Jul 10, 2011, 02:13 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobby Engine 'Life at the Extreme' Volvo Open 70 Class Yacht

Starting this thread to find out if anyone has first hand knowledge of Hobby Engine's 'Life at the Extreme' Volvo Open 70 Class Yacht.

I like scale models, especially when they are RC and functional so this model caught my attention. When I first learned of the boat I couldn't find any decent pictures of it or very much detail on the boat.

On another thread, a fellow considering gettting into RC Sailing asked about it, which rasied my interest again. I did some more investigating and the information I have found thus far is containted in this posting.

I started this thread to provide the information I had on it, and in the hope that other forum members could add to that, and in doing so provide some good base line information on what appears to be a pretty nice RC Yacht. I have attached a copy of a review I have been able to find published back in 2009 and some decent photos that will get things rolling.

The price of this boat is all over the map - from a high $493.42 (excluding tax) plus shipping to another supplier at $306.85 or 192.99 (no idea on shipping costs) to the one I found on a closed e-bay action with the Winning bid of :121.90 (88.00) +shipping from the UK. Quite a range of prices. I think the E-bay bid was a lucky deal for the guy that got it.

The link to the review is http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=5277

Here are the boat's specifications as listed on several dealers web sites:
2 Channel Digital Proportional Radio Included
High Quality Fibreglass hull
High Torque Sail Winch Servo
Changeable Crystals
All Metal Accessories
Racing Sail Boat Design
Adjustable side stabilisers
Length: 960mm =37.7952756 inches
Height: 1550mm
Weight: 3050g
Sail Area: 4100 cm2
Requires 12x AA Batteries (not included)
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 10, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hey Boomer,
Does it have a name or is it just "life at the Extreme?"
Jul 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk
Hey Boomer,
Does it have a name or is it just "life at the Extreme?"
The full name is the title of the thread Hobby Engine 'Life at the Extreme' Volvo Open 70 Class Yacht
Boomer
Jul 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
Useful Idiot
It's a shame the review writer didn't get to sail it in anything stroger than a gentle breeze. It's when the wind picks up a bit that any problems tend to come to light. I can see no purpose to the stabilisers or that bowsprit. I seem to remember having seen it on the Mayhem forum.
Jul 12, 2011, 09:25 PM
Z0Z
Z0Z
Jack of the Dust
I hear you Boomer. I saw that model for sale last year and should have picked one up, much cheaper than the $500.

I'm stoked for this years ocean race. Did you check out Puma's boat? Wow, too bad a company doesn't take on the 70 and market the different paint designs, let alone a rc model that would appeal to a world base of rc skippers.

Cheers,
Gary
Jul 12, 2011, 09:55 PM
Quick Follow up I built this boat last year, I liked the look of it so much I bought a second one (more on that later). This is a just above entry level RTS model, there are a lot of pieces, but can be finished in a weekend if you're motivated. The keel is not of deep enough draft to make this a real high performance model, and the radio is adequate, but nothing special. basically If you want a model that looks sharp on and off the water it's a pretty good investment, I bought the second one so I could race two against each other, but I don't know how it fairs against similar boats in performance. Oh I bought mine at www.volvooceanracemodelboat.com which has since gone dark, ordered another one from I believe arrow models in the UK I can research a bit if anyone is interested
Jul 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf822
Quick Follow up I built this boat last year, I liked the look of it so much I bought a second one (more on that later). This is a just above entry level RTS model, there are a lot of pieces, but can be finished in a weekend if you're motivated. The keel is not of deep enough draft to make this a real high performance model, and the radio is adequate, but nothing special. basically If you want a model that looks sharp on and off the water it's a pretty good investment, I bought the second one so I could race two against each other, but I don't know how it fairs against similar boats in performance. Oh I bought mine at www.volvooceanracemodelboat.com which has since gone dark, ordered another one from I believe arrow models in the UK I can research a bit if anyone is interested
Great info. This is what I was looking, first hand knowledge. Thank you. I am sure if I opt to get one, I can get it at a fair price, not the issue.

I was wondering how the the stabilizers function. It shouldn't too hard to make a longer keel. I sail my boats all the time, and in a wide range of wind conditions so if I were to get one, I'd have to address that problem.

If the boat was a 1M it would be a better sailor. I have two of the Yamaha RTW boats and have yet to own a boat I like better. As I mentioned, I like scale boats, and planes, so the look this boat has is of interest to me.

I am sure with a few upgrades here and there it could be a better sailor. If you follow the sailboat section here, you have most likely seen a picture or two of my Yamaha's. If you haven't here are a couple pictures for you to compare to the Black boat. Tamiya created this true 1/20th scale yacht that has it all, scale, details and functionality. Sadly, they are no longer produced, and have become extremely rare. When one comes up for sale, it sells for big bucks.

Thanks again for your post! Anything more you can think of - just jump in.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Jul 13, 2011, 12:23 PM
**NOT GUILTY**

Check out this Black Boat...

http://volvooceanrace.com/gallery/vi...e-2011-12/3254
Jul 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Where is the first picture from? I suspect that there may be a little airbrushing (photoshopping) going on.
Jul 13, 2011, 12:55 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Used to do graphics, I too suspected a little photoshop at work there.
That looks too much like a real ocean. It must be a "ghost ship" - I see no crew!

Boomer
Jul 13, 2011, 01:08 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
An RC boat with no moveable ballast will never plane upwind, especially with sails hanging limp like that. Nice looking boat, though. I love the aggressive stance.
Jul 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Also the water is 1:1 scale...not 1:20...
Jul 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash
Also the water is 1:1 scale...not 1:20...
Damned surface tension!
Jul 13, 2011, 09:25 PM

More on the VO 70

Stabilizers probably do some good, but the keel "strut" is plenty wide enough to stop it from sliding sideways (which is what the dagger boards do on the real boats) a deeper racing keel would be the best bet and may be my next project. It doesn't heel quite as bad as that one picture indicate (second to last in the group) I'm attaching photos of after my first build, no sailing photos though as you kind of need to keep your hands on the controls :-)
Jul 13, 2011, 09:50 PM

VO 70 mark II

Not being satisfied with one "stock" boat I ordered a second one this past winter as a winter project, which naturally now has extended into summer I actually race on the "real thing" not a volvo 70, but large offshore boats. So this is a lousy time of year to try and do a build but I am slowly doing it on the weeknights. This one I determined to make into a look alike of il Mostro Puma's 09 boat. Hull modifications were done over the winter and the paint job is progressing...
Cockpit is widened at of the traveler bar from just in front of the steering wheels aft. Deck was extended and the transom is now plumb. "Hard" chines run from the transom on up to mid-ships where the blend into the softer lines of the hull, oh and the endless trials getting the paint job where I want it...

Quick Reply