Jan 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
RC Pilot / Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn
so i did my motor run ups today on the motrolfly 2815-950. 13x6.5 pulled an average 440 watts with a peak of 49 amps. 14x7 pulled 55 amps peak with an average 560 watts. Im happy with the power of the 14x7 but the hub is just a little thicker than the 13x6.5 so i cant run the spinner. the 13x6.5 was just barely thick enough to get full threads on the spinner nut. i still have enough clearance that you could easily run a 16" prop. I cant wait to fly this plane. between this, my 58 edge that needs a maiden, and my 33" epp extra that needs a re-maiden with a new motrolfly motor i'm going nuts with the bad weather. I guess a weekend full of goose hunting will take my mind off it...

Believe it or not, I just ran up my new Omega 103g 1030 in my 47" SHP with a 13x6.5 prop, and pulled 540w on 46a static. Granted it was with a 2650 3s 30c battery, so I expect to get closer to 40a with my 2200 25c batteries.
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
Just finished off converting from the Stock 65MG Rudder Servo arm to the 3DHS Phenolic.

Barely had enough wire to make the stretch, little tight for now, but they will stretch into place probably just right. I'm actually using less Sub trim now so it looks good. No binding, getting full deflection, will touch the elevator if I let it, backed off a quarter inch.

Also rechecked the ailerons and things have broken in, slipped a little on alignment. Had 30° up on the one side and almost 35° up on the other. Got that all back to 30° both sides and down deflections the same. Should make the Snaps and Rollers more axial now. Probably why the Snaps looked so strange.

Probably will go fly later after lunch if the sun comes out and winds not too strong from the NNE. Hoping to at least get it up to 32° air temp. 29 now. Also giving the JVS time to plow out...
Jan 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer
Probably will go fly later after lunch if the sun comes out and winds not too strong from the NNE. Hoping to at least get it up to 32° air temp. 29 now. Also giving the JVS time to plow out...
You're lucky. The weather is crappy here today. Rain is off and on all day to the point that you can't even sneak out for a few minutes to fly. Plus it will go from dead calm winds one minute to 15-18mph wind gusts the next.

But I think tomorrow will be better. It will still be cloudy but the wind should only be around 10mph and there isn't supposed to be any rain.

I can't wait to try some KE loops with my new rudder setup. I could do them before but they were big huuuuge 200 footers. And slow, high alpha knife edge passes weren't really possible - hopefully they are now.
Jan 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
You're lucky. The weather is crappy here today. Rain is off and on all day
Same over here in Shelby. Even thundering some. Was planning to fly tomorrow but by the looks of the weather it does not look like it.

I should be (hoping) to order my 1.5 Huck within the next couple weeks.

I just had some questions about assembly.

Is the rudder pull-pull set-up hard to do? Any tips there? I have never set up a pull-pull type servo before.

About the tail wheel, is it pretty much the sam as the 41" huck too?

Other than that, is the assembly pretty much the same as the 41" huck? As far as hinging and the cowl alignment and LG and wheels/pants?

I will take my time with this build, as I do all my ARF's. Weather seems to be crappy this time of year anyway, wind, rain, or both seems like all the time. So its a good time to build. Besides I plan to buy the airframe and motor first then get little by little until I get all electronics that I want in there.
Jan 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904
Same over here in Shelby. Even thundering some. Was planning to fly tomorrow but by the looks of the weather it does not look like it.

Is the rudder pull-pull set-up hard to do? Any tips there? I have never set up a pull-pull type servo before.

Other than that, is the assembly pretty much the same as the 41" huck? As far as hinging and the cowl alignment and LG and wheels/pants?

I will take my time with this build, as I do all my ARF's. Weather seems to be crappy this time of year anyway, wind, rain, or both seems like all the time. So its a good time to build. Besides I plan to buy the airframe and motor first then get little by little until I get all electronics that I want in there.
The pull/pull is a bit of pain in the arse if you ask me. But just follow the directions and you should be fine.

Can't speak for the 41" Edge setup but I'm guessing this build will be VERY similar.
Jan 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904

Go to Vimeo and search for IPSmotors build video of the 42 Slick, almost all the same (except the LG, which is like the BH.)
Jan 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Oh and for the LG on this one you will want to bevel the trailing edge of the fairing down about 45 degrees (away from the fuselage) to keep from denting the fuselage when the wire gear bends back. The other mod to the LG would be to use the screw hold LG mod. Search this thread for pics.
Jan 21, 2012, 01:33 PM

Spinner

I got the 1 3/4" (44.5mm) Great Planes spinner with the aluminum back plate. I had to enlarge the hole slightly for the motor shaft and had to file off a bit of the spinner where the prop blades were contacting the spinner to provide clearance. All is good.
Jan 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
You're lucky. The weather is crappy here today. Rain is off and on all day to the point that you can't even sneak out for a few minutes to fly. Plus it will go from dead calm winds one minute to 15-18mph wind gusts the next.

But I think tomorrow will be better. It will still be cloudy but the wind should only be around 10mph and there isn't supposed to be any rain.

I can't wait to try some KE loops with my new rudder setup. I could do them before but they were big huuuuge 200 footers. And slow, high alpha knife edge passes weren't really possible - hopefully they are now.

Have you just added the 3DHS Long Arm also? Missed that back a few pages...

I need to add to my Yak Ailerons next. Got spares now.
Jan 21, 2012, 06:32 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
[QUOTE=big_poppa4904;20492965]I just had some questions about assembly.

Is the rudder pull-pull set-up hard to do? Any tips there? I have never set up a pull-pull type servo before. QUOTE]

Big Poppa,

Here is the link to IPSmotors build for the 47" Extra. Pretty much the same for the 48" 1-1/2 buck huck.

3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP Build Video #2 (10 min 50 sec)

On my most recent build, I used the soldering iron to cut the openings like in the vid. Cripes was done in seconds compared to using a exacto knife to do this. Watch the vids, the pull-pull system is easy to assemble.

Good Luck,

Ron
Jan 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
Well, my Edge/Vyper decision was made for me. I came home Friday after work and found an orange Edge on my front porch. One of my buddies helped me out, lol. I got some good friends!
Jan 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantsfgds
Well, my Edge/Vyper decision was made for me. I came home Friday after work and found an orange Edge on my front porch. One of my buddies helped me out, lol. I got some good friends!
I need friends like that!! Congrats glad to have you in the club!
Jan 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantsfgds
If your friends need another friend just let me know. I'm accepting new friends at the moment.
Jan 21, 2012, 09:52 PM

Position of cowl

I though I was done building the model. When I placed the canopy on the cowl was blocking it. It looks like I need to reposition the cowl as high as possible to allow the canopy to slide under the top of the cowl. Is that right?
Jan 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolof
I though I was done building the model. When I placed the canopy on the cowl was blocking it. It looks like I need to reposition the cowl as high as possible to allow the canopy to slide under the top of the cowl. Is that right?
You should have had the canopy on when you fitted the cowling...and a good trick when fitting the cowl is to put a strip of masking tape on the top front of the canopy, just to give a little extra clearance... This pretty much standard on the majority of 3DHS planes. The exceptions that I know of are Slicks and 72" Extras..

SteveT
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply