Best beginner glider? and best battery for a Radian? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 13, 2011, 12:27 AM
Well I think the original Radian will be a good first glider for my girlfriend. It'll straighten itself from a banked turn more so than a Radian Pro. That could be her second glider.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2011, 12:50 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Well I think the original Radian will be a good first glider for my girlfriend. It'll straighten itself from a banked turn more so than a Radian Pro. That could be her second glider.

Bob
The Radian 1 is an excellent airplane. CMs comment is disingenuous.
Jul 13, 2011, 03:26 AM
Gimme some slope
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777
The Radian 1 is an excellent airplane. CMs comment is disingenuous.
disingenous? That''s a little arrogant.

I've had a Gentle Lady with my own motor mod..
It became BOOOOOORRRRRRINGG very quickly...

So, NO it's not disingenuous.. its informed opinion based on personal experience.

Mr Radian Owner is obviously a little touchy about it.
Jul 13, 2011, 04:25 AM
Just hijacking this thread for a quick question about Radians: I have the chance of getting a Futaba 2.4 6EX - will I be able to bind this to the Radian, or do I need a particular make? Also, is the radio "out of date" now? ( I wondered why it was so cheap).
BTW, I like gentle flyers, myself.
Jul 13, 2011, 04:29 AM
no it wont and dont the 6EX is lacking in a lot stuff that it should have and programing it is a pain
if it was any other Futaba then sure but the 6EX is just junk the DX6i is a far better radio then 6EX

what do you have now? imo higher end Futaba or JR if you want to stick with gliders
Jul 13, 2011, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the reply,elios.I have an old futaba challenger 35meg, it is perfect, but I thought if I was going to get more into the hobby, it would be better to get a compatible system.many years ago I flew ic, just getting back into the hobby now I have jacked in full-time work, and have discovered electrics have sort of taken over the hobby.
Jul 13, 2011, 05:02 AM
I started off with a Phoenix II from Hobby People. RTF on sale.
A few awesome pilots taught me my first time at Apollo Field in Van Nuys.
It looks cool in the air. Easy to see because of the large wing span.

Also, I stuck to the stock RTF radio that came in the box with my glider for awhile.

After about a month of flying, I upgraded the remote to an Airtronics RDS8000. I now have new planes.

The main pilot who taught me was great. Everyone tells you to upgrade the radio at first, but I'm glad I held off until I understood the basics with the stock remote. But he taught me on my stock radio.

There will be more impatient pilots though who will only teach you if you have a buddy-box ready radio. I suggest getting a radio that is predominant to your local field.
Last edited by Snaarfoo; Jul 13, 2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: added more info
Jul 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
Suspended Account
I've flown the Radian Pro. To be honest, it doesn't quite glide as nice as the regular Radian. This is just my opinion, however.
Jul 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000
not a great idea stick with the 3 channel one
to much going and hard to setup unless you have good radio
Spektrum DX6i
Jul 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner2k
Spektrum DX6i
DX6i cant do every thing that you need for the pro it doesnt have the mixes needed
at min you need the DX7 better DX8 or 9503
Jul 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
I have no idea how well it works, but Horizon Hobby has this on their website:

Radian Pro DX6i Setup

From the instructions:
"With the DX6i you can use flaps and CROW on the Radian Pro. This setup allows you to use basic flaps or engage CROW with the DX6i. There are not enough mixes available on the DX6i to allow for camber and reflex settings in addition to flaps and CROW; however, these are not required to enjoy the Radian Pro."
Jul 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
camber is reflex are the big things that really make the pro that much better i wouldnt bother with it with out using them
Jul 18, 2011, 05:58 AM
I have used anything from 3 cell 1300's to the 2200's from Valuehobby.com and have landed more because my neck has been hurting before the plane runs out of battery power Ultimately the only time the the motor is ran is to get the height, and you can do that at under half throttle if you really want to :P I prefer the full throttle almost straight up and doing a loop at the end, just my preference since I do some acrobatic planes too Also it helps give that little push off of speed from the downline of the loop... keeps from stalling right away. The only thing you have to do with the different batteries is trim the elevator a couple clicks depending which you choose. Side note, make sure you have a piece of velcro on the bottom with a velcro strap around it while doing something stupid like that loop Your plane may just float away and trash a battery... Don't ask me how I know this

Greg
Aug 10, 2011, 01:43 AM

Awesome video

Noflyzone,

Is your Radian stock except for the prop?
Aug 10, 2011, 02:19 AM
That was a silly but incredible vid of the radian. Man, at the field I have seen them just fly endlessly, they truly are in their own class!

Like the other guys, after seeing the radian, I recommend it over Easystar due to it's easier launch (it does better than EZ towards the wind) and it has the brushless out of the box advantage. No one wants to make their gf sit down while they DIY a brushless motor onto the Easystar.

I'm not sure if you should get the RTF. Maybe see if you can get it ARF.

radio wise.. man, wanna know my opinion? go with a "dead box" 72mhz without crystal that is compatible with your TX and buddy box if you can! That'd surely be the most romantic thing

But honestly, the Easystar isn't bad either. I learned with one. Very happy with it.

Maybe the blizzard would be more comparable to the Radian.