Apr 02, 2017, 07:42 PM
The T-Bone was strictly Roberts fault as he has limited capacity to sail and record vid at the same time. I know asking him to do 2 things at once is asking for trouble.

The New Zealand escaped unharmed My Yamaha got the day off.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2017, 10:23 AM
Boomer1
Good news! It is hard to pilot the boat while taking a video for sure!! Had a few close calls doing it! I had a weird experience years ago while sailing with my
sailing partner that has a Yamaha. I was not paying close attention while trying to shoot a video and thought all was well but in fact I was looking at his boat through the camera's eye and couldn't figure out why it wasn't going where I was steering to go
I realized this and just in time, turned my boat away from a near major crash into his boat Felt really dumb. The two boats are almost twins.
Lesson learned!!
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 14, 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 10:45 PM
Boomer1
Like to welcome Mel to the group! He has purchased my Yamaha Kit and will picking it up at the end of the month. I am sure he'll have some questions for the group as he starts his build. I will be coaching along the way. He is reading the build thread here so, he'll be an authority soon.
Congrats to Mel and welcome.
Boomer
Apr 14, 2017, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Like to welcome Mel to the group! He has purchased my Yamaha Kit and will picking it up at the end of the month. I am sure he'll have some questions for the group as he starts his build. I will be coaching along the way. He is reading the build thread here so, he'll be an authority soon.
Congrats to Mel and welcome.
Boomer
Thank you for the add and introduction.
I decided to take a break from competitive rc gas boat racing and slow my "mojo" goin on groove...
Radio Sailing was something I just sort of fell into by accident but glad I made it here and am fortunate for Boomer to part with this Yamaha RTW and I look forward to learning and sharing the build as well as fellowship of some hobbyists who truly enjoy a truly great scale sailboat.
Aloha,
Gohan aka Mel
Apr 17, 2017, 06:44 PM
Hey Fellow RTW owners,
I wanted to share some footage of what I'm sailing now at the local spot and soon to skipper the Yamaha in these waters...
Enjoy!!

Sailing at Robert's (4 min 14 sec)
Apr 17, 2017, 06:51 PM
Boomer1
Mel,
Recognize the Vela what are the other two boats?
Beautiful setting for sailing.
Chat soon.
Boomer
Apr 17, 2017, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Mel,
Recognize the Vela what are the other two boats?
Beautiful setting for sailing.
Chat soon.
Boomer
My buddy has the Graupner Saphir - another rare bird and the Proboat Endeavor that has a little brushed "cheat" motor LOL

All good fun!!
Apr 17, 2017, 08:10 PM
Boomer1
I thought the Saphir looked familar. I had tried to purchase one some years ago but wasn't able to get the deal done. It was in Germany and the fellow was afraid to ship it. I have seen those little Endevors running around. Look like fun, but now like hens teeth to find.
I liked a number of the Graupner designs over the years but they were almost impossible to find here in the US. Ended up with a Graupner Rubin which was an amazingly detailed and scale replica of the full sized Rubins. Ended up selling to a friend.

I am a sucker for scale boats. From childhood I like models that were realistic. Didn't matter Trains, planes, cars and now boats. The Yamaha has turned out to be the right balance of function and looks. As you know I have quite a few boats but favor those that are the most realistic.

Posted a few pictures for you to enjoy. Last ones show a Yamaha and a Seawind both decked out with Crews. Very cool,
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 17, 2017 at 08:19 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 02:37 PM

Yipes my mast joiner broke!

Hi Guys,
I've had my Yahama for a LOT of years yet only had it in the water about 4 times (I fly rc sailplanes in competition mostly but secretly have always enjoyed the idea of rc sailing.

Likely the plastic just got old but not sure what the procedure is for replacing or making a carbon one or ?

I have the skills to lay up the boat from scratch but too lazy now days :-) so any tips to replace that joiner would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gordy Stahl
GordySoar@aol.com
Louisville Kentucky
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Apr 20, 2017, 03:14 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar
Hi Guys,
I've had my Yahama for a LOT of years yet only had it in the water about 4 times (I fly rc sailplanes in competition mostly but secretly have always enjoyed the idea of rc sailing.
Likely the plastic just got old but not sure what the procedure is for replacing or making a carbon one or ?
I have the skills to lay up the boat from scratch but too lazy now days :-) so any tips to replace that joiner would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gordy Stahl
GordySoar@aol.com
Louisville Kentucky
Gordy
Not sure what has happened to the hull that would require making a new hull. Although it'd be nice to have new hulls available. These hulls are generally repairable. Unless you ran over it with a car What is wrong with it? Post some pictures for us so we can see what you have there.

There is an issue with all the other parts needed to complete the boat should you have another hull. Those might be available from your current boat, just saying there are no new parts out there - with very few exceptions. Has in been stored inside? Out of direct sunlight? These hulls come painted from the factory which provides protection for UV damages. There are a few parts that are not paint and will discolor over time. The main hatch and the small cover over the rudder connection are not painted and do fade. They should be painted to provide the same protection the hull enjoys. Other parts not painted like the rudder and keel parts are not factory painted and too benefit from a nice coat of paint.

Look forward to getting a better understanding of your situation.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 20, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 04:51 PM

"My mast joiner broke"

Not the hull😀

I mentioned that I am an experienced modeler.

The part that broke is black plastic inside the aluminum mast about halfway up the mast.

What have you guys done to replace that joiner?

Thanks
Gordy
Apr 20, 2017, 05:32 PM
Boomer1
Not a problem. One sure cure is to purchase a piece of brass or aluminum tubing to slide down half away inside the bottom half of the mast and the same distance in the upper half. This well documented in the build thread.
I posted a few pictures that give you the idea. Any questions shot me a message
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 20, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 08:44 PM

But what about this part?

I saw your original post about beefing up the mast, but also saw that there seemed to be more than just the tubing at the joint.
Thanks
Gordy
Apr 23, 2017, 05:58 PM
Boomer1
Gordy
Do you have the assembly be instructions? Send me your email address via a PM. I will send you a pdf. copy.
The metal piece is joint stiffener that comes with kit.
The instruction booklet is very helpful over time.

Boomer
Apr 26, 2017, 09:12 PM
Lipo Power
I have the brass mod installed on my Yamaha, So fare so good...