Sep 23, 2016, 06:43 PM
Should be even better tomorrow. See you in the morning....need to talk to those drone guys!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2016, 12:39 AM
It took me 30 years?!?!!!
Thread OP
Any Saturday flying reports? ��
Oct 09, 2016, 11:06 AM
FPV quad flying report:

Quad flew well; it has 3 flight modes. Angle mode is a stabilized mode if sticks are centered it hovers and won't go over 50% angle. Horizon mode self levels but will allow you to flip at full stick deflection. Acro mode which gives you full control with no self leveling.

Started on angle self leveling mode pretty easy with no issues. (flying line of sight) switched to Horizon mode still easy so I thought I would try a flip. Pulled full up elevator and it started to flip Really, really sloooooow. Pile drove that sucker upside down into the groung hard.

Damage report:
Bent antenna over and main flight control broke loose and broke off video filter cap on main PDB board. I straightened antenna remounted board with screws and a little glue and found out video filter must just be an option because it worked fine.

Back in the air and now it's time for the first FPV attempt

Pull out the chair strap on the glassed and here we go. Up and away, all was good. I flew for about a minute and got to close to the ground so I landed upright in the bushes. I took off the goggles and realized I had no clue where the quad was located. I turned on the Help Find Me Buzzer and couldn't here it so the search began. Found it after about ten minutes of looking. The buzzer was on but to quiet to hear more than about 100 feet away.

Kevin tried the FPV and did pretty well all though he was in the stabilized mode and it made it harder to fly. I was spotting for him so His was easier to find when it went down.

Got about 12 or 13 flights in and had a good time.

Conclusion:
FPV will take some time to master. But by the end of the day I was able to get it back to me most of the time. These things are pretty durable but still break a little. I will have to go through and loc tight all the screws as I alreay lost a few.

Ben....your next.
Oct 09, 2016, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Nice! How do you feel about the frame choice (the ZMR 250 shape) and the power?

So flips mostly for Acro mode only?

And 12-13 flights -- all on the quad, or including your planes?
Oct 09, 2016, 09:48 PM
House of Paine

Quad pics

A few pics of Phil's new quad. FPV flying will take some getting used to, would be nice to have good uncorrected vision (dang age) for sure, but can see good enough I think. Had a hard time judging exact position and slight movements like when trying to hover. A very disconcerting feeling flying at yourself in FPV when you start to hear the quad approaching

There was also a young man (John) who showed up with some FPV stuff. He recently moved here from CO where he was doing FPV racing and had just picked up a Fat Shark. His quad was pretty quick His original googles were DIY and he dialed them into Phil's quad so I could check out the action early on in the day... cool stuff. He also had a tri-copter and some home built foam planes, one of which he was planning to to FPV setup on.
Oct 09, 2016, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
I miss ONE day and miss some good stuff...!
Nov 06, 2016, 12:59 PM

Indoor FPV

First attempt at recording indoor FPV

FPV 11 6 2016 (1 min 55 sec)
Nov 06, 2016, 02:19 PM
That is cool!!!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Nov 06, 2016, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Hey - nice socks.

But seriously - that's way cool!

(And Julie says nice looking house!)
Last edited by btsai; Nov 06, 2016 at 03:52 PM.
Nov 06, 2016, 02:57 PM
House of Paine
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsai
Hey - nice socks. ��

But seriously - that's way cool!

(And Julie says nice looking house!)
I'm guessing he recorded this just after his"Risky Business" dance practice
Jan 29, 2017, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
But how do we know that's Phil's plane and not yours? ha!

Nice photos, as always!
Jan 29, 2017, 04:06 PM
House of Paine
Easy...the sfgs are pristine..... can't be mine:-)
Jan 31, 2017, 12:36 PM
Looks real nice!!

I am out again this weekend, brother is moving this time.

I don't think I am going to get to enjoy this nice flying weather.
Jan 31, 2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the great pictures as usual.

Quick Reply