Which clear coat for foam planes? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 30, 2011, 11:08 AM
mondo1948
Question

Which clear coat for foam planes?

Hi Guys,
I've been clear-coating my foam planes with a water-based varnish but it tends to peel off easily. Do you have any suggestions for a water-based clear coat, that comes in a "satin" finish, rather than "gloss"?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mondo
Last edited by mondo1948; Jun 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2011, 05:33 PM
Will fly for food
Water based polyurethane varnish. Comes in gloss, satin and semi gloss.

The issue is thre is nothing for the paint to "grab" onto with the foam.
Jul 04, 2011, 07:46 AM
Space Coast USA
Polycrylic from Minwax, Walmart/homeDepot etc works very well and adds very little weight.
Unless that is what you have been using...

With bare foam, you need to wipe it down good with IPA and let it dry good before applying any coating
Jul 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Polycrylic from Minwax, Walmart/homeDepot etc works very well and adds very little weight.
Unless that is what you have been using...

With bare foam, you need to wipe it down good with IPA and let it dry good before applying any coating
What is IPA?

How does the Polycrylic work over decals?

Thank you.
Jul 14, 2011, 08:41 AM
Space Coast USA
Isopropyl alcohol IPA

Words good over everything I have tried it on.
Jul 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
Suspended Account
Some have used Pledge over acrylics
Jul 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
I found the Minwax polyacrlic in a can and spray. Is spray the best way to go?
Jul 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Doesn't make any difference. The stuff in the can is so thin it covers well and goes on thin without adding much weight at all.
I've always used the can stuff.

Another hint.
When using masking tape on foam to separate paint colors, after applying the tape put a coat of Polycrylic over the interface of foam and tape. This seals the tape/foam and provides a nice sharp paint line with very little bleeding underneath.
Jul 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Garry
For the money get the canned stuff. I just use cheap foam brushes to apply.
Aug 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
Will the Polycrylic work on Depron as well for sealing the foam and paint? I do not have a spare piece of Depron to sacrifice for testing. I like the idea of sealing the previous line with the Poly on the tape to insure not bleeding.
Aug 28, 2011, 07:10 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKNGAS
Will the Polycrylic work on Depron as well for sealing the foam and paint? I do not have a spare piece of Depron to sacrifice for testing. I like the idea of sealing the previous line with the Poly on the tape to insure not bleeding.
I use it all the time on Depron.
Aug 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
So I got impatient and painted my Depron wing underside with Krylon Short Cuts, without using Polycrylic, and had NO bleeding! Anyway, since it is painted, should I seal the deal now to prevent rash? How much weight would it add on a 38.75" 3d Depron plane, or will it really make that much of a difference?
Sep 03, 2011, 08:31 AM
Space Coast USA
The polycrylic goes on so thin the weight gain is very small.
Mar 13, 2016, 02:31 PM

Quick and Easy Clear Coat

Years ago in the military, after "spit-shining" the toes of our dress boots, we would preserve the shine with "Glo-Coat" (a type of acrylic floor finish) applied over the shine with a cotton ball.

Today, I use inexpensive Pledge Floor Care Finish on my planes. I just wipe on a generous coat with a cotton ball and apply a second coat after the first coat dries thoroughly (about 8 hrs). Leaves a tough clear finish. Preserves the texture over which applied: Satin finish on matte or dull surfaces or glossy finish on smooth shiny surfaces.

Hope this works for you.
Last edited by Redleg67; Mar 13, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
Mar 14, 2016, 09:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
I use plain clear varnish .... basically because most of my models get wet at some time - so I want the waterproof barrier over my water-based paints.

Nigel