Thread Tools
Jan 05, 2013, 07:47 PM
Registered User
Could anyone gime me some recommendations on what their favorite / most optimum / ultimate tools are for working with all the 4-40 hex screws and nuts on Rusty's UAP1 Frame? Up till now I've just used a universal screw driver with a torx bit, ikea style alan key, far too large adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers. It's been barbaric. My weak excuse is that the closet Home Depot to the island where I live has nothing in the 4-40 range and I haven't been into the city in a while.
Last edited by featherodd; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2013, 09:26 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherodd
Could anyone gime me some recommendations on what their favorite / most optimum / ultimate tools are for working with all the 4-40 hex screws and nuts on Rusty's UAP1 Frame? Up till now I've just used a universal screw driver with a torx bit, ikea style alan key, far too large adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers. It's been barbaric. My weak excuse is that the closet Home Depot to the island where I live has nothing in the 4-40 range and I haven't been into the city in a while.
Handles:

4-40 socket head screws use 3/32" Allen head. Do a search on eBay and you find lots of options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290836814853...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310403004979...84.m1497.l2649

Allen head bits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190770058501...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370579188578...84.m1497.l2649

Sockets for nuts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121016881292...84.m1497.l2649
Jan 06, 2013, 02:59 AM
Registered User
My new Y6 frame from Rusty has just arrived, I'm looking forward to as a kid! This should I use with my Canon 550D, also sometimes GoPro Hero 3 either alone, or together with the Canon 550D. If I'm going to use 1 or 2 5000 4S, but would like to assume that I'm using 2 batteries, so I stock size for a weight that is ideal for this.
Engines are Avroto M2814-11S V3.
Considering either 11in or 12in propeller, Graupner e-props (or other experiences with the size of the propellers?)
But has anyone experience with the boom length is ideal for such a setup, considering possibly a longer yaw boom, I have 23 "(16x1.5mm) booms from Fly Carbon USA.
Must admit that I want to have my Y6 as large as possible, but also the most stable of course, since I use my equipment in the business purposes.
Jan 06, 2013, 03:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifotos
My new Y6 frame from Rusty has just arrived, I'm looking forward to as a kid! This should I use with my Canon 550D, also sometimes GoPro Hero 3 either alone, or together with the Canon 550D. If I'm going to use 1 or 2 5000 4S, but would like to assume that I'm using 2 batteries, so I stock size for a weight that is ideal for this.
Engines are Avroto M2814-11S V3.
Considering either 11in or 12in propeller, Graupner e-props (or other experiences with the size of the propellers?)
But has anyone experience with the boom length is ideal for such a setup, considering possibly a longer yaw boom, I have 23 "(16x1.5mm) booms from Fly Carbon USA.
Must admit that I want to have my Y6 as large as possible, but also the most stable of course, since I use my equipment in the business purposes.
I believe the optimum APC props for those 2814 are 12 x 3.8. For a hexacopter, you would need at least 13" booms. For a Y6 you could go shorter, but 13" is a good length. I haven't setup my UAP1 frame setup as a Y6 yet, so hopefully others can confirm.

I'm also flying a 550D with a UG-1 Gimbal and would say yeah, you're probably gonna want to use 2x 4S 5000mah Lipos, otherwise you'll be dropping out of the sky sonner that you'd like.
Last edited by featherodd; Jan 06, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Jan 06, 2013, 03:25 AM
Registered User
Seismic: thanks for the tool suggestions. I appreciate it.
Jan 06, 2013, 03:59 AM
Registered User
Thank you so much for your response. But I have very good experience with Graupner propellers on all my other models, to have enough got a fondness for these, so here is it really what size I should choose. When it comes to the length of the booms, so do you think that 13 "is a good length, but would ideally use longer length? For as I wrote, I want the highest possible, but not over sized because I want it bigger ...: ) to what with a longer tail boom?
Jan 06, 2013, 06:16 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifotos
Thank you so much for your response. But I have very good experience with Graupner propellers on all my other models, to have enough got a fondness for these, so here is it really what size I should choose. When it comes to the length of the booms, so do you think that 13 "is a good length, but would ideally use longer length? For as I wrote, I want the highest possible, but not over sized because I want it bigger ...: ) to what with a longer tail boom?
The longer your booms are the less strength they will have and the more they will weigh. I'd recommend making them as long as you need them to be. If you need them to be longer, make them longer.

Here's some data on how various props perform on the Avroto motors
http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/615

According to that data the Graupner 11x5 seem to perform similar to the APC 12x3.8, which is the optimum APC prop. I've never used Graupner myself, but the 11x5 looks like a good bet. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
Last edited by featherodd; Jan 06, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Jan 06, 2013, 12:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherodd
I believe the optimum APC props for those 2814 are 12 x 3.8. For a hexacopter, you would need at least 13" booms. For a Y6 you could go shorter, but 13" is a good length. I haven't setup my UAP1 frame setup as a Y6 yet, so hopefully others can confirm.

