Best beginner glider? and best battery for a Radian? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jul 07, 2011, 10:19 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777
Great advice. I've always hated the elevator pushrod setup. The weather here has improved dramatically over the past couple weeks, and I pulled the Radian out for the first time in a year. I found 2 great thermals the hawks were flying around and only took 30% out of a 1300 3S after 25 minutes.

Could you put washers between the motor and firewall to reduce the gap with the stock prop & spinner?

Dave
Hi Dave,

I don't think so, actually. I could be wrong though, but if I recall, the gap was caused by the fit of the spinner to shaft itself; so moving the motor wouldn't really affect the gap.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2011, 11:59 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Dave,

I don't think so, actually. I could be wrong though, but if I recall, the gap was caused by the fit of the spinner to shaft itself; so moving the motor wouldn't really affect the gap.
I actually did some plane work tonight. I took off the Radian motor for the first time. Good thing, the c-clip was just acting as a washer. Not sure if it was ever installed.

Moving the motor back was a snap. Thanks for the ideas.

You can fly this thing in the rain if you tape off the cowl inlet and the bottom door. I've logged about 4 hours in the rain.

Dave
Jul 08, 2011, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure how to do multiple quotes on one reply so I'll do the following.

I have a FS ONE flt sim.

That video showed great pwr if that's stock.

I was thinking 100" would be even better that a 2m. But what glider then? The Cularis?

Indeed, taking the motor out and putting washers in between the motor and the firewall moves the motor back, thus also the shaft, thus the spinner too.

ps....personally me, I'd like to scratch build a Le fish! Well, the build would be a pain in the a**, but I LOVE the way it flys!!!!

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Jul 08, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Jul 08, 2011, 02:53 AM
Cularis is a handfull in itself as it's a "full house" glider. I can say that the Radian, not Pro, is an awesome trainer that you can't go wrong with. You can fly power off and it will soar with the best of them, once ya get it trimmed out. As other people have said, when you throttle up with the Radian, be ready to add some down elevator to keep it from wanting to go straight up. It has a great climb rate to get up to where you wanna be, and cut the motor and glide around powerless til ya come down and start all over again. The dihedral on the wings actually keeps this bird from getting out of control like the Cularis would. A little rudder on the radian and she'll go into a nice bank, let go and it should level right back out as long as the trims are set. I've actualy looked away from this plane before with the power off, let go of the controls while i looked for it and it was just floatin Thankfully we found it again and it survived to see another day.
Jul 08, 2011, 09:51 AM
Note taken about the Cularis. It's (pretty much) a straight wing w/ ailerons vs (more of) a polyhedral w/ rudder. I just wish it was 100(+)".

The the annoying pull up tendency w/ pwr on can be remedied w/ some down elevator mixing or putting one extra washer on each of the lower motor mount bolts, again, in between the motor and firewall.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Jul 08, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Jul 08, 2011, 12:16 PM
Bob,

If you want to keep the plane floaty, don't worry about adding the weight it's the same as adding ballast, will make the plane heavier and faster. If you just want to move the motor back, a washer or 2... cool, but don't' go overboard adding to much weight as it will bring it off balance. The less weight the better. I've flown this plane in plenty of wind and have no problem getting it back stock... the less the weight the more thermal activity you will see and be able to hold into.

For the eleveator, if you have that mix, go for it, but it's not extreme enough that it's necessary. This is the easiest plane I've ever flown, EVER. I had a Super Cub LP starting off, flew it, crashed, fixed. Rinse Wash and Repeat a few times and finally I got it. Crashes came to and end for a while. Got this plane and I ran it into a tree once, scuffed the wing, but was still flyable without having to glue, tape... anything

Whatever plane you decide, good luck teaching your wife.

Greg
Jul 12, 2011, 12:46 PM
Found a well used, regular old Radian for her. It's on it's way. Now what size batteries should I get? I saw it takes 1300mah, but some people use up to 1800mah. Note taken above about keeping it light, but I wanted her to have a decent run time as well w/o having to have more than two batteries for it. I was thinking to just wait until I get it and measure the battery compartment and go from there, but I thought I'd ask what capacity and brand people use to give me an idea what to look for.

Thanks,

Bob
Jul 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Found a well used, regular old Radian for her. It's on it's way. Now what size batteries should I get? I saw it takes 1300mah, but some people use up to 1800mah. Note taken above about keeping it light, but I wanted her to have a decent run time as well w/o having to have more than two batteries for it. I was thinking to just wait until I get it and measure the battery compartment and go from there, but I thought I'd ask what capacity and brand people use to give me an idea what to look for.

Thanks,

Bob
I usually fly a 1250, but I have used 1800's before. It makes the nose a little heavier, but the forward stability is not necessarily a bad thing for someone just learning. In windy conditions, the extra weight forward is very welcome.

E-flite 11.1V 1250mAh 20C
E-flite 11.1V 1800mAh 20C
ParkZone 11.1V 1800mAh 15C
Jul 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
2m sailplanes are great trainers i learned on a Gentle Lady years ago
Jul 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
I use a 3s 1000 pack in my radian pushed back as far as it will go. That gets the cg to where on my plane I get the best glide performance.
Jul 12, 2011, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
I'm not sure how to do multiple quotes
The little + sign on the bottom right of each post. Click as many as you want they will show up when you click the New Reply button.
Good luck to your girl. Did she try her Cub or have you just tested and didnt like the climb?
Jul 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
Gimme some slope
EDIT:
Read the whole Damn thread before commenting.
Jul 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
How about getting a Radian PRO instead for a beginner?
Jul 12, 2011, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner2k
How about getting a Radian PRO instead for a beginner?
not a great idea stick with the 3 channel one
to much going and hard to setup unless you have good radio
Jul 12, 2011, 11:03 PM
Gimme some slope
I'd be getting pretty bored with the Radian by now... glad I got the PRO.
but, he's already bought a Radian so cest la vie.