Profile Harrier - Plans and CNC Cut Kits Available! - - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 05, 2011, 09:54 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

Profile Harrier - Plans and CNC Cut Kits Available! -

Someone was working on a Harrier design a few months back and it looked awesome.

Not sure if he ever got it to fly properly but it inspired me to toss my own design together.

I like the idea of the ducted fan/prop in a slot look and i wanted it to be as scale as possible.

First flight was a little wierd while i was getting CG right and all the trims and mixes worked out and i ended up nosing it in and snapping the front end off. It actually flew better without it so i decided that it had a little bit too much vertical ahead of the CG so i cut off the vertical stab and put on a 25% larger one. That did the trick and it flies great!!

Not a 3d plane for sure. It loops nicely though.

I ended up going with seperate servos for each aileron and each elevator because of routing and stuff. I want to mix in some flaps at the ailerons and maybe mix the ailerons into the elevators.. or maybe add outboard ailerons to the wings.

Flies nicely though.

Plans will be posted soon. I just need to add some stuff to it.

Took it out to the field today and remembered as i was packing up to shoot a quick video. Took the video with my new Droid 2 Global! Does a nice job eh?

Enjoy!

RC Profile Harrier.wmv (1 min 53 sec)

Kits are available on my website! www.sg-ideas.com

Plans are now up.

Some details. No larger than a 8" Prop. I used a Towerpro 2408-21 with an 8x6 prop. It is a little slow but plenty of power. A little more would be kinda nice though. Maybe a higher KV motor would do it but watch your amps!

CG is right on the front of the center of the prop slot or forward a little.

I used a 9g servo for each control surface and mixed everything together. Ailerons, Flaps, Elevator, Tailerons etc. It took a while to get my mixes worked out because i am a total noob with my Dx7.

I may just produce a kit for this too. Not totally sure yet.

#1 rule. If you build it you must post pics and videos here!

Updated the plans a little bit... added servo slots and CF tube pockets for reinforcement.... and added a few parts i missed....
Last edited by SGTalon; Aug 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2011, 10:30 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
plans plans we need plans oh mighty sgtalon and as a founding member of the FFAA I would like to say your addiction to foam is good and your well spring of plans for planes has kept us of the FFAA happy ( please join the thread ) we are all infected with the foamicus additcticus and need some guideance from a great one like your self hehe
Jul 06, 2011, 06:01 AM
New in the game
Ohw... this is something i would love to build myself...

(subscribed...!!!)
Last edited by Remko; Jul 13, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Jul 06, 2011, 06:26 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Good Job! Got to witness this in person.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Jul 06, 2011, 07:45 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
damm that is sweet!!!
Jul 06, 2011, 08:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
AARGH !!!! Yet Another Must Build ....
Jul 06, 2011, 09:11 AM
Glen you say that every time i put out a new design! You still haven't built an Enterprise!

But that is ok. I appreciate your appreciation of my designs

Flies nice too! Rudder is a must though. It doesn't really turn when you roll it.
Jul 06, 2011, 09:29 AM
gpw
gpw
SGT , It's like ART , you don't have to be a painter to appreciate it ... Sorry about not building everything .... hard enough keeping up with my own stuff ... But I WANT too !!!!! Not many planes I see that I want to build ... Yours are the exception , along with a very few other talented folks ... Good Stuff, not the same old same old ... !!!!
Jul 06, 2011, 10:03 AM
Honestly that is how i decide what to build. If everyone is making one i am not interested. There can only be so many 3D planes, WW2 planes, and Pusher Jets... While i love those planes, they just don't make me think that i have to have one.

An Enterprise or Viper? One of the harder WW2 planes like the P-38 that i have ready to maiden, or the Harrier? Those are the ones that are rare enough that not everyone has one already. When you take it to the field people are like "whoa! what is that!?!"

I love the look of the GWS EDF's and stuff, but EVERYONE has them.

Take your time I can wait for you to build one. But if you need an Enterprise Kit let me know
Jul 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
make me some plans for a profile P-38 and i'm down!
Jul 06, 2011, 12:04 PM
Uh.... That was months ago Dan!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1303764
Jul 06, 2011, 01:37 PM
gpw
gpw
How about years ago ... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=p+38+gpw
Jul 06, 2011, 02:00 PM
Seeing that thread is why i decided to design my own =)

A lot of progress has been made in the last half decade since your original design so i thought i could add something to it.

I actually percolated that plan for a couple years before i finally did it. But how many P-38 designs have there been on RCG? Not that many for sure.

BTW did you guys notice that www.Parkjets.com has started adding my designs?
Jul 06, 2011, 02:07 PM
igo
igo

hail to the harriers!!!

i've been waiting for your design to get posted. very nice!! i built a cartoon fattie version. here's the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...harrier&page=2

there's video it flying in there.
Jul 08, 2011, 07:54 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
SGTalon,
Nice job, looks like a great flyer.

Jim