Best beginner glider? and best battery for a Radian? - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 03, 2011, 11:31 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
But it's removable the way it comes from the factory! Just substitute a roll of scotch tape for the lame stuff they provide.

You just disconnect the push rod, remove the tape strips and slide it out of the mount. Takes less time to do than type.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2017, 01:34 PM
This is an old thread but is the original Radain still the gold standard for ~2m, 3 ch, 1st gliders? Are there any newer gliders out there that can offer comparable ease of flight and ability to thermal? Thanks for you thoughts.
May 03, 2017, 02:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkennedy75
This is an old thread but is the original Radain still the gold standard for ~2m, 3 ch, 1st gliders? Are there any newer gliders out there that can offer comparable ease of flight and ability to thermal? Thanks for you thoughts.
You could probably get better thermal ability with a MUCH lighter wing loading one like this :

http://www.espritmodel.com/pulsar-2e...plane-arf.aspx

if money is no object ......
May 04, 2017, 02:05 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkennedy75
It's still the gold standard for cheap/foam ones. Nothing else can be had out of the box with the same performance.

That said, if you're willing to build, there's several designs that are superior in performance, even for a 1st timer. The Chrysalis from DJ Aerotech, and most of the F3-RES designs with electric versions (I'd recommend the RESolution V2 Elektro). Most of these build up as a 4ch bird (RES+T) but you can always just tape down the spoilers and leave the servos disconnected (I do recommend installing the servos and spoilers though, will save on headaches later)
May 04, 2017, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
...Most of these build up as a 4ch bird (RES+T) but you can always just tape down the spoilers and leave the servos disconnected (I do recommend installing the servos and spoilers though, will save on headaches later)
I would definitely keep the spoilers fully functional on the 2-meter Chrysalis unless you have an absolutely enormous landing area. Without the spoilers it does not like to come down!
May 17, 2017, 04:12 AM

avoid full power...most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercerMaggot
I taught someone once who turned out at our field with a Radian. he had never flown before (although had plenty of simulator practice) and I had never flown the Radian before and was a bit nervous about the hand launch.

It was so easy. I got him to gently launch it and there was no dramas. Once high enough, I gave him the controls and told him what to do. I took over when it got close to the ground. It probably only took half a dozen flights until he could keep the wings level, point it into the wind and gently land.

He had initial trouble controlling it in a steep ascent under full power when it is squirrelly, but eventually picked it up. Watch out for this - full power near the ground will be problematic for a beginner.
I love a Radian. With the incidence mod, or the newer version that has it, they thermal exceptionally. BUT they do get PITCHY at full throttle.