
I've come to the conclusion that second passes aren't good at all. This weekend at Joe Nall a guy missed his landing and went around, lining up for the approach he strained a 100+ cc gasser through a tree. Balsa rain! They said last year 6 or 7 went through that same tree. Also watched a guy knife edge into some trees and one dude dipped a little too far in the water and couldn't recover. Pretty awesome crashes. Everyone clapped and cheered, pretty much gave them hell
May 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06
Here is the first flight with the gopro from yesterday. She was very nose heavy so I kept it mellow. Sound is still there but I reduced the level and added some free music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGKxJWwHuU
Dude... that was awesome! I really dig that video. Great flying too. Very cool view with the maneuvers you put it through. Thanks for sharing.
May 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
Fly Naked !
Think my problem with that school yard and landing in general is I set up for approach long and high like I'm flying a 747 or something. As maneuverable is this plane is I should be good enough on the sticks to do a low short approach and just land the damn thing without the 200 to 300 foot glide. Probably just a confidence thing. Something to work on.
May 14, 2012, 07:06 AM
I have already taught harrier landing with this airplane. It's very soft if you give some gas before touch and lower input on elevator. And this way you can land from elevator to small field quite easily.
May 14, 2012, 07:26 AM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer
Turner those Torque Rolls when you got 4.5 of them were Sweet! Still alludes me though.

When I had my first 42 Slick I did them down in FL on Christmas vacation 2 years ago. Now I can't do them on any plane, but the 71 Slick feels like I could.
Thanks man! For me it's just all about getting the plane nice and balanced before the torque roll starts. If you get it balanced then you really don't have to do much to keep the torque roll going - just a nudge on the rudder here and there.

When it's belly in just remember... low wing gets the rudder.
May 14, 2012, 07:31 AM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer
Man Turner your flying is looking good.

I had a great night with the edge tonight. We had a rare 0 mph wind. I always have a little trouble hovering this plane cause of the wind that never goes away but tonight I did a 1+minute effortless hover. I still don't torque roll balsa planes but I had to do it tonight. Made me feel good. Im doing rolling harriers without thinking about it these days. Roll immediately after take off and roll in on my approach. Even knocked out some rolling loops. Got some advice from Joe on RF6 last night and was able to get the bottom half of the rolling loop figured out. Also, rolled to the right today without even having to think about it which never looked good before but super smooth today. Didn't do much inverted flight tonight. Basically just showing off some things i knew how to do cause the wife was there to watch 3 quick flight.

A quick note about Torque rolls. This may be obvious to yall but like I said I don't get much opportunity to practice hovering cause of our high winds. With the edge there are 2 ways to hover that it locks in super easy. 1 is with the nose just a tiny bit below vertical. This is what I normally do cause i have to keep the nose into the wind and it keeps from inducing much torque roll at all. 2nd is completely vertical wich makes a hover effortless but torque roll is inevitable. Almost impossible to stop it when u get it all the way vertical like that.

I gotta say to people that don't fly RF6 that are thinking about getting it you REALLY should. I can't believe how great it is. It has helped me with a lot of things in just a week or so of having it.

With phoenix I always had to much trouble just trying to get the plane to do what it was supposed to do, let alone trying to learn something new. I've developed some new "moves" since the last time I flew (3 weeks ago) and they all translated perfectly. Like there isn't even any adjustment needed it just works.

Here's one example of something great that RF6 taught me. When I get ready to punch out of a hover I give full throttle and full right rudder. About 1/2 way to level flight I give full left aileron and begin a rifle roller. First time i tried this live was a hover about 30-40 feet up. It went so perfect the next time was a hover about 5 feet up and about 10 feet by the time I was rolling. It was Awesome that there was no learning curve required.
Thanks Dave!

Sounds like yours is coming right along too!! Rolling to the right now... rolling loops! Geez!! You'r like the rolling harrier master now!!

I need to work on rolling to the right soon. I've done a few rolling loops if you can call it that but I do cheat towards the bottom. I can usually get up and over the top and maintain a little on my downline but they start falling apart coming through the bottom portion.

Sounds like I need to get RF6 and start practicing because I HATE how rollers work in Phoenix. I learned them first in there but then I pretty much had to unwind all that I had learned and reteach myself on my real planes. Phoenix basically requires that you hit elevator when the plane is is KE orientation and that's just not how it works in real life...
May 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
House of Paine
Try the big Cap in Phoenix. I think even out of the box it felt pretty good on rollers (if I remember correctly) and with a few edits it feels very close to real life for me.
May 14, 2012, 01:04 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Awesome day for a maiden

Motor: Omega 130 on 4s with a 12/6 power point prop
Battery: 4S-2200 nano-Tech
Servos: HS-65MG's

Just put the first two flights on my new 48" Edge. I have been waiting a long time to get one of these. It was well worth the wait. Unbelievably outstanding flight characteristics. Made for a really enjoyable and predictable flight experience.
4S is kinda crazy at 45oz. RTF. Equals out to about 250W/lb. Can't wait to try it on a 3S-2200 with a 14x7.

The extra 1" WS changed the wing load just enough from the old design to make it nice, light and floaty on 4S. No KE coupling. No wing rock. No crazy tip stalling/ flipping unexpectedly (like some other brand edge designs- I won't mention any names ****COUgh**electrifly**uuhmmm)
Construction is nothing short of excellent. Everything fit up perfectly. Covering is even with no wrinkles. Stiff stiff stiff design.

3DHS has outdone themselves again with the redesigned Edge. Love the carbon strung through the length of the new fuse. Love the new wire LG's on the 48". Love the scale cowl. Love the blue and yellow scheme. Metal wing lugs are a great idea- makes for a nice finish.

I attached a pic for your enjoyment. Its taken with an iPhone and the lighting sucks because they are hanging on the wall behind our paint booth.

Absolutely love this frame,
Well done Ben and team.

Hebert (that's Cajun for A-Bear)
Last edited by BustedBlades; May 14, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
May 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Thanks Dave!

Sounds like yours is coming right along too!! Rolling to the right now... rolling loops! Geez!! You'r like the rolling harrier master now!!

I need to work on rolling to the right soon. I've done a few rolling loops if you can call it that but I do cheat towards the bottom. I can usually get up and over the top and maintain a little on my downline but they start falling apart coming through the bottom portion.

Sounds like I need to get RF6 and start practicing because I HATE how rollers work in Phoenix. I learned them first in there but then I pretty much had to unwind all that I had learned and reteach myself on my real planes. Phoenix basically requires that you hit elevator when the plane is is KE orientation and that's just not how it works in real life...
mhhh glad i jsut subbed back to this thread today because i have had thoughts about getting this plane and now i saw daves post about RF6 sounds like thats what i need alot! I think RF6 soon as possible 2 weeks maybe.
May 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
Fear is the mind killer

flight sim

Did some computer savvy plane nerd come up with a 3DHS 48" Edge for Phoenix flight sim?

...and if so, where can I download it?

Quick Reply