Aug 19, 2011, 07:48 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDTOM
Lookin good man, what your auw and stuff?

Sorry, AUW 1139 grams without battery.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
AMA 46133
>>I hate gluing anything, but it works.<<

On the contrary I love gluing. To me epoxy is stronger and lighter than stainless hardware. The main problem is that I cannot take it apart once glued.

The reason I was gluing is trying to minimize bolts and nuts plus I really wanted the rigidity of two blocks per arm but that would add a little weight. So if I glue the middle and put a center plate I was hoping for the rigidity that I want.

>>I wonder if you could take a short section of 5/8" pultruded, then cut it in half long ways. It would then just be a spacer, and the clamp could still hold it without glue (maybe). I'll let you test that theory <<

Sorry, I have done that. Those pultrude carbon is pilau (Hawaiian for real bad). They split and splinter and will not stay in there without falling apart.

I was thinking about doing a glued together carbon section for the middle and make the aluminum tubes slide in and out. I couldn't figure out a good way to keep the aluminum tubes in place without drilling holes.

The next thing I may try is to see if the clamping action from one block is enough to hold the aluminum tube inside the carbon tube.

>>BTW, I'm happy to announce that I've finally figured out how to get rid of the fuzz that's been on the cut surfaces of the blocks recently. I'm not sure if it bothered anyone else, but it's sure irritated me.<<

I am glad it irritates you. I doesn't bother me but they will look nicer without the fuzz.
Aug 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3

BTW, I'm happy to announce that I've finally figured out how to get rid of the fuzz that's been on the cut surfaces of the blocks recently. I'm not sure if it bothered anyone else, but it's sure irritated me.
Cheers,
Rusty
Yup, my grinder met every block before assembly
Aug 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota
Yup, my grinder met every block before assembly
You're grinder won't be completely out of a job, because you'll still have the tabs

I snip the tabs off with flush cutters like you use for tie wraps, but the fuzz had to be scrubbed off with a stiff brush.

In case anyone cares, the reason it was there is because somewhere along the line, the default cutting direction changed in my software. It was probably when I went from Cut 2D to Aspire, which is also when I started making the two piece blocks. The advancing side of the bit should be the one doing the cutting, but that hasn't been the case recently.

Rusty (weekend block-a-thon)
Aug 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
You're grinder won't be completely out of a job, because you'll still have the tabs

I snip the tabs off with flush cutters like you use for tie wraps, but the fuzz had to be scrubbed off with a stiff brush.

In case anyone cares, the reason it was there is because somewhere along the line, the default cutting direction changed in my software. It was probably when I went from Cut 2D to Aspire, which is also when I started making the two piece blocks. The advancing side of the bit should be the one doing the cutting, but that hasn't been the case recently.

Rusty (weekend block-a-thon)
Grinder did double duty(tabs/fuzz) I'm not one to complain. The overall quality is the best and I appreciate the additional help among the numerous PM's. My 900mm Y6 is now in the air, and has also remained intact when not(pilot error) Thank you for all the help.
Aug 20, 2011, 05:42 AM

An Old Rusty Frame

I thought I would post a couple of videos from an "Old" Rusty frame. This particular implementation is made from various parts sold by Rusty and is the latest version after a couple of years of evolution. First, here is what the quadcopter looks like:

When fully loaded as shown, it weighs 78.5 oz (2225 grams) and includes the following:

1) MK FC 2.0 & BL Ctrl 2.0
2) Avroto 2814 motors with APC 1147 props
3) EagleTree V4 logger with OSD & Altimeter
4) 5800 mAh Battery & 400 mAh FPV battery
5) FPV Camera: KPC-VBN190NH
6) FPV TX 1 Watt Lawmate with OMM Filter & Pinwheel Antenna
7) FX-35 HD Camera in Foam Mount
8) Xbee 900 Mhz TX for MK data
9) Two 2.4 Ghz Beacon TXs
10) FASST 2.4 Ghz Rx with OMM converter

I've been able to fly this system for 16 mins in a long distance flight (not hovering)

Here a simple yaw at well over 1000 Ft altitude:

and here is a short video of a couple of young deer that like to sleep by my barn:

(my flying is not the best here because I was a little nervous flying FPV so close to the trees and barn)

OMM
Aug 20, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota
Grinder did double duty(tabs/fuzz) I'm not one to complain. The overall quality is the best and I appreciate the additional help among the numerous PM's. My 900mm Y6 is now in the air, and has also remained intact when not(pilot error) Thank you for all the help.
Thanks for the nice comments. Glad to hear the frame is working well for you

I'm constantly trying to improve the parts, and I'm pretty happy with what's coming off the machines these days. It's almost embarrassing now to look back at the early Rev-7 plates. The holes had to be over sized because the old V90 machine wasn't accurate enough for precise placement. The plates weren't exactly round either, so I had to mark them so they could be assembled in the same orientation in order to match each other. Yuck!

