Jul 06, 2011, 04:03 AM
Poll

Best beginner glider? and best battery for a Radian?

This is not for myself, it would be to teach someone I know. You can list a powered or non powered glider.

Thanks,

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Jul 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2011, 10:31 AM
KK4NOP
Bob,

Do you want a "full house" glider or something that could be considered one?

Easy Star or Easy Glider are the best starter's in my opinion.
Jul 06, 2011, 12:51 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
Parkzone Radian RTF. $250 for everything you need to fly is a great value, considering the brushless motor, lipo battery, Spektrum radio, and the highly acclaimed Radian. Assemble in minutes, charge the battery, and fly. Very gentle, very slow, very easy. I might not have suggested the Radian to someone learning on his own (because of the powerful motor and LONG glide path), but with your help, your friend will have no problems. If you have a DSM2 radio, you can buddy-box the included DX5e.
Jul 06, 2011, 02:12 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Easy Star RTF.
Latest blog entry: A servo mounting tech-tip
Jul 06, 2011, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Xpress..;18688953]Easy Star RTF.[/QUOT

I have a easy star that need re doing, ie, fuse is crunched, got a new one to transfer gear into and the upgraded motor sys from hobbyking, just thought something bigger and easier to see would be better. This beginner glider would actually be for my gf. I also have a DAW 1-26 59" w/s epp 'hlg' nib but samething....I think a little small for a first plane. And thought maybe there is one out there I'm missing.

thanks,

Bob
Jul 06, 2011, 04:00 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Radian will outfly the Easy Star any day of the week. If you want to have her bitten by the thermal bug, there is no airframe in the same continent as the Radian in 2 meter RTF airplanes.

Evidence: in the recent Polecat/Soaring Circuits 2K11 ALES Open Soar, populated by high dollar e-Supras, Pulsars, Gracias, Thermic XXL's, Topazes, and various other 3m+ ships, 10 Radians also dared show up. They stole three of the top 10 spots overall. On the last day they took first and fifth places for the day. No other foam plane can claim the Radian's soaring excellence. They truly can play with the big boys.
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jul 06, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Jul 06, 2011, 04:30 PM
I taught someone once who turned out at our field with a Radian. he had never flown before (although had plenty of simulator practice) and I had never flown the Radian before and was a bit nervous about the hand launch.

It was so easy. I got him to gently launch it and there was no dramas. Once high enough, I gave him the controls and told him what to do. I took over when it got closeto the ground. It probably only took half a dozen flights until he could keep the wings level, point it into the wind and gently land.

He had initial trouble controlling it in a steep ascent under full power when it is squirelly, but eventually picked it up. Watch out for this - full power near the gound will be problematic for a beginner.
Jul 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Radian will outfly the Easy Star any day of the week. If you want to have her bitten by the thermal bug, there is no airframe in the same continent as the Radian in 2 meter RTF airplanes.

Evidence: in the recent Polecat/Soaring Circuits 2K11 ALES Open Soar, populated by high dollar e-Supras, Pulsars, Gracias, Thermic XXL's, Topazes, and various other 3m+ ships, 10 Radians also dared show up. They stole three of the top 10 spots overall. On the last day they took first and fifth places for the day. No other foam plane can claim the Radian's soaring excellence. They truly can play with the big boys.
So you guys are talking about the e-version of the original Radian, the one w/ the curved wings and is R/E, right?

Also she has a HP super cub Lp w/ an upgraded motor sys. That thing climbs strong at about a 70 degree angle, still a bit too much for her first plane I think. The DAW 1-26, even tho it's the aileron version, I'm sure could be made into the R/E, polyhedral version. I think that would be fine for a second plane, same w/ the cub.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Jul 06, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Jul 06, 2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
So you guys are talking about the e-version of the original Radian, the one w/ the curved wings and is R/E, right?

Also she has a HP super cub Lp w/ an upgraded motor sys. That thing climbs strong at about a 70 degree angle, still a bit too much for her first plane I think. The DAW 1-26, even tho it's the aileron version, I'm sure could be made into the R/E, polyhedral version. I think that would be fine for a second plane, same w/ the cub.

Bob
The original (first) version of the Radian would be a reasonable choice. You can get 4 or 5 good high climb outs on a battery charge with the stock set up. In the hands of a beginner the Radian can get into porpoising that will cause a newer pilot to crash. Have witnessed this more than a couple times with two different pilots and planes. The remedy for this problem is to adjust the balance point a bit forward and to move the elevator control rod one hole closer to the servo from the way it comes. This is my third summer with my Radian and I still enjoy it. If you want to spend about $35 you can change the prop to an Aeronaut and add the appropriate spinner and adapter. This will give pretty much vetical climb if you want. If you do this change be ready to feed in just a touch of down elevator during climb out or it will want to come over backwards on you.
Jul 06, 2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Dawg
The original (first) version of the Radian would be a reasonable choice. You can get 4 or 5 good high climb outs on a battery charge with the stock set up. In the hands of a beginner the Radian can get into porpoising that will cause a newer pilot to crash. Have witnessed this more than a couple times with two different pilots and planes. The remedy for this problem is to adjust the balance point a bit forward and to move the elevator control rod one hole closer to the servo from the way it comes. This is my third summer with my Radian and I still enjoy it. If you want to spend about $35 you can change the prop to an Aeronaut and add the appropriate spinner and adapter. This will give pretty much vetical climb if you want. If you do this change be ready to feed in just a touch of down elevator during climb out or it will want to come over backwards on you.
If I got one and wanted to do that....what prop size would you suggest?
Jul 07, 2011, 02:02 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Dynam Hawsky is an Easystar clone and comes Ready to fly
Hawksky

If you put your own Rx into it with a TX on a buddy box system, you can get someone else to train you.

The Radian Pro is very good and stable in the wind but not as fast (you really don't need fast to learn).
Also work on getting a simulator. The most common problem is disorientation when the plane is comming towards you.
This is a list of heli simulators but most of them do planes.
http://www.mycoolheli.com/RCHeliSimulator.html
There are lots of choices on simulators.
Jul 07, 2011, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
The finest glider I have is the ParkZone Radian. Truly a unique experience. I use an AeroNaut 10x6 prop on mine, and it flies beautifully.

I'm also a stickler for reducing any and all linkage binding in my planes, and will go to great lengths to make them almost frictionless.

Here's my Radian...
Jul 07, 2011, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
And how does the bone stock ParkZone Radian fly with 3 channels? You be the judge....

Parkzone Radian Hover and Slow-flight (3 min 19 sec)
Jul 07, 2011, 08:58 PM
Suspended Account
Radian compared to a MultiPlex Easy Star (another fine plane)....
Jul 07, 2011, 10:16 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
The finest glider I have is the ParkZone Radian. Truly a unique experience. I use an AeroNaut 10x6 prop on mine, and it flies beautifully.

I'm also a stickler for reducing any and all linkage binding in my planes, and will go to great lengths to make them almost frictionless.

Here's my Radian...
Great advice. I've always hated the elevator pushrod setup. The weather here has improved dramatically over the past couple weeks, and I pulled the Radian out for the first time in a year. I found 2 great thermals the hawks were flying around and only took 30% out of a 1300 3S after 25 minutes.

Could you put washers between the motor and firewall to reduce the gap with the stock prop & spinner?

Dave