I'm also flying a 550D with a UG-1 Gimbal and would say yeah, you're probably gonna want to use 2x 4S 5000mah Lipos, otherwise you'll be dropping out of the sky sonner that you'd like.
My y6 with a 550D and gimbal AUW weighs in at 4.3kg. I can safely get 9 mins of flight time with 2x 4000mah 4s (zippy compacts - saves a lot of weight). I believe that my booms are 15". I am using 12x3.8 on top and 13x6.5 on bottom. Not the most efficient. i would probably try 12x5/12x7 XOARs if I switched it yp.
Jan 06, 2013, 12:13 PM
Part 107 Certified
Mike SF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherodd
Could anyone gime me some recommendations on what their favorite / most optimum / ultimate tools are for working with all the 4-40 hex screws and nuts on Rusty's UAP1 Frame? Up till now I've just used a universal screw driver with a torx bit, ikea style alan key, far too large adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers. It's been barbaric. My weak excuse is that the closet Home Depot to the island where I live has nothing in the 4-40 range and I haven't been into the city in a while.
I'm using a 1/4" wrench and also a small power tool.
Jan 06, 2013, 12:19 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifotos
My new Y6 frame from Rusty has just arrived, I'm looking forward to as a kid! This should I use with my Canon 550D, also sometimes GoPro Hero 3 either alone, or together with the Canon 550D. If I'm going to use 1 or 2 5000 4S, but would like to assume that I'm using 2 batteries, so I stock size for a weight that is ideal for this.
Engines are Avroto M2814-11S V3.
Considering either 11in or 12in propeller, Graupner e-props (or other experiences with the size of the propellers?)
But has anyone experience with the boom length is ideal for such a setup, considering possibly a longer yaw boom, I have 23 "(16x1.5mm) booms from Fly Carbon USA.
Must admit that I want to have my Y6 as large as possible, but also the most stable of course, since I use my equipment in the business purposes.
You may consider 28" from motor shaft to motor shaft. For a Y6 I will also try using APC 12 X 3.8 on top and 11 X 4.7 on the bottom. Works very well for me.
Jan 07, 2013, 02:19 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
You may consider 28" from motor shaft to motor shaft. For a Y6 I will also try using APC 12 X 3.8 on top and 11 X 4.7 on the bottom. Works very well for me.
I think it might be 28 "from the motor shaft to the motor shaft, instinct seems to be going in that direction
Jan 07, 2013, 10:08 PM
aka Helidaho
AeroVideoUS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherodd
Could anyone gime me some recommendations on what their favorite / most optimum / ultimate tools are for working with all the 4-40 hex screws and nuts on Rusty's UAP1 Frame? Up till now I've just used a universal screw driver with a torx bit, ikea style alan key, far too large adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers. It's been barbaric. My weak excuse is that the closet Home Depot to the island where I live has nothing in the 4-40 range and I haven't been into the city in a while.
I drilled out all the holes to fit M3 hardware and love it!

Wasn't the US supposed to go metric back in the 70's?
Jan 07, 2013, 10:11 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS
I drilled out all the holes to fit M3 hardware and love it!

Wasn't the US supposed to go metric back in the 70's?
Yeah that would have been so much easier. We all learned metric in school but the US backed out.
Jan 07, 2013, 11:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS
I drilled out all the holes to fit M3 hardware and love it!

Wasn't the US supposed to go metric back in the 70's?
Man I was tempted. Glad someone did
Jan 07, 2013, 11:30 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
You may consider 28" from motor shaft to motor shaft. For a Y6 I will also try using APC 12 X 3.8 on top and 11 X 4.7 on the bottom. Works very well for me.
So around 15-16" booms?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Rusty's Rev-8 Frame Kit 13brv3 Multirotor Drone Talk 19 Mar 12, 2015 09:03 AM
New Product Rusty's Cheap DIY Frame Parts 13brv3 Multirotor Drone Talk 22 Dec 05, 2010 12:16 AM
Alert SOLD- Quadcopter-ARF-Rusty's Rev-7 frame, QP FC board, + extras - US $300 shipped Mactadpole Multirotor Drone Talk 3 Oct 12, 2010 10:16 PM
Sold Quadcopter-ARF-Rusty's Rev-7 frame, Quadpowered FC board, + extras - US $300 shipped Mactadpole Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Oct 12, 2010 01:23 PM
Question What Landing Gear for Rusty's Frame? (Or any frame) Zirt57 Multirotor Drone Talk 16 Aug 05, 2010 02:30 PM