Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar

Land of disenchantment


Hey charles!! You know I won't get on a real airplane!
If you didn't,now ya do!
Can't wait to see ya at AZ open !
Tom(I don't fly) Martin
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
Follow me to sink!
BavarianCharles's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury
Hey charles!! You know I won't get on a real airplane!
If you didn't,now ya do!
Can't wait to see ya at AZ open !
Tom(I don't fly) Martin
Tom,

keep practicing those launches. If the contest takes place at Schnepf Farm, and the wind blows from the East - which it does frequently - then you'll have to clear a row of tall trees to get to thermals forming over plowed land. I can't clear the trees, and get sucked into the downwash. Not even the wind can dry my tears ...

If it takes place at SAGE (Please!), then it's wide open, and high launches are optional.

Nov 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar
Yup, that tree lines at schnapps farm makes things real interesting!really
Cool field ,great contest
Tom
Nov 17, 2012, 06:23 PM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar
Got out this mornin for flyin, real nice conditions- soft subtle lift.
Bagged on tryin to video with iPhone
Tom
Nov 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User
buzzfly's Avatar
Greg and I got out for a little bit today. The conditions were cool overcast with a very slight breeze. I didn't expect to see any thermal activity at all but I was wrong. A 50 foot trim launch turned into a two plus minute flight. For an extended period of time although overcast, thermal conditions held well. Eventually the temperatures dropped and the rain came in, but only a slight drizzle. Greg and I continued to find lift through it all. Eventually the temperatures dropped and we did man on man for 2 minute drills. All in all it was a great day. I look forward to getting together with all of you in the future.

-- the markster
Nov 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar
Sounds cool guys
See ya
Tom
Nov 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
Follow me to sink!
BavarianCharles's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzfly
Greg and I got out for a little bit today. The conditions were cool overcast with a very slight breeze. I didn't expect to see any thermal activity at all but I was wrong. A 50 foot trim launch turned into a two plus minute flight. For an extended period of time although overcast, thermal conditions held well. Eventually the temperatures dropped and the rain came in, but only a slight drizzle. Greg and I continued to find lift through it all. Eventually the temperatures dropped and we did man on man for 2 minute drills. All in all it was a great day. I look forward to getting together with all of you in the future.

-- the markster
Please make it to the JEM, and/or AZ Open Feb 23-24 - you, Greg, Tom, ASK, Matt, etc. Everest has already crossed over to the dark side, forever ...

Nov 17, 2012, 09:09 PM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar
Nnoooooooo!!!!
Everest was our great white hope!!
D@mm you AZ
See ya in feb
Tom
Nov 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
I'll be at the SoarABQ meet on the 24th.

Yours, Greg
Nov 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar
Way cool Greg ,
See ya
Tom
Nov 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Registered User
buzzfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
Please make it to the JEM, and/or AZ Open Feb 23-24 - you, Greg, Tom, ASK, Matt, etc. Everest has already crossed over to the dark side, forever ...

Charles,

I'm hoping to make it to the AZ open, but my schedule has been demanding this year -- far beyond what I had expected. As the event gets closer, I'll have a better grip on how likely my participation will be.

Looking forward to flying with you again!

-- Mark
Nov 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
ASK
ASK
Registered User
ASK's Avatar
Yes, indeed. We get to fly together next Saturday, November 24th.

In case of inclement weather, backup day is Sunday, November 25th.

Starting time is 9:30 a.m., warm up at 9:00 a.m.

Attending:
Tom Martin
Greg McGill
Aradhana Singh Khalsa
Matt Aurand
???

Please let me know. See you then!

Aradhana Singh
Hand Launch Mother
Last edited by ASK; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Nov 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
up from the skies
Tmfury's Avatar

Land of enchantment


Sounds great Aradhana!!
Lookin forward to a fun day!
How you been?
Tom
Nov 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
the icbm of pilots
skylerraver's Avatar
If its Sunday I might be able to join you
Nov 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
ASK
ASK
Registered User
ASK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury
Sounds great Aradhana!!
Lookin forward to a fun day!
How you been?
Tom
Hey Tom. I've been great!
I'm enjoying hearing about your flying; gives me a gratuitous experience. I've been working on multiple projects, and having most kinds of fun except flying. I'm looking forward to this weekend with everyone.

In answer to a couple other questions:
Where?: Gardner Turfgrass (sod farm)

Sunday Backup?: Keep an eye out for changes to the schedule, which I'll post
here and on the ASA Google Group. I watch this group by having Google email every post to my email account.

Sunday has always been an optional day if the Saturday gets blown or stormed out. Right now the long range forecast has winds 8-10 and typical temps for November. High in the 50's. I wear an extra layer if clothing for the beginning, which I take off when it warms up.

Perhaps if we add a couple hand launches for ourselves, outside of the ASA schedule, we can have them on Sundays? That way Skyler can join us.
Last edited by ASK; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:53 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Colorado DLG Happenings... djensen Hand Launch 11052 Today 07:30 AM
Discussion Utah DLG happenings... like.2.fly Hand Launch 26756 Today 01:27 AM
Discussion Idaho DLG Happenings LostVisual Hand Launch 316 May 26, 2014 08:02 AM
Discussion Los Angeles / Orange Co. DLG Happenings MattN Hand Launch 27 Dec 10, 2010 06:57 PM
Discussion Inland Empire- CA DLG Happenings jcats Hand Launch 13 Dec 02, 2010 01:51 PM