Aug 31, 2003, 08:05 PM
Tee Sqaured
Thread OP

Spirit 400, my new pylon racer!

Hello everyone!

I have yet to tell much about this plane, I have had it for about a month now, and it’s not at all new, but new to me.

The plane came from a fellow club member that was getting rid of some old planes, He game me this little speed demon for free.

I had no idea what model it was, he said it was a hobby lobby plane, but I didn't see it on there website, all I know are some specs.

Wingspan: 38 inches
Length: 28.5 inches
Chord: 8.5 inches
Area: about 300 sq inches.
AUW: not sure, probly between 16-18 OZ.
Power: DD six volt speed 400, Gunther prop
Battery: 7 600 AE NiCad’s
Controls: aileron, elevator, rudder, motor.

She fly’s awesome! With a flat bottom wing and 300 sq inches of area, she can slow down pretty slow for landings, but don't get me wrong, she’s very fast with the throttle wide open!

Being full house, I can do allot of aerobatics, endless loops or rolls from level are easy, huge loops can be done from a slight dive. Slow rolls look great, inverted all day long with just a little forward stick. Cuban 8's are very nice and stall turns and wingovers are also great. Outside loops are probly possible, but I have yet to try them, it will do a half outside loop from inverted though.

Speed? This bird HAULS in a dive! I love taking her up 200 feet on a hot charge, rolling inverted, and doing a slow pull out, leveling out 5 feet up. The plane can go as fast as that little Gunther prop turns! I get prop flex in a dive! She’s got to be passing 70+ MP/H.

Slow speed is great! you CANNOT tip stall her, both at higher and low speed, I can be going as fast as I want yank her straight up, and she NEVER drops a wing. Power off low speed, it simply falls forward and starts flying again right away. Power off she will glide forever, as a test, with the power off, I gave her a healthy throw, and I was walking a good 150 feet to pick her up. She can do loops and rolls from level at half power. Landings are very easy as her landing speed is about that of a brisk running speed. And she settles in silky smooth.

Climb performance. With a fresh 7 cell NiCad, she climbs to about 300 feet in less than 15 seconds, it's FAST! Half power she still climbs. I just installed the landing great today, so im not sure what she needs to get airborne, but I would say less than 30 feet.

Aerobatics> this bird is all out for sport/pattern aerobatics, limited only by my flying skills. She can do all the basics, loops rolls stall turns an inverted. she will also do semi knife edge, snap rolls, spins, and I can do about half a rolling circle before I fall out, this is due to my flying skills, this plane is well capable of rolling circles. Cuban 8's look awesome, as do 4 point rolls.

This birds a keeper! She dose it all, slow flight, fast flight, aerobatics. With the throws tamed down, this plane would make a good trainer at half power, provided someone that knows how to fly is standing by. It's very easy and very fun to fly, and she will be flying with me for a long time.

Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2003, 08:06 PM
Tee Sqaured
Thread OP
Aug 31, 2003, 08:07 PM
Tee Sqaured
Thread OP
last one.

Im going on vacation tommorow, if i can, i will get some inflight pics while we are on vacation, since she is comming with me.

Thats all for now!

Quick Reply