Aspire software, and the new Comet machines have made a world of difference. The new plates will not have an orientation mark, because they're symmetrical, and accurate enough that it won't matter how you turn it around. Fortunately, I've been able to improve the method as well, and if this weekend's block-a-thon goes well, I'll probably be able to reduce the price of the blocks a bit.

Rusty
Aug 20, 2011, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike
I thought I would post a couple of videos from an "Old" Rusty frame. This particular implementation is made from various parts sold by Rusty and is the latest version after a couple of years of evolution. First, here is what the quadcopter looks like:
Always a pleasure to see what the old man is up to

If there's anyone who doesn't already know, Mike has probably inspired more interest in quad video than anyone on the planet. Even in the old days, with inferior electronics, he has produced the most amazing videos!

Of course, he's also an exceptional engineer, and an RF genius

Cheers,
Rusty
Aug 20, 2011, 09:07 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Rusty: Can you let me know the cost of three CF plates? I just bought the rev-8 but might be able to benefit from shedding weight by the feel of it so far. I have not weighed my setup yet but I'm thinking its already 3.5-5 pounds for sure.
Aug 20, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips
Rusty: Can you let me know the cost of three CF plates? I just bought the rev-8 but might be able to benefit from shedding weight by the feel of it so far. I have not weighed my setup yet but I'm thinking its already 3.5-5 pounds for sure.
The biggest problem right now is finding the right CF. I can get 1/16" from McMaster-Carr at a reasonable (relative to CF) price, but it's not that much lighter than the G10. The weight savings certainly isn't worth the cost.

What I'm looking for is rigid CF in about 0.050" thickness, but so far, I've ordered two pieces that were useless because they're only single sided. I found double sided, but it was double the price it should be.

Can anyone point to some double sided, rigid CF in about 0.050" thickness, or the metric equivalent?

Cheers,
Rusty
Aug 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips
x2.
Aug 20, 2011, 11:03 AM
6x6 for 20.44
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=70

other sizes get pricey. Its Surprising you can't buy carbon fiber in every shape/size these days.
Aug 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
aka Helidaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike

When fully loaded as shown, it weighs 78.5 oz (2225 grams) and includes the following:

1) MK FC 2.0 & BL Ctrl 2.0
2) Avroto 2814 motors with APC 1147 props
3) EagleTree V4 logger with OSD & Altimeter
4) 5800 mAh Battery & 400 mAh FPV battery
5) FPV Camera: KPC-VBN190NH
6) FPV TX 1 Watt Lawmate with OMM Filter & Pinwheel Antenna
7) FX-35 HD Camera in Foam Mount
8) Xbee 900 Mhz TX for MK data
9) Two 2.4 Ghz Beacon TXs
10) FASST 2.4 Ghz Rx with OMM converter

I've been able to fly this system for 16 mins in a long distance flight (not hovering)

OMM
My first attempt at building my rusty quad rev 8 came in at 2200g AUW and I could only muster about 6 minutes flight time with 11x4.7 props and a 5000mAh 3s battery. Are the Avroto's really that much more efficient than the RCtimer 2836/11 motors?

That's amazing! I want 16 minute flight times

Quote:
Always a pleasure to see what the old man is up to

If there's anyone who doesn't already know, Mike has probably inspired more interest in quad video than anyone on the planet. Even in the old days, with inferior electronics, he has produced the most amazing videos!

Of course, he's also an exceptional engineer, and an RF genius

Cheers,
Rusty
I agree, I was inspired by the OMM thread long ago when I was just a lurker here and trying to figure out what multicopters were all about! He sure knows his stuff!

Paul
Aug 20, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign
6x6 for 20.44
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=70

other sizes get pricey. Its Surprising you can't buy carbon fiber in every shape/size these days.
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't notice that it's single sided. One side is rough, almost raw CF, meant for bonding. Imagine how I know this

Now see if you can find the next place I tried

Rusty
Aug 20, 2011, 12:11 PM
wow, thats BS. I'd be livid lol.

Rusty-

Have you ever mounted an arducopter board on your plates? I am currently using the 2 most inboard holes where the inner delrin blocks would go. For the back, it hangs over the 2" hole.

Do I need to buy a universal undrilled one?

Thanks,
d

Quick Reply