Jun 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Canterbury J General Discussion

Canterbury J Official AMYA Class Boat

The Class supplier for the hull is Han's Berger. He can be contacted at.

http://www.pmycsail.com/catalog_1.html

Specifications:

Length overall 48 inches
Beam 8.5 inches
Displacement 14 lbs. 5 oz.
Draft 8 inches
Sail area 900 sq. inches
Mast height 62 inches
Total height 72 inches

I have started this thread to generate interest and gather information on the building and sailing of the Canterbury J sailboat, and to help future builders.

Please post pictures of your Canterbury J sailboat and give some information on the boat. Let us know where you sail.

Hopefully this will be the place to ask questions and get answers. If there is a regatta to take place for the Canterbury J's please post it here and then let us know the results.

If you know of a good supplier for sailboat hardware and sails. let us know and post the link, or anything pertaining to the Canterbury J.

Link to the build log of # 529

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1354056

Thank You,
Ed Crowell

to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2011, 10:35 PM
Onward and Upward.
Ed,

well, my wife sent the money out today for #539 so in a few days...........

I'll be asking you a bunch of questions.

Randy
Jun 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12
Ed,

well, my wife sent the money out today for #539 so in a few days...........
Lucky guy! The CJ looks like a very good value! I may have to go for it!
Jul 01, 2011, 12:24 AM

Sails

I have hull #521, but haven't gotten started on it yet, unfortunately. I love seeing photos of them on the water - they are beautiful, are they? The three of us in our little group that got hulls from Hans bought our sails from KBSails.com. Ken Bauser is in Connecticutt and has built most of the sails for the US C-Js. He does beautiful work and is very easy to communicate with. He sent us material samples that were being used back there for the C-J and we ended up going in a couple of directions. One of our guys is using the new "Lionheart" J as his paint scheme. It is a modern J, so he went with a more exotic material while the other two of us wanted the look of white sails. One of our guys has done a beautiful job of planking his hull. I'll try to get him to post some pictures.
Jul 01, 2011, 09:35 AM

Canterbury J-Sails

We're pleased to see our sails hoisted and powering #529, and just finished a suit for #541. Typical turnaround on such orders is 4 working days or less. Find us at: http://CarrSails.com
Jul 01, 2011, 07:03 PM

Canterbury J Class Secretary introduction.....

Hello, My name is Jeff Davenport and I am the AMYA class secretary for this boat. This is a one-design class with rules that keeps the boats equal over time and relatively in-expensive. The boat you build today will be just as competitive as one built 20 years from now. The rules also state that the boat must have a wooden deck. The simplest deck which is very popular is just 3/64 or 1/16th thick 3-ply plywood of one piece. We put this rule in to keep the boat true to its full-size J-boat origins and so that the boats did not start to get built with "plastic film/Monokote" decks such as the US ! meter boats. The Canterbury is meant to be an inexpensive and simple two channel J-boat that will sail for years and years without becoming out dated by newer designs. The hull design also lets you sail it on lakes that have a little weed problem as there is nothing on the hull to snag them. It is the J-Boat that will fit in your compact car. If anyone has any questions on the boat please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks, Jeff Davenport www.rv4pilot@cox.net
Jul 02, 2011, 06:37 AM

Canterbury J National Championship Regatta 2011

Hello, I just wanted everyone to know that the Paderewski Model Yacht Club in Plainville CT is hosting the first ever Canterbury J NCR on August 20th and 21st. Details for the regatta can be found at www.pmycsail.com . We hope to see you there! Jeff D.
Jul 02, 2011, 06:47 AM

CJ Photos....

Hi, I just wanted to post a few pictures from our CJ Regional Regatta from 2010. Lots of good close racing..... Jeff D
Jul 02, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Jeff,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the race. I especially like the last picture of all the CJ's grouped together.

Ed
Jul 02, 2011, 02:59 PM
Ed,

I just finished reading your Build of #529 last night - a really great & informative thread!! Lots of great detail! Not to mention, a beautiful boat!

Today is my birthday & my wife made the serious mistake of asking me what I want for my birthday I've been thinking of building a larger boat than my Laerke RG65 and was considering some sort of 1M. The Canterbury seems like it would be more fun & it's sorta' scale. I mainly just sail by myself on some local ponds. I don't really plan to race it - but you never know!

If I(she) were to order one, should she order the Keel weight, the Rudder, & the deck beam king post options? The keel weight looks like it's worthwhile, but I'm not sure about the rudder or beam/KP pkg.

Also, do you see any problem with going with a 2 piece mast? I could take it to a local pond fully assembled, but I would like to break it down to travel. I really enjoyed my RG65 in Florida back in March.

Thanks for any comments.

Erle
Jul 02, 2011, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Erle,

If you want to order the very minimum, I would recommend the Hull, Keel weight and trim weight. There is a drawing for the size of the rudder, but no drawings for the wood beams. The hull with the weights He supplies is a perfect match for the size of the sails and rudder.

I have never used a split mast so I really can't say. Maybe somebody else will comment on it.

Ed
Jul 02, 2011, 08:00 PM

Split mast....

Hiya, Hans Berger actually has a split mast that he has used on a boat so he can ship it to other clubs to try out. The split mast is just arrow shafts screwed together using the threaded inserts already in the shafts for screwing in the points on the arrows. It makes for kind of a flexible mast but you could always slip a wood dowel up inside the arrow shafts to make them a bit stiffer. It has worked great for Hans and makes the rig shippable. Jeff D
Jul 02, 2011, 08:18 PM
Onward and Upward.
Jeff,

those race photos, wing on wing, look really nice! Those are some great shots.
Those boats look so sleek and low to the water. I'll make sure mine is water tight! Thanks for posting those photos.

Randy
Jul 05, 2011, 03:27 PM

Great Photos & minimum kit

Thanks for the photos, they are great. I remember Hans told me he was working on a two piece wooden mast and I asked him recently how it was going. Luckily for him, he has been so busy building boats that he has had to put that project on the back burner. He was looking at having the sections connect at the spreader in a sleeve of some sort (brass?). He was going to use class rule 1/2" diameter wood sections. I think as long as you keep the connection at the spreaders, you'll be fine.

I am very happy that I bought my kit (#521) with keel, rudder and deck beams installed. It is still a bargain when you think about what you are getting. It has been put together at least once before you get it and Hans sends you photos of YOUR hull assembled before he ships it out. If you are planning to go with the curved deck, I would get the deck beams. If you are going with a flat deck, you could go either way.
Jul 06, 2011, 10:06 PM

Two part mast

Hi Guys and Gals, Well I am going to try to answer the question about the mast. I make my wooden masts hollow (a 1/4'" hole the length of the mast. I have made a three piece mast that can be shipp in yhe same box as the hull. I use a 1/4inch arrow shaft inside the wood and brass sleve on the outside, see pictures. Hope this helps, Hans

Quick Reply