Feb 21, 2018, 08:23 PM
And the price isn't unreasonable considering the crew and shipping is included.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2018, 08:49 PM
Boomer1
The Yamaha appears to have been sold already! Great news. Congratulations to both buyer and seller!
Boomer
Mar 05, 2018, 05:15 PM
Boomer1
Does anyone know the fabric weight of the original Yamaha sails? I think it is dacron type of "ripstop" fabric.
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 06, 2018 at 10:21 AM.
Mar 10, 2018, 07:36 PM
Boomer1
Nice Yamaha fully assembled just sold on E-bay~ looked very nice. Bargin price of $650.00 under market for sure. Congrats to the new owner!
Boomer

Update Saie fell through - concerns about shipping it caused the seller to back out of the sale. So I guess it is still of sale.
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 12, 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Mar 11, 2018, 01:46 AM
Rock the boat ...
Flat main with 1 reef in choppy waters ...
Mar 12, 2018, 11:52 AM
Boomer1
Eric
Surprised that actually works. Looks like the loose fabric would foul on the deck hardware. How are you able to drop the sail? Jackwire (Jackwire)
Mast Loops (Loops)?? Looks like there are loops but can't see how the main is connected to the mast in the photo. Factory is the rope (can't recall the name for that. DER!)
My sailing partner just ordered a set of paneled sails from Rod Carr with a "Jackwire" set up. We have several guys here that have his sails on their boats and are very happy with the performance. My OEM sails are still holding up. At some point I'd like to get a set of paneled sails to see how much better the boat will perform over the originals.
Boomer
Mar 12, 2018, 05:40 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
...Surprised that actually works....
Yeah, it works very well actually.
I have sailed her till the third reef in combination with a storm jib, although by then, winds are mostly too gusty.

Pic is a bit of a bad example, normally the tack of the sail is not loose, but held on the boom/mast point.
Each reef is then a perfect fold on one side of the boom, and is high enough not to damage your hardware.

The luff of my mainsail is held by a pocket in the sail with a rope inside (guess the same as the Tamiya one? - never used those).
I can feed it into the mast-slot from just above the boom, and the sail can slide up and down accordingly. (basically same as on some real-life systems).
If I use the full sail, I hook it into the masthead, if I reef, I have an adjustable tack running from the masthead to the head of the sail.

Finally, I have the boat apart to make my long wanted center bulkhead (to support the keel-box and the deck), and to refresh the electrics and the likes.
I however noticed how brittle the plastics slowly become .... expected, but still very unwelcome ...
Couple of years more and and I wonder if we still sail our boats ....
Mar 12, 2018, 09:47 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjansen
Yeah, it works very well actually.
I have sailed her till the third reef in combination with a storm jib, although by then, winds are mostly too gusty.

Pic is a bit of a bad example, normally the tack of the sail is not loose, but held on the boom/mast point.
Each reef is then a perfect fold on one side of the boom, and is high enough not to damage your hardware.

The luff of my mainsail is held by a pocket in the sail with a rope inside (guess the same as the Tamiya one? - never used those).
I can feed it into the mast-slot from just above the boom, and the sail can slide up and down accordingly. (basically same as on some real-life systems).
If I use the full sail, I hook it into the masthead, if I reef, I have an adjustable tack running from the masthead to the head of the sail.

Finally, I have the boat apart to make my long wanted center bulkhead (to support the keel-box and the deck), and to refresh the electrics and the likes.
I however noticed how brittle the plastics slowly become .... expected, but still very unwelcome ...
Couple of years more and and I wonder if we still sail our boats ....
Eric,

Is that a KYMC shirt you are wearing? Are you living in Tauchung?

