Aug 18, 2011, 06:34 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!

Unofficial OV-10 with 3D booms

Inspired by rajazo's OV-10 I took the liberty of creating some 3D booms. I made some corrections on this design as I assemble the plane to make it fit better. One of the things to be done is to make the booms a bit thinner, there is still a large gap between the BW motors I intend to use and the boom side panels.

Progress pic of this design is on post #43, well post an updated pic later on....

The design is still far from being complete, any inputs or corrections would be appreciated.

Here are the unofficial plans in PDF format
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc338
Here are the updated pics, still waiting for some electronics so that I could maiden this baby....
nice build! and thanks for the 3d booms plans...
which motor/prop you plan to use?
One tip from my twin C119, the motors will produce a climb effect when you push the throttle (in accelerations condition not at constant speed) because is not aligned with the wing.. is a little wierd. TO correct this you will need to point the engines down (just a little).. one washer in each upper bolt fixation was sufficient in my plane.
Aug 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
No problem rajazo...collaborating and sharing info makes this hobby of ours more interesting.

I plan to use a pair of BW 1300kv with 8 inch counter rotating props running on 3s coz I already have those parts from my decommissioned foamies.

Yes, I saw your C119 vids and you're becoming my idol....

A little downthrust I think would help, we'll try that once I got this thing maidened and if it works we'll modify the plans to integrate it.
Aug 18, 2011, 02:09 PM
Cool! Looks like it would make a good UAV platform also.
Aug 18, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
No problem rajazo...collaborating and sharing info makes this hobby of ours more interesting.

I plan to use a pair of BW 1300kv with 8 inch counter rotating props running on 3s coz I already have those parts from my decommissioned foamies.

Yes, I saw your C119 vids and you're becoming my idol....

A little downthrust I think would help, we'll try that once I got this thing maidened and if it works we'll modify the plans to integrate it.
too many compliments, I am a beginner in all aspects (1 1 / 2 year flying and crashing) ...
what happens is that as a beginner in the hobby and lack of time, I can not afford to build planes more complex to build. I do not like the idea of ​​flying a plane too ugly and, well, everyone has their favorite one too
Well, necessity is the mother of all
Aug 18, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdb
Cool! Looks like it would make a good UAV platform also.
recently I discover than one guy in poland, Marek Rokowski, designed a plane like this too but for FPV purposes, code name URSUS... I think it has some BRONCO inspiration too but professional development (there are kits available)
here the threadt in RCgroups:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1325273
and his page:
http://www.napolskimniebie.pl/
Aug 18, 2011, 06:57 PM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
nice build! and thanks for the 3d booms plans...
which motor/prop you plan to use?
One tip from my twin C119, the motors will produce a climb effect when you push the throttle (in accelerations condition not at constant speed) because is not aligned with the wing.. is a little wierd. TO correct this you will need to point the engines down (just a little).. one washer in each upper bolt fixation was sufficient in my plane.
No worries mate, always welcome.
Last edited by deanc338; Aug 18, 2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Duh...I already replied to this... :P
Aug 20, 2011, 04:24 AM
can anyone pls make a 60" ws plan for me pls. I so want to fly it. thanks
Aug 20, 2011, 06:02 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdous7466
Easy way is just print the plan at 1.5% scaling, but be aware that servo holes , tabs and slots will be 1.5 times bigger as well.
Aug 20, 2011, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdous7466
here are the file at 60" wing span. Use at your own risk.
I repeat my warning about the size of holes ,tabs and some wide pieces.
It needs to strengthen tail booms , elevator and rudder fin. Lot of twist in this area . I don't know the result of a KF2 wing of this size, check the thickness.
I recomend reduce the chord of the wing in 2cm, but is your choice.
3D booms are highly recommended, the same with a Y clark wing too . Here are a exceptional wing in this project (code name JACKAL) by WMD from UK:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1181441

easy to build and strong... I will use it soon

good luck and post photos or videos of your result...
Aug 21, 2011, 09:18 AM
Great looking bronco. We were flying Fat Bronco's up here indoors a couple of years ago and there are still a couple around. The development of these plans is close to what happened with the fat bronco, started out as a profile then 3d. Kind of neat to see this evolve.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=fat+bronco
Aug 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
rajazo,

WMD's Jackal looks great and the wing seems easy enough to build. Might try to build that one also but I might go for something smaller say 85% of the original.

No progress on my bronco, still waiting for servos and ESCs.
Aug 21, 2011, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
Great looking bronco. We were flying Fat Bronco's up here indoors a couple of years ago and there are still a couple around. The development of these plans is close to what happened with the fat bronco, started out as a profile then 3d. Kind of neat to see this evolve.[/URL]
nice little bronco! really cute...
the development process are so similar, really impressive.

Quote:
rajazo,

WMD's Jackal looks great and the wing seems easy enough to build. Might try to build that one also but I might go for something smaller say 85% of the original.
sure, I adapt this wing at the same WS of the Bronco... I donīt want to change my car!
last news: retracts wheel working and no change in performance (maybe a little
Aug 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Pics of your retracts please....

I have bent some piano wires here for the LG but still thinking if I'll put it on my build, the steerable front wheel still gets me stumped.

Quick Reply