Dec 03, 2018, 09:40 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi there,

A question : On this model, do you thing it can be useful to have a wing removable from the fuselage ? or Not ?

I'm hesitating...

Thank you by advance
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2018, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Is not easy to do that. Booms need the wing to keep the tail in its position and sufer lot of torsion.
what I was doing was having detachable the center fuselage, not difficult to do and save some space in the trunk of the car.
Another option is detach the external part of the wing (the outer part from the booms)
Feb 19, 2019, 07:29 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thank you for your answer Rajazo and sorry for my LATE answer...

I finally fixed the wing on the fuselage i think that plane should have been maidened since a lot of time so i will try to move forward on it...

Any news about a possible 3D printed canopy ?

Greetings from France
Feb 19, 2019, 09:28 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Im intrigued by your design and the flight manners in the video. Putting this on the short list to build soon. Is there an issue with printing out the plans though?
Feb 21, 2019, 05:17 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi AleRRon,
I had some minor issues with some slot dimentions (see my post #170 in this thread) but nothing very annoying and these slot size problems may have been induced at printing as i used a tiled version.

I hope to finish mine soon... I had not so much time to work on it unfortunately...
Feb 21, 2019, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Hi guys,
Nice to see some activity here.
I apologize for not being able to correct the errors found by Dreamcatcher in the plans. I found the files and I will correct it this week end.
What version do you plan to build, AleRRon? just to update this files first.

About the 3d canopy, I finished the first version and I need a tester before upload to thingverse. I will send you a dropbox link with the STL file (9mb).
I hope it works and if it need it some corections, I will glad to change it. All the canopy shell is 0.8mm thickness

I don't plan to build the pusher version soon and because that I dont want to print this canopy (square section nose). Actually I will start to make a 120cm Bronco with some 3d printed improvements learned on the PC6 Porter

regards
Feb 22, 2019, 02:01 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thanks a lot for the stl Rajazo !
I will try to print it asap and i will share the results with you.
About the slots size differences i encountered, as i wrote upper, they may just be here because i used a tiled version of the plan that always induce some unsharpness here and there when assembling the layers.
Not sure you will find them on your original plan.

I look forward your bigger Bronco !!
Have a nice day and safe flights
Feb 22, 2019, 10:26 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Rajazo, Ill probably go with the latest version. I think it has a longer nose and full fuselage. Is that the best flyer?
Feb 25, 2019, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
Rajazo, Ill probably go with the latest version. I think it has a longer nose and full fuselage. Is that the best flyer?
Best flyer is too relative. I enjoy a lot the version one (the ugliest flat fuselage) because was the lighter, The 3d fuselage was great because looks lot better without changing the performance in a noticeable way.... then I want to take off and land from the ground and was ok, but with losing performance, not too much but noticiable... and so on.... then 10cm more wing span to compensate the increase of weight and two motors.
Which was the best? all of them in their own way.

What to do? The main decision is build it twin or pusher.
Pusher flies great and is really simple to build and endurable. The only fragile point is the rear part of the boom and rudder-elevator section but is easy to solve making 2 outer layers in each boom. (see picture x4 in red) .
About fuselage , OV10-letter-3dV2 fus.PDF looks better because the nose have 2 faces (post #30) more like the final twin version (post #100), but needs a little adjustment and bevel to get a good finish.
A good nose reinforcement is indicate in the picture posted in red, it is very necessary if you plan to use undercarriage with hard landing tendency style.
In green, coincidence errors are indicated.

if you want to use V3 elements just remember that V3 is 100cm wing span, ANy convination of element are possible if you scale properly.... pusher with 100cm WS, scale 111,11%, Twin elements on 90cm pusher then scale at 90%.

I will be happy to solve any question.

regards
Mar 04, 2019, 08:23 AM
Warbirds Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Hi guys,
Nice to see some activity here.
I apologize for not being able to correct the errors found by Dreamcatcher in the plans. I found the files and I will correct it this week end.
What version do you plan to build, AleRRon? just to update this files first.

About the 3d canopy, I finished the first version and I need a tester before upload to thingverse. I will send you a dropbox link with the STL file (9mb).
I hope it works and if it need it some corections, I will glad to change it. All the canopy shell is 0.8mm thickness

I don't plan to build the pusher version soon and because that I dont want to print this canopy (square section nose). Actually I will start to make a 120cm Bronco with some 3d printed improvements learned on the PC6 Porter

regards
Hi all,

This is a feed-back for Rajazo about his 3D printable canopy.

You will find here under some pictures of my print test using your .STL file of the Ov-10 canopy.

I used a 0.2 resolution and tried to print the part without supports (mostly for the gain of time and not to have many time to spend removing the supports).

Wall Thickness was set on 1.2mm

I used a poor quality PLA i had (Esun white PLA) that is not the best to reach a good quality part, but as it was only a test...

Printed at 200c with a temperature set to 60c on the bed.

If possible it would be to design some home made supports or th "close" the front and aft parts of the Canopy to help the printer to handle the horizontal area.
Something create a kind of near vertical line cutting the canopy's side by its liddle

I would like some more thickness because here, it's very thin and can easily breaks.

Anyway, it also could be a very nice start to cut some windows inside these canopy and keep only the mounts of the canpy and add some clear plexy or PETG parts

Thanks a lot Rajazo and congratulations !

Cheers
Pascal
Mar 04, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for sharing the test Dreamcatcher
Good to see that the canopy works.
Are you ok with the general form of the canopy? It fit ok? Curve is too much? If you can take a photo from the front
Did you try to print vertical? Backward part on the printed Bed. With enough brim or raft it could be work and the strength increase a lot without adding more thinkness (0,8 , one outside layer) neither front and back ribs .

Anyway I can do the support easily and put 0,2 separation between the parts
Mar 05, 2019, 10:42 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi Rajazo,

I didn't thought to print it like that... shame on me !
I think that with a big brim this could be printable, indeed.

I had a picture taken from face but she's not very good (and my print quality is pretty weird too in these area because of the "no support" and poor PLA) - i post it anyway

At my eyes, the general form is good, nice job !
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Mar 05, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Mar 18, 2020, 11:30 PM

Thank You

Have a profile fuselage version cut out and will begin to assemble it soon. Your first model looks like it flys great so will try to copy your success. Thanks for the plans, wonderful addition to the foam family.

Randy
Mar 19, 2020, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Great!!! Post photos of your version!
Mar 23, 2020, 07:51 PM

My OV-10

The Marines flew OV-10s at the airfield I was stationed at in Viet Nam. I was always happy to see them flying . A few Pics of my bird. Thanks for the great foamy.

Randy

Quick Reply