DW
Mar 12, 2018, 10:36 PM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Is that a KYMC shirt you are wearing? Are you living in Tauchung?
Ha, no, it is not, and it was 10 years ago in the outskirts of Shanghai ... some lousy fish pond .
Now at least I have blue skies if I want ... in the Taipei area.
Mar 13, 2018, 01:38 AM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Ha, no, it is not, and it was 10 years ago in the outskirts of Shanghai ... some lousy fish pond .
Now at least I have blue skies if I want ... in the Taipei area.
I lived 5 years in Singapore and my sailing virtually stopped as there are only 2-3 places you can sail and not having a car made it tough...and expensive if you take a taxi.

I am in The Netherlands for the next 3-5 years and have two really nice places right near my home. Now I just need to get them all out of dry dock, clean them up and get them on the water. Back in the US. I have a RTW still in the box waiting and a pre-built with crew waiting on me.

Till then, its IOM, Seawind, Nirvana and MM time.

All the best.
DW
Mar 13, 2018, 08:05 AM
Rock the boat ...
Yeah, I remember you from before, even asking the question on how sailing conditions were in the Lowlands ....
I guess Wassenaar is kind of little paradise for sailing big and small .

My RTW followed me in the Nineties from The Netherlands to Taiwan (where I bought the 40EX), then to Shanghai, and 3 years ago back to Taiwan.
I am fortunate to have a car here, and a very large super-Olympic rowing pond not too far away.

My next challenge is the sea coast though, although I am a bit worried how salt water and old plastics mix.
Mar 13, 2018, 11:22 AM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Yeah, I remember you from before, even asking the question on how sailing conditions were in the Lowlands ....
I guess Wassenaar is kind of little paradise for sailing big and small .

My RTW followed me in the Nineties from The Netherlands to Taiwan (where I bought the 40EX), then to Shanghai, and 3 years ago back to Taiwan.
I am fortunate to have a car here, and a very large super-Olympic rowing pond not too far away.

My next challenge is the sea coast though, although I am a bit worried how salt water and old plastics mix.
I sailed my Nirvana one time in Singapore in Salt water and forgot to rinse. Needless to say, some of my rigging was rusted next time I looked at it. The only other thing I noticed was the lid on my electronics busted I believe from the heat and weather. I was fortunate a member 3D printed me one that just arrived yesterday. Will try it out this weekend.

I still have my 40EX I want to build and make it very realistic. I plan to order some Solar panals, lifeboat and many other accessories to dress it up. Maybe next winter. I still need to finish stripping the deck of my Seawind. It yellowed and needs a repaint. My IOM needs some glass work and a repaint. Just waiting on weather.

Take care.
DW
Mar 16, 2018, 06:18 AM
Rock the boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
I still have my 40EX I want to build and make it very realistic. I plan to order some Solar panels, lifeboat and many other accessories to dress it up.
The biggest disadvantage of the 40EX is its lack of displacement.

With all stuff (servo's, batteries, receiver, etc) mounted, it is wayyy to deep already.
Adding a crew or lifeboat or whatever only makes it worse.

For me, it was the reason I gave up on this one, looking at it like it was sinking while sailing gave me very little satisfaction ....
Transformed it in a static model instead, and she looks beautiful the few times she is floating on her anchor buoy.
Mar 16, 2018, 09:46 PM
Rock the boat ...
Making my long desired center bulkhead, aiming to take some stress out of the keel-box.

I first considered (and actually made the carton mold for it) a complete bulkhead from deck to keel, but it will be very hard to install correctly, and will severely limit entry to the front of the hull.

So ended up with 2 piece solution:
1. A vertical beam from the top of the keel box to straight under the mast to take out the deck flex (you should check how much your deck flexes if you push the mast down, which replicates the forces of the mast downwards while sailing),
2. The transfers bulkhead to support the keel-box.
I will epoxy them together into one piece.

As you can see, made them from a CD box plastic, should be light and strong enough to last forever.
Mar 16, 2018, 09:58 PM
Boomer1
Eric
Your bulk head looks terrific. Years ago I reinforced the deck are i could access by bonding some think ABS sheet material cut to fit. The result was significant improvement to the strength in those areas. Have had no issues since the installing the pieces.
Boomer

Quick Reply