Thread Tools
Jul 01, 2011, 08:38 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

lindberg diesel tug kit


how about a 13 inch rc tug powered by a losi micro tranny/esc and full sized steering servo.
running off of 4 aa batteries.

had to raise the sides up by 3/8ths of an inch to keep from sinking.







next to the stock hull for comparrision!



Last edited by igotit; Jul 01, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2011, 12:07 AM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
Cool little project!

You could save a lot of weight by replacing the 4 AA holder and batteries with a 1000 mAh 2S LiPo battery, and replacing the standard size servo with a micro servo, either a 9G or even smaller.

If you still need to lose more weight you could take the ESC out of the heavy plastic case.
Jul 02, 2011, 12:35 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Cool little project!

You could save a lot of weight by replacing the 4 AA holder and batteries with a 1000 mAh 2S LiPo battery, and replacing the standard size servo with a micro servo, either a 9G or even smaller.

If you still need to lose more weight you could take the ESC out of the heavy plastic case.

actually i need moore weight.....lol.
with my running gear,it takes 4 more aa batteries to bring her down to the waterline,(before adding to the sides.)
ill add ballest soon.right now im working on the brick wall skeg.....gonna narrow it some to allow water to get to the prop.
when i reverse th prop wash looks funky ....lol.

ill need to locate a scale 3 blade prop that works better than the stock prop .
any suggestions?
Jul 02, 2011, 10:24 AM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
Quote:
had to raise the sides up by 3/8ths of an inch to keep from sinking.
Okay, I'm confused..........
Jul 02, 2011, 10:34 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
i added 3/8ths of an inch to the side of the hull,giving her a deeper draft,raising the deck higher out of the water.
i used .30ths styrene to build up the sides.
Jul 02, 2011, 10:35 AM
Mmm, tugs...
patmat2350's Avatar
Nice DIY project. You can also get a deeper hull from Microglass:

http://microglass.net/products/p1036.html

Except I think Karl needs to fix the "1:32 scale" labeling...
Jul 02, 2011, 10:37 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
im aware of karl's kits,i figured id save alot of cash and mod the original.a glass hull really isnt needed for a model this size in my opinion.
Jul 02, 2011, 10:45 AM
Mmm, tugs...
patmat2350's Avatar
True, not needed... it's just convenience, for those who want it... and more evidence that yes, this model benefits from some more draft.
Jul 02, 2011, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
i was so close to buying the microglas hull,but changed my mind....lol.
my brother bought one of karl's tug hulls....very nice indeed.
Jul 02, 2011, 01:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit
i added 3/8ths of an inch to the side of the hull,giving her a deeper draft,raising the deck higher out of the water.
i used .30ths styrene to build up the sides.
I did not mean to imply I was confused about your extra tall sides. What is confusing is your first post saying you had to add that to prevent your boat from sinking. Implying it was too heavy! Then you next post that you actually need more weight.

Anyway, it no longer matters.
Jul 02, 2011, 04:03 PM
Registered User
4bells's Avatar
This build log shows the draft issues with the stock hull: http://www.boatnerd.com/model/tug/kilkenny/
Jul 02, 2011, 04:06 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I did not mean to imply I was confused about your extra tall sides. What is confusing is your first post saying you had to add that to prevent your boat from sinking. Implying it was too heavy! Then you next post that you actually need more weight.

Anyway, it no longer matters.
oh i see what you mean.....sorry i wasnt clear enough.
stock hull loaded down to ride height leaves me with about 1/4 inch free board before water comes over the stern.....1 small wave or ripple could bring her down.
at stock ride height she cavitates badly,thats why i wanted more weight to bring the propeller lower from the surface of the water.
Jul 02, 2011, 04:15 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bells
This build log shows the draft issues with the stock hull: http://www.boatnerd.com/model/tug/kilkenny/
wow....i cant believe that little tug handles that massive barge!
thanx for that link bro!
Jul 02, 2011, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Predreadnut's Avatar
They did a pretty good job of handling my 6ft long 41lb battleship. Never had so much fun with my ship without even turning on the power.
Jul 02, 2011, 06:26 PM
Mmm, tugs...
patmat2350's Avatar
I saw one outfitted with a Speed 400.. it would do "wheelies" across the pond!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Salvaging a Lindberg Diesel Tug RGinCanada Scale Boats 240 Jun 11, 2015 11:05 PM
Help! Lindberg 1/82 scale model Diesel Tug sivadmatt Dock Talk 32 Mar 17, 2014 06:39 PM
Discussion Lindberg diesel tug/Microglass G-13 hull questions redlined_b16a Dock Talk 3 Jun 15, 2011 08:30 AM
Discussion Lindberg Diesel TUG questions, suggestions dostacos Scale Boats 19 Aug 10, 2008 10:00 AM
Discussion Lindberg Tug kit 4bells Scale Boats 4 Jan 23, 2006 10:05 PM