Jun 29, 2019, 07:58 PM
Boomer1
Not sure if you fellows are aware of how rare the spreaders have become for the Yamaha. I have been searching for a few of the larger spreaders for a sailing buddy. Wondering if there are any on you side of the world?
Boomer
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2019, 10:39 AM
Finally found 4 tensioners for the Rtw and I made a boomvang myself due to a lack of something decent in the trade.
It is fully functional and made of some aluminum pipe m3 threadwire 3 nuts and 2 pieces of carbon pipe and a bearing and ball link to make it work nicely.

Next jobs ;replacing the spreaders (still waiting for the rvs wire for the shrouds )/waterproofing and attaching the cabin/ Repair the steeringwheels . Making some decent sails.
And still searching for the toothpicks
Jul 01, 2019, 03:20 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Not sure if you fellows are aware of how rare the spreaders have become for the Yamaha. I have been searching for a few of the larger spreaders for a sailing buddy. Wondering if there are any on you side of the world?
Boomer
Boomer,

Stockmaritime has them out of Germany. They have Seawind originals but also some custom.

I have bought some for my Seawind from them and they are better quality than the stock ones that come with the Seawind.
Jul 01, 2019, 05:54 PM
Boomer1
DW
I have a few extra Seawinds spreaders. Will take a look at their website to see what else they have.
When are you coming back to the States?
Good to hear from you.
Boomer
Jul 01, 2019, 08:09 PM
Rock the boat ...
Mokum, Nice work. I see you are fully prepared for the next project already
Jul 01, 2019, 09:39 PM
I just started building the IOM hull and was looking for parts such as a winch / sailservo. And then I saw the Rtw advertisement. Because I always had a preference for the Rtw and the price was very low I made my offer and I hoped for a S3801 sailservo to build in the Iom.

When I went to pick up the Rtw the seller did not have the keel, the real owner was just deceased and the seller had no knowledge of boats, a week later he had found the "sword" and I had found this site in the meantime and became more interested

And when I came home with the Rtw my girlfriend was very enthusiastic about the model (looks like our boat (her opinion))

and so the winter project became a 2nd summer job partly due to the drying time of epoxy.

And I just ordered another winch for the Iom
Jul 03, 2019, 12:10 PM
Eric thanks again for the info and the measurements.
This looks very good otherwise I was quite annoyed every time because it didn't look right once you know it

100m 0.5mm steel wire has arrived from china, now waiting for the tensioners from Belgium

Boomer, I would make the spreaders myself. Can't really be a lot of work, only that set corner along the length is a bit trickier, but with a hammer and vice you have to come to an end. (I had a sheet metal workshop which of course makes a difference )

on the photo the 0.2mm thickness difference
Jul 03, 2019, 05:01 PM
ten minutes after my previous post, the postman with the last order arrived.
Those were the tensioners who needed an addition with the original parts
I Am reasonably satisfied with the result you can now lift the boat through the mast like my other rc boats

Also been busy with the steering wheel restoration and the "original" sails, too bad they are so ruined so I have to make a new set soon.

Now one last job to solve the deck hatch
Jul 03, 2019, 07:37 PM
Rock the boat ...
Talk about making big steps ... you go fasssst

But you know the fore stay needs to go higher up the mast, right?
To the 4th spreaders.
Jul 04, 2019, 03:37 PM
Now that I am up to speed (a few IOM parts just laminated and some time left for the RTW)
On to the next chapter, namely the sails, I have made some molds for this in thick paper to see how that looks.
I'm going to make the sails with trispi40, I still have a few meters left of it

Mainsail remains almost the same as the original only the bottom (straight) and top (extended) have a different shape

The jib gets a higher point of engagement as Eric noticed and I will also try to work without a jib boom (maybe a bent metal rod or epoxy/glasslaminate in the bottom of the sail, ).
Jul 04, 2019, 06:35 PM
Rock the boat ...
Can I still give some reply, or did I reach my limit already?

1. The Yamaha was the first generation of Whitbread racers where they started to kick out the mainsail.
Not as extreme as later years, but giving it that distinguished look already.
It was also the reason they ran with 2 main runners, as a fixed center backstay would be in the way of the main.
On the model you can't replicate it completely, but if you run 2 backstays, you get slightly more space to add cloth on the leech of the main.
Let it overlap 1-2 mm while static, then it will be just free on use.
Above is the main reason why I will make a new set as well, ... one day ....

2. I used full batten for the mainsail, just like the real one.
It gives the sail a much nicer shape and profile, almost real.

3. The foot of the main was angled downwards (and so was the boom) to increase the surface of the main.
Before applying the first reef, a flattening reef was used to flatten / lift the foot, making the sail ... well ... flatter ...
Interesting thing, it really works on the model as well, it reduces the lean angle significantly when applied.

4. If you use the slot in the mast to fix your main (like we discussed before), leave the top ~5cm of the mainsail without the guiding line / material.
It will otherwise prevent the mainsail from turning in the slot higher up on downwind, resulting in a strange twisted sail (don't ask how I know...).
I don't have a pic, but below is the clew, where I did the same for ~2cm.

5. I added 3 short battens to the leech of the jib later on, it keeps the leech at a much nicer shape without curling.

6. If you use such low foot on the job, and intend to "fix" it, you will destroy the guard rail.
The foot of my jib will gently roll over it (as in reality,) but a boom will cause havoc ....
Last edited by ericjansen; Jul 04, 2019 at 08:11 PM.
Jul 04, 2019, 10:39 PM
Eric, no limits for good input. let them come !!
And I'm also going for a double backstay

What material did you use for your main sail battens?

I would also like to see a close up of your sheet / fall storage bags if possible

I also discovered that my mast was not positioned properly yet, the front stay was a bit too short. So I have to start again with the molds, the disadvantage of going fast
Jul 07, 2019, 03:57 PM
So after a weekend of big scale sailing, back to work on the RTW. The lines of the sails start to match, although the mainsail still has to be trimmed a bit at the back. Found a nice piece of rope on the 1 on 1 boat that fits perfectly into the mast groove and stays in it.
Jul 07, 2019, 05:48 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokum
Found a nice piece of rope on the 1 on 1 boat that fits perfectly into the mast groove and stays in it.
Ohshh, you said "rope" ....

Mokum, I said it before, and do it again, that starts to look absolute amazing, done by a man who knows what he is doing.
I always thought about making a mold to make the sails on, but you just have one .... great!

For the sail battens, I used some super thin, flexible but strong wood.
I had it laying around from an other static model, I think it was some teak deck planking or so.
It was super flexible, but once in the pocket, it does exactly what it needs to do.

And I will snap a pic of the cockpit bags, but those are not my most prided items
Last edited by ericjansen; Jul 07, 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 06:30 PM
A bit further with the sails the IOMs had priority tonight

I had made sails before, but never with a mast groove. So that was just like reinventing the wheel, but already quite successful for a first attempt.
For now only the flattening reef and an extra reef made in it, now first to a double backstay before I can really finish them

And I have just been busy with the sheeting, this is my first boat without a winch, I made pulleys on the servo arm like on a micro magic so that I have more sheet length. Doubt to use a winch and then working jib sheets (maybe in the future we'll see)

Quick Reply