Canterbury J General Discussion - Page 75 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 16, 2018, 09:57 AM
Man Carl! Where were you when I was installing things in my CJ?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2018, 04:30 PM
Anyone selling a Canterbury J? I am interested
Mar 14, 2018, 09:25 AM

Sent my order in! No plans to finish this summer, more of a winter project.

There is a small group of IOMs that let other classes sail with them.
I expect the CJ is slower but how much? I don't need to be competitive but it
would be fun to feel part of the fleet.

Mar 14, 2018, 10:22 AM
If it floats....sail it!
If properly tuned, in almost drifting conditions, the CJ will ghost along and probably run away from them. The more it blows, the more they will leave it behind. However, if there are any aquatic weeds, the fin keel boats will find them while the CJ will run right over them.
Mar 14, 2018, 05:48 PM
Put another way—if you regularly sail in weeds with no wind, the CJ is faster than an IOM, otherwise....(lol)
Mar 14, 2018, 06:04 PM
If it floats....sail it!
We can always count on you, Tom, to see the negative in everything.
Mar 14, 2018, 07:05 PM
Really? It was meant to be humorous, nothing more. But you raise an interesting question. Is conveying only “positive” information helpful or misleading?

For example, your response to the question of how a CJ would perform in a fleet of IOMs. Having ovserved both classes I would say that virtually all of the time the CJ will significantly finish behind the IOMs. Certainly a CJ can not accelerate, point or maneuver like an IOM. It will most likely not feel like “part of the fleet” in an IOM regatta. So, was your “positive” answer that listed only the very limited conditions under which a CJ could match up with an IOM accurate?

Please note that this is in no way meant to detract from the virtues of the CJ. It is a handsome, classical one design yacht that is beautiful to watch on the water. It can be built with many scale features that make it stand out from modern carbon fiber racing machines. It is also a well engineered kit sold at a reasonable price.
Mar 15, 2018, 08:42 PM
Why not EDIT your post Tom ... ??

Delete the first two paragraphs and leave the third ... that might have done the trick to satisfy the issue noted in your prior post
Mar 15, 2018, 09:50 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I love the CJ. When comparing my CJ to my DF 95. I used a comparison of a Corvette to an Astin Martin. Similar performance, yet one has the mark of old world class. Obviously the CJ is the latter.

Quick Reply