Jul 03, 2011, 06:08 PM
Discussion

The Ivan Auster J5

Well I decided to build this model.I Figured it would take a few months. Almost there after 3 months. I Started cutting balsa on April 9 so getting close.This is my second Ivan Model so I know I`ll be getting a good flier and fair representation of the actual model. Yes I did build this on the kitchen table,........ on a 7`x 2` 3/4 ply and 1 inch foam board in which I could quickly remove all traces before dinner was served.

Rather than go on about what has been said before about this build I decided to mention a few observations along the way. I did make a few revisions for my own satisfaction. Some may secretly (out of respect for Ivan`s plans) agree that Ivan`s designs and building plans have a rather simplistic approach. They have that "old School" pencil and paper look. I admire the light weight design of Ivan`s models. I actually enjoy building from them since I feel more free to deviate from the intended path without straying to far off the mark. Besides, you will end up with a "classic" model in my opinion.

I finally sorted out the rib cutting and lay-up after scratching my head a bit.

The fuselage is all sticks. I did change the nose taper somewhat since I found it a little to Square. ( Hope Ivan don`t mind). I also avoided the "airfoil" tail feathers and chose the scale version of flat plate. I enlarged the framing balsa a bit and added a few gussets to stiffen them up. I`ve never had a problem with tail warpage on this size of model.
I also built up the gear a little differently than the plan. It has bushings with a center leaf (bent wire) for the suspension.

Some of the Nose area is sheeted, but it`s sheeted between the framing as apposed to covering the sticks. The sheeting is then covered with varathane and 1/2oz cloth. Tremclad Satin white was spray bombed on the sealed fuselage. The covering on the remainder is 21st Century Fabric. Beautiful to paint and expensive compared to ultracote. Covers and irons on beautifully as well. The glazing for windows is 2mm acrylic secured with canopy glue and small pre-drilled brass pins. Very light and strong structure as a result. Brushed out some of the interior framing in red. The external paint work is airbrushed Tamiya thinned with windex over tamiya tape mask (no seeping paint under the tape).
Last edited by Warren Jones; Oct 10, 2017 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2011, 06:48 PM

The Tail

A crude mask and the name is applied. Just lay down tape then scribe through your drawing with #11 blade. Pull up tape, apply to model, rub down, airbrush and there you have it,.....Auster.

Nice when she takes shape.

Auster,.........the british "Storch".
Jul 04, 2011, 04:32 AM
Very nice indeed Warren
Paul W.
Jul 04, 2011, 12:48 PM

Thank You

To paulbw,

Thank You. It`s been awhile since I last built.
Apparently the Auster is Ivan`s favourite. Looking forward to the maiden.
Jul 04, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi Warren! Nice to see you back on an Ivan build, I still remember your Catalina, it was a real work of art. And this one is no less beautiful, I love models with paint, they look so much more real. Especially the nice flat black against the shinier parts.

I agree with you completely, the minimalist plans are actually liberating when you realize how much leeway you are given as a builder. The essence is enough to ensure you a wonderful result, but the details are up to your creativity and preference. In the end, each model becomes a unique creation with the indelible mark of both the designer and the builder shown in its features.

I've added a link to this over in the Ivan sticky, and I'll be looking forward to your maiden! Looks as if you are quite close.

Luke
Jul 04, 2011, 05:49 PM

Hi Luke

To LukeZ

Thanks for the nice comments. Appreciate your support. Yeah, I do like to build the Ivan designs. Would like to build another flying boat but can`t make up my mind.

Warren
Jul 05, 2011, 06:23 PM

More Pics

They say a pic is a "thousand words". So here is more.
Jul 06, 2011, 10:04 AM
I eat glue
Very, very nice. I gotta build me one of these here birds soon. Gotta order the plans first though.
Jul 06, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hey what happened, you're already done!
Jul 06, 2011, 02:46 PM

Final details

I have a list of things to do now. All the easily overlooked details while one admires the progress.

Still need minor stuff like this
Jul 06, 2011, 05:54 PM
Warren, welcome back! And a good subject as well.

And, of course, superb building. Good luck on the first flights.

charlie

PS your Guillows Spitfire build is still a classic in my book
Jul 06, 2011, 07:35 PM

Guillows builds

To portablevcb,

Oh yeah the Guillows. Always had a soft spot for the smaller models.
Here is one from Dumas.

It has the AR6400 board with the Micro P-51 motor. Needs a little more dihedral in the wings for stability though. AUW is 49 grams. 17 inch wing walnut Scale.
Next time I build @ 20-22 inch wing with ailerons.
Jul 06, 2011, 08:13 PM
Very nice! I have a little P51 that will be donating it's guts to something different. Just have not found the proper subject yet. Considering the little WACO SRE that we sell, but that would need a different motor.

Looks like my next large build will be Ivan's Chipmunk. Getting the plans now to have a look.

charlie
Jul 06, 2011, 08:25 PM

Chipmunk

Yeah I`m trying to decide on the next Ivan build as well. Maybe another twin perhaps.
The Chipmunk is a nice model. Love the wing size of Ivans designs.
Jul 06, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yep, I was kinda torn between the Mossie and the Chipmunk. The simple one got the most votes

Quick Reply