Jun 24, 2019, 08:13 AM
Hi Eric, I am indeed a bit annoyed by the spreaders, the middle ones I think are way too high. So please provide more info. Also like some more info about your sail entry in the mast, I assume you did it like my photo

Boomer thanks for the tip I will see if I can find them here
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 08:54 AM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokum
Hi Eric, I am indeed a bit annoyed by the spreaders, the middle ones I think are way too high. So please provide more info.
Also like some more info about your sail entry in the mast, I assume you did it like my photo
You must be a sailor in real life

I indeed made a slot just above the boom, allowing me to lower the main partially while reefing.

On the spreaders, I might might might have the original info, otherwise I can measure my mast again and let you know.

You need to wait some days though, I am leaving from Amsterdam tomorrow night going back home, so that will be end of the week.
Remind me if my brain is effected by the jet lag ...
Last edited by ericjansen; Jun 24, 2019 at 03:35 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 03:12 PM
Rock the boat ...
Also, if you are making new sails, the boomvang is keeping the boom wayyy too high, the boom should drop slightly at the rear at full sail (no reefs).

I made a slot in the boom to allow the boomvang some movement, that will add a lot to the main sail shape (curved if higher, flat when tight and a lower boom).
Last edited by ericjansen; Jun 24, 2019 at 03:22 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjansen
You must be a sailor in real life

You need to wait some days though, I am leaving from Amsterdam tomorrow night going back home, so that will be end of the week.
Remind me if my brain is effected by the jet lag ...
Ohh you're arround the corner

And yes i'm a waterman W/surf/kite/sup/yachting, and i've sailed on the intrum justitia also a vor60 a couple of times (also the latest brunel, and dreaming of a day or more on a imoca like hugoboss, or a flight on a new monohull ACup )

I'm changing the boomvang for something adjustable, but like the schroud tensioners will have to look for them so no hurry for the rig data
And i'm going to try to make reefable sails (first time this size) like yours
Last edited by Mokum; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 02:21 AM
Rock the boat ...
I like the way you have decided to go.

Might have some tips as I learned the hard way, but will do so next week from behind my desk ... Easier ...
Jun 25, 2019, 04:08 PM
Boomer1
Just curious. Mokum and Eric are you guys going to be sailing your boats actively? Eric I know you don't sail your 40EX but not sure about the Yamaha.
My boat is sailed regularly since getting it and completing it about 10 years ago. I have had no problems with the boat and had it 18 - 20 mph winds. Normal wind is 5-8 mph or less.
Just wondering what is ahead for yours. Posted a few pictures just for interest.
Boomer
Jun 25, 2019, 08:30 PM
Hi Boomer, I regularly sail with my Marblehead and IOMs in front of our house on the Amstel (the "river to which Amsterdam owes its name) And I often take one with us when we go sailing with the "big" boat, you must have something to do in the harbors

So the Rtw will also be used regularly under all circumstances when it's ready
Last edited by Mokum; Jun 25, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Jun 26, 2019, 10:16 AM
Hi Mokum,

I also ow an Yamaha RTW. Live in the eastern part of the Netherlands. Have performed almost all mod's as shown in this thread. If you need some info please send me a private message
Jun 26, 2019, 09:15 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytukker
.... If you need some info please send me a private message
Was a public forum not meant to ... well ... share info publicly ~~kidding~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Just curious. Mokum and Eric are you guys going to be sailing your boats actively?
I would like to sail her more, but life (and all my other hobbies) are getting in the way most of time.
Besides, I still did not find that one wonderful spot, which should be remote, large, and without obstructions for wind.

My main interest in these models is looks though ... I can spend a full cup of coffee staring at a car, a yacht or model-boat, just enjoying the design, the lines, the flow, the completeness.

For my Endeavour II I just finished, that meant spending many nights going through old pictures, figuring out how each and every hoist, sheet and backstay was operated back in the Thirties, just to replicate that on the model.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=endeavour

For the Yamaha RTW I tried to do the same, although 25 years ago, and I could probably do better by now.
Still I think she looks better than out of the box, and the standing & running rigging itself is pretty much on scale once on the stand.
I have never sailed her against an other one, she is probably a bit faster at light winds (reduced ballast), but I will need to reef her a bit earlier.

For Mokum, I arrived back in Taiwan.
I will pull the boat and make some pictures, than list the points which I think might make a difference.
Jun 28, 2019, 12:08 PM
Because there was too much slack at the rudder, a crew member had to leave the ship, this was not without a struggle. A broken ankle as a result , but the rest of the crew didn't make it that difficult anymore
Rudder is now perfect without play (screw was very loose)
Jun 28, 2019, 03:53 PM
Rock the boat ...
Dimitri, not entirely true.
The 2x spacing around the top spreader is smaller than the 3 below.
I did not look it up yet, but it is something like 31-31-31-26-25 or so ...

Edit:
I just checked my model: On the alloy mast section (without plastic top), I measure: 31-31-31-24-23=140.
I should have the rigging drawing somewhere, damned if I can find it, but above was based upon it.

I also remember there was a difference in rigging between the Yamaha 1 (with the radar dome on the transom) and the Yamaha 2 (our model, with the radar dome further forward).
Last edited by ericjansen; Jun 29, 2019 at 12:51 AM.
Jun 29, 2019, 01:26 AM
Rock the boat ...
Below are the main modifications on my Yamaha.
Some of the pictures are older, some are newer after some refreshing last year.

As mentioned, I did these 25 yrs ago, some of them I should probably do slightly different nowadays.
Feel free to ask for more details if you want to.

1. Reduced ballast weight (removed some ~30%), shortened bulb
2. Re-shaped rudder
3. Added open bulkhead to support keel-box and mast foot

4. Own made sails / colored to resemble Kevlar
5a. Self tacking jib, low cut, with track, rotatable on fixed stay
5b. Staysail, fitted more backward, for balance with reefed main
6. Modification on the sheet handling, to allow trimming of the jib relative to the main
7. Mainsail, fully battened, with flattening reef, 4 reefs and Cunningham + adjustable halyard
8. Adjustable / flexible boomvang (allows the main to open at gusts)

9. Rigid mast connector
10. Re-positioned spreaders
11. Turnbuckles for the standing rigging
12. Double backstay + removable runner (if reefed 2x or more)

13. Added sheets, yards, etc. for visual appearance
14. Full static rigging with 3x runner/side for display purpose
Jun 29, 2019, 06:26 AM
Eric,
You really have an eye for detail !! It's the most realistic rc Rtw I have seen. I also want to go a bit in that direction, but that will go in steps .

Someday I hope to build something like the picture. Best rc sailboat i've ever seen 8)
https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/thread...ca-60f.181075/
Last edited by Mokum; Jun 29, 2019 at 11:21 AM.
Jun 29, 2019, 06:27 AM
And thnx for the info!!!

I assume your measurements are from the bottom up, so from the deck 31cm 1st spreaders?

Greetings Dimitri
Last edited by Mokum; Jun 29, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
Jun 29, 2019, 07:48 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokum
I assume your measurements are from the bottom up, so from the deck 31cm 1st spreaders?
Thanks for the compliment.
I measured from the alloy bottom of the mast up.
Due to the deck camber, your V1 shroud will be slightly longer.
Last edited by ericjansen; Jun 29, 2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply