Jun 18, 2019, 11:02 AM
Boomer1
Dobydog
Those trimaran's looking a wee bit tricky to sail! coming about has a new meaning with one of them! Have to be ready to go shag the boat when she turns over. Looks like fun..
Boomer
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2019, 04:16 PM
I recently found this one on a 2nd hand sales site for a nice and decent price. A few parts are missing (circulation blocks just behind the mast on the left, single clamp on the right) and a few broken parts (steering wheel, grinders,jib sheet attachment), but that can be solved/made. The keel is reinforced in the wrong way but the worst is already gone again also the cabin seal is a horror and the sails are red and ruined. Electronics works but sail servo arm is not in the right place. enough to do so a nice winter project, but first of all i've my other project to complete a Goth iom. But nice to see so manny nice RTWs

Greetings Dimitri
Jun 18, 2019, 07:52 PM
Rock the boat ...
Funny ... being in Holland for 3 weeks I was following this one on Marktplaats, along with an other, better, but more expensive one.

Decided to go differently and bring a static model back home, but almost tried to buy here .
Congrats!
Jun 18, 2019, 08:48 PM
Boomer1
Mokhum,
You can fix the issues you've mentioned. The keel is a one of a kind in my experience. It would be easy to remove those supports. I've been successful in reinforcing two Yamaha keels that were assembled. Takes some patients, but can be done.
Congratulations on scoring the boat!
Boomer
Jun 19, 2019, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjansen
Funny ... being in Holland for 3 weeks I was following this one on Marktplaats, along with an other, better, but more expensive one.

Decided to go differently and bring a static model back home, but almost tried to buy here .
Congrats!
I was not really looking but I have been interested in the Rtw sailing races all my life and always found this a beautiful model ,and for this price (1/5) of the other and very close to home I could not leave her there allone She now gets a nice place next to my other boats (M / iom)

Groeten Dimitri en mn complimenten voor jouw rtw
Jun 19, 2019, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Mokhum,
You can fix the issues you've mentioned. The keel is a one of a kind in my experience. It would be easy to remove those supports. I've been successful in reinforcing two Yamaha keels that were assembled. Takes some patients, but can be done.
Congratulations on scoring the boat!
Boomer
Thnx , the "winter project" has partly started. Because I am going to laminate a hull today and probably have some epoxy left over
fortunately the builder had used very little glue on the inside Apart from a small (7 cm) piece close to the lead,
Last edited by Mokum; Jun 21, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Jun 20, 2019, 12:28 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokum
Thnx , the "winter project" has partly started. Because I am going to laminate a hull today and probably have some epoxy left over
fortunately the builder had used very little glue on the inside Apart from a small (7 cm) piece close to the lead,
Mokum,

Not sure if you are interested. I know of a new one still in the box located here in Holland.

I had someone reach out asking if I was interested last year. I have two in the US waiting for me whenever I end up going home.

Let me know if you are interested.

dW
Jun 21, 2019, 12:15 PM
Boomer1
Mokum
Great news on the keel fin! You got lucky there for sure! Looks like you'll need to stiffen up the mast - appears to be bending aft. That's and easy fix as well. Well documented in this build thread. Posted a couple of pictures that illustrate how I addressed that issue on my boat. I also driller through the mast and put a bolt through it at the spreader mounting point above the joint. Been working successfully for about 10 years.

Be sure to reinforce the hull with mat fiberglass around the keel pocket or you will get some cracking down there. I also included a picture of the flat SS stock I put inside my keel to reduce the flexibility.

Good luck in your rehab~
Boomer
Jun 21, 2019, 07:42 PM
I've reinforced the keel with a 4mm stainles rod also drilled in to the lead and a mix of epoxy and glass till it poored out
The keel pocket looked good no damage but i wanted some thing to support the mast base (had a little damage) so i made a bulkhead and glassed the keel pocket also
And i've removed the steeringwheels and the rudder cover , the "rudder nut" was almost off
Last edited by Mokum; Jun 21, 2019 at 10:26 PM.
Jun 21, 2019, 07:51 PM
Boomer thanx for the pictures of your mast mod , i was just looking at it. Did you replace the original plastic mast conection with the brasspipe and lost 1mm ?
Jun 21, 2019, 09:35 PM
Boomer1
This picture shows the small bolt I installed through the mast to secure the brass tubing in place. There was no need to use the original plastic stiffener. The brass insert solved the problem nicely. I reinforced the underside of the deck around the hatch opening and the base of the mast with some thin balsa and resin. This just to be safe. It is quite thin in that area.

I replaced all the running rigging with 1 x 7 strand nylon coated SS 30 lb. test leader and rigging screws. This has been a very functional upgrade. I also used SS wire for the life lines that go through the stanchions.
Looks good and is strong.

The original hatch cover is very easy to make water tight using foam weather stripping and a servo arm at the front to secure it and a latch at the back. Together they compress the foam making the seal water tight. If you review the thread you can see how Crash did his. You don't need to go to extremes to have a good seal.

The hatch covers all yellow from exposure to the UV over time. I painted mine blue and actually think it looks better in blue that in the original white, Some where in the thread I posted the tamiya color I used. It is very close to the hull color.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 21, 2019 at 09:53 PM.
Jun 22, 2019, 01:06 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
The keel pocket looked good no damage but i wanted some thing to support the mast base (had a little damage) so i made a bulkhead and glassed the keel pocket also
Be sure to have the design of the bulkhead in such way that water can pass, and that you can reach the front part of the hull in some way ... just in case.
I made something along the lines as the carton one on the right of the picture.
Jun 23, 2019, 03:47 PM
I have strengthened the mast with a carbon tube of 6 mm and 20 cm long with 3 flat sides made to it and used the original screws/plate. With a piece of the same 6mm carbon tube I also raised the main sheet. And I've ordered 10 meter 0.5mm steel wire because the 0.7mm that I use with my other boats looks very heavy. I also think the stay tensioners that I have are too big / heavy so I have to look for others for that.

Photo 1 shows how I want to use 2 stay tensioners per side (red and white). And on every spreader passage I will use a small clamp tube above and below it.
Jun 23, 2019, 09:22 PM
Boomer1
Mokum
When you are finished with all the repairs and upgrades you can easily replace the broken "coffee grinder" handles using common tooth picks.
I found tooth picks at a local pub the resemble the original handles on our boats. I cut them to length cut a 45* angle on the cut and use CA to glue them together. I little black paint and like magic you have as many new handles as you want. I use CA to glue them in place.
Done well you can't tell the difference.
The little buggers are very easy to break so having a few made up is a good thing.
Boomer
Jun 24, 2019, 04:51 AM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Photo 1 shows how I want to use 2 stay tensioners per side (red and white). And on every spreader passage I will use a small clamp tube above and below it.
You probably don't want to change it any more, but FYI, the spacing between the various spreaders is wrong compared to the original.
I re-drilled and re-positioned them, it looks a bit odd once you know .

For the rigging, I angled all spreaders a very slightly bit extra upwards, then fixed all upper shrouds (D2-D3) in place with a tiny knot in them under the spreader.
I then had the main shroud running from the mast (D4 into V1), with a loop at each spreader end (the hole in the spreader is just large enough for all of this).
That way, you can carefully tension each spreader, working your way from the top down.
A bit of superglue prevented things from moving, worked from 1995 onward ....

I added a pic, if you enlarge it, you should be able to see the detail, very clean solution.

Quick Reply