Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 03, 2011, 12:15 PM
Chad
Build Log

Shark Bait inspired FatBach(for lack of a better name) PDF Plans added Pics Added

well I dont have the time to start another build right away but I was tinkering around lastnight with my sbach plans I designed awhile back and I decided the sbach will make a nice new version of the sharkbait.

I did a quick sketch up of some plans if anyone want to try to build it before me. but I will prob start a build in the next few weeks.here are the plans I fixed the scale on them so all should work fine now if you wish to try this build.
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added new pdf file
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2011, 02:52 AM
Looks pretty cool. I love my sharkbait and if this flies anything like it you'll have a winner.

Gary
Jul 06, 2011, 12:54 PM
Chad
I fixed the plans so they should match up with each other better than before.
Jul 06, 2011, 07:20 PM
-Daniel
What are the specs on this plane? Wingspan, motor?
Jul 06, 2011, 07:53 PM
Chad
it is just under 20"ws and will prob work well with a 10gram to 25gram motor with a 5"-7" prop. something around 5 grams for the servos should be good and keep it around 4 oz's but with the wing surface you should be fine with a 6oz plane. foam either 3mm for a light build with some carbon rods for spars or 6mm foam for a little stiffer build or even foam board without the paper and bamboo skewrs for spars it should all work with this plane.
I have not built it yet. I just made the plans and put them to the side while I work on a rubberband power plane conversion to brushless that I just started.

I do have a 5.4gram AP05 motor just sitting here maybe I will try a 14"ws first but the 20"ws is more around the size most people will have extra gear for. it should be a simple build using a setup that will work for something 4-6oz's
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 06, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Jul 12, 2011, 10:38 PM
Chad
Ok I couldnt hold off any longer and the only gear I had sitting around was my micro sukhoi guts so I made the wingspan at aprox 14" and cut out the plans. while I was cutting I decided to cut 2 side view sections and make it a box fuse toon thingy. I hope it will fly, the fat nose may cause problems. But I will see soon, hopefully tomorrow
here are some pics of what it looks like and if it flies anything like the glide tests this will be a must have for all sharkbait fans.
less than 30grams as it sits with no battery or servo links
Jul 13, 2011, 06:01 PM
My plans are in my blog
Your fattie is looking cool enough. I hope it flies well.
Jul 13, 2011, 09:09 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Hi Donald
I thought this was going to be another profile, but it's a fatty... yaaaee.

I think I would make the nose a little less of a wind catcher.

Lookin good T1... I'm watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
Your fattie is looking cool enough. I hope it flies well.
Last edited by larryross; Jul 14, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
Jul 13, 2011, 09:18 PM
Chad
yeah I am thinking the same thing about the nose but I almost have this one complete so I will prob just cut it up and add mods till it looks and flies right. my fingers are still crossed.
Jul 14, 2011, 02:17 AM
Registered FFF Addict
I am curious as to how that Vstab and rudder work out. Almost no Vstab and very large rudder. Watching with interest.
Jul 17, 2011, 08:35 PM
Chad
well it does fly but it is under powered for the dying 4-site motor I have so I am thinking of making a 18" ws with a 5.4g ap05 motor now that I know it will fly.
I am not done messing with the micro. I am thinking all I need to do is move some weight to get the cg more forward then try again. Ill keep you posted and see if I cant get some video.
Jul 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Have you streamlined the nose yet? Might help the power situation a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
well it does fly but it is under powered for the dying 4-site motor I have so I am thinking of making a 18" ws with a 5.4g ap05 motor now that I know it will fly.
I am not done messing with the micro. I am thinking all I need to do is move some weight to get the cg more forward then try again. Ill keep you posted and see if I cant get some video.
Jul 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
this looks like a great sized little plane. im keen to try this one cos its exactly the sort of size i want for my back yard. will be my first attempt at building. cant wait to see it fly!
Jul 25, 2011, 01:18 AM
Chad
I have upsized to 80% the original plans and it flies very nice it will roll like a drill and loop on a dime. i am using a undersized motor and it still flies great but with a 6" prop it gets hot so I will need to change the motor and see how it runs but I think if you do the size of the plans the way it is with the recomended gear 10-20gram motor with 5gram servos it should fly like a dream.

I will get new pics and updated plans up this week hopefully.

I just saw the gear you posted that you have in the sharkbait thread and I think if you are going 1s you should go with 3mm depron and 14"ws. make it light as possible I would just do it as a profile plane also to save a lot of weight thatsetup wont handle.
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 25, 2011 at 01:23 AM.
Jul 25, 2011, 01:54 AM
hi mate thanks for yr reply.
just noticed u did a 13inch version of the sharkbait. would that suit my gear that i posted better? im really just looking for a slow little back yard plane. am i on the right track with this sort of model? its my first go at building. do u have plans for the 13inch u made?