Mar 17, 2017, 12:57 AM
I miss building my boats.... Keep posting up so I can live through you guys! I think I will have the workshop back up and operational in a couple more weeks though, then watch out!!! Maybe I should get paint on that one Razor 3 footy so this time it can dry a few days to a week or so between coats...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2017, 11:55 AM
Modeler/ Historian

Riverside Regatta !

INS Spring Sailboat Regatta, April 23 , 2017. I am going to be there! So... since I'm driving all the way from Texas.... Can we get a good showing of SoCal CJ's? I can't wait to meet y'all and do some sailing!
Mar 26, 2017, 10:56 AM
I will be there with "CJ" 529. I am also working with another club member to get his "CJ" 579 ready for the Regatta.

Ed
Mar 26, 2017, 01:04 PM
Hi Ed,

How is Art's boat coming along?

Rich
Mar 26, 2017, 05:07 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Getting some stick time before April.
Mar 26, 2017, 11:46 PM
Kevin Gault
Very cool Stephen,

I'll for sure have ol' #551 out at Riverside on the 23rd to come out and play. Should be a great time...

...and looking forward to meeting/sailing with you!

Kevin
C-J #551
Mar 27, 2017, 07:03 PM
Modeler/ Historian
My wife booked my hotel for me yesterday. I'm all set! Last time I attended the INS Regatta was in Fall 2009. I got Best of Show with my USS Atlanta CL-51. I cant wait to go back, I always attended both regatta's every year (except when I was deployed). They were the highlight of my year.
Mar 27, 2017, 07:16 PM
Stephen,

If it all works out I will have #567 there too.

Rich
CJ #567
Mar 28, 2017, 06:17 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Awesome! I love it.
Apr 01, 2017, 10:57 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
I miss building my boats.... Keep posting up so I can live through you guys! I think I will have the workshop back up and operational in a couple more weeks though, then watch out!!! Maybe I should get paint on that one Razor 3 footy so this time it can dry a few days to a week or so between coats...
You do very nice work Biggs, I think a CJ would be your cup of tea. I found it lent itself handily to my penchant for scale detail, and yet, for those who want a stripped down race machine.... There are many beautiful examples, as this thread shows. I feel mine is neither really. My CJ is (in my opinion) equal parts race boat, scale boat, and classically styled pond yacht. I probably wont be terribly competitive, but she sails beautifully. So, get your shop up, and we look forward to your CJ build!
Apr 01, 2017, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
You do very nice work Biggs, I think a CJ would be your cup of tea. I found it lent itself handily to my penchant for scale detail, and yet, for those who want a stripped down race machine.... There are many beautiful examples, as this thread shows. I feel mine is neither really. My CJ is (in my opinion) equal parts race boat, scale boat, and classically styled pond yacht. I probably wont be terribly competitive, but she sails beautifully. So, get your shop up, and we look forward to your CJ build!
Don't sell yourself short Stephen. You have built quite a fine example of a CJ. You should be proud. Can't wait to see it in person.
Apr 01, 2017, 01:33 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks, I really was inspired by all the previous builds. I would spend hours looking over all the pics in this thread and the other build threads, picking out features I wanted to incorporate into my boat. Mine is really an amalgam of so many other's innovations. I am so excited to be able to meet and sail with you all. Also, many of my friends from San Diego will be there for a wonderful reunion. Its going to be a great day!
Apr 01, 2017, 07:35 PM
Kevin Gault
Ed C's #529 and my #551 "doing battle" at Lake Evans in Riverside. How much cooler will it be with (at least) 3 other C-J's in the picture?

Kevin
Apr 01, 2017, 08:44 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I can't wait! It will look like "Cowes Week" in Southern California.... Its been a few years, since I attended the INS Regatta, do they still have sail races based on size? I sailed my schooner Wasp there in 2008 and failed miserably (I had just installed a Genoa and wasn't used to it yet)....
Apr 02, 2017, 03:17 PM
Stephen,

I haven't been involved much with the INS club in a while but when I was I did help to run the sailing races. We tried to group similar boats together to keep it somewhat interesting. It all depends on who and what boats show up. I'm pretty sure with 5 boats we may be able to have a CJ only class. At the very least we will likely have the largest number of same class boats.

Rich