This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 08, 2011, 09:50 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Careful!

Tipped Stalled my Airfield Bf-109 into the Lake!

First, let me include some pictures of my Airfield Bf-109 using the FMS P-51D Mustang 4-Blade Propeller. Why? Because that is all I had at the time. In hind sight, I should have changed out the motor to the 600Kv instead of leaving the STOCK 540Kv for additional RPMs.

Here are the pctures of my Modifications to this Airfield Me Bf-109 using one P-51D Mustang 4-Blade Spinner, Back-Plate and 4-blade Propellers.

I told those at the RC Club that the GERMANs captured a P-51D Mustang and they were trying out new Propeller choices to study what might happen.

Flight Summary using the P-51D Mustang 4-Blade Prop Flight Summary:

The model was placed at mid field. The conditions were cloudy and overcast with NO Wind at all (Dead Calm). On Throttle Up this model zoomed upwards like a home sick dove. I flew the Airfield Me Bf-109 using the STOCK 4-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLY pack on the first flight using the 4-Blade Propeller assembly. I was able to command the Bf-109 to never seem before SLOW Flight ever using this 4-Blade. The Airspeed was significantly reduced but, throttle UP and it continued to fly. Landing was uneventful and I had to keep some Power as this large 4-Blader (Disk producing even more drag) slowed down the model very quickly.

On the second (2nd) flight, I used the slightly larger 4-Cell, 2600mAH, 25C, Li-POLY pack and it certainly had even more of a punch. I commanded the Bf-109 to just take nice and easy passes around the field at Slow speeds and taking advantage of all this THRUST. Loops, Hammer Heads, and Rolls were effortlessly and without any issue. It was time to land and I called my intentions and came around with main gear down and approached and landed pretty good except the Bf-109 nosed over at the last roll-out run-out. So, decided to take-off again to make it look better for landing and this is where something terribly went wrong!!!!

I thought it had good airspeed for turning into the path for lining up for landing and I almost always go over the man made Lake adjacent to the field (South). At this very point and during the turn the model decided to perform an Tip Stall (Wing down) in a matter of a second. I was low and in shock and the model just dove down like a ROCK and did not have any time to react. I had wished someone was recording this flight because when the Bf-109 hit the water it performed kicking up some pretty impressive SPLASH!

Pictures of the Recovery with the Paddle Boat!

I got a good work-out that morning!

Just look how well this model floats!

Closeup of the Bf-109 Floating in the Lake!

Careful!

to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2011, 08:28 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
The STOCK ESC did not survive the Plunge into that Lake even though I cleaned and cleaned. Two of the Power AMPs shorted and you should have seen the smoke coming out from the cockpit!

In case you are wondering what exactly happened to my models STOCK ESC, check out this picture showing it is not recommended to fly any ESC that gets wet!

If you attempt make sure you buy lots of glue, fortunately I was using it again for ground testing and setup and POOF the magic Smoke came out after the second connection with the Battery!

================================================== ======

About 3 years ago, I had an opportunity to purchase several Jetti ESC's at a very good price and found them in my hobby drawer!

Here are pictures from last night tinkering with the new JETTI OPTO 70-AMP and it seems like I purchased the Programming Card and it was very easy to program!

Quick Reply