New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:44 AM
itsme2 is offline
Find More Posts by itsme2
Registered User
Discussion

What Is Correct Voltage For Storing Lipo Packs?


What would be the correct voltage to attain when storing 3S 11.1V 3200mAh Lipo packs? What formula is used to determine storage Lipo pack voltages?

Thank you.
Last edited by itsme2; Jun 30, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:47 AM
Mark Wood is offline
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
Storage voltage is what you would get them from the store and what they leave the factory at: 3.7v-3.8v per cell or 11.1v-11.4v total for the 3S pack.

mw
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
Battlepack is offline
Find More Posts by Battlepack
Registered User
Battlepack's Avatar
About 70% charge capacity is normal for LiPoly and LiFePO4 (A123/K2)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:05 AM
DonA is offline
Find More Posts by DonA
Registered User
DonA's Avatar
General rule of thumb for lipo storage is to have each cell at approx 3.85 volts per cell and store them in a cool dry location. I keep mine in the refrigerator in zip-lock type bags.

If you do a search here in this forum you will find many threads discussing lipo storage.

Don
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
lipoflyer is offline
Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Registered User
lipoflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
General rule of thumb for lipo storage is to have each cell at approx 3.85 volts per cell and store them in a cool dry location. I keep mine in the refrigerator in zip-lock type bags.

If you do a search here in this forum you will find many threads discussing lipo storage.

Don
Do you keep them in a "lipo-sack" whilst in the fridge.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:24 AM
DonA is offline
Find More Posts by DonA
Registered User
DonA's Avatar
No, I just use the zip lock bags. The zip lock bags help prevent condensation on the lipos.

I considered using the lipo 'sacks' but thought condensation would accumulate on the inside of the 'sack'.

Don
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:56 AM
mrodgers is offline
Find More Posts by mrodgers
Registered User
Putting a room temperature anything into a ziplock bag and putting in the fridge is trapping the moisture in the bag with the battery.

You want to protect from condensation when you remove the battery from the cold fridge to the atmosphere, not protect from condensation while in the fridge.

Sounds by your statement that you are putting battery in ziplock, then putting in the fridge. That wouldn't be helping anything.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
tonyastro is offline
Find More Posts by tonyastro
3D VFX Artist
tonyastro's Avatar
How about storing in the fridge in a hard plastic container? Will it keep moisture out when I take it out of the fridge and leave it inside the container for an hour?
Old May 21, 2012, 07:31 AM
SleepySean is offline
Find More Posts by SleepySean
PEMAC
SleepySean's Avatar
Air contains moisture, so ideally you want something you can squeeze all the air out of. Cling wrap?
Old May 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
tonyastro is offline
Find More Posts by tonyastro
3D VFX Artist
tonyastro's Avatar
I think I'll stick with room temperature storage. All this trouble is not worth a few bucks for a lipo
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
Remote_Pilot is offline
Find More Posts by Remote_Pilot
Champagne Supernova
Remote_Pilot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Putting a room temperature anything into a ziplock bag and putting in the fridge is trapping the moisture in the bag with the battery.

You want to protect from condensation when you remove the battery from the cold fridge to the atmosphere, not protect from condensation while in the fridge.

Sounds by your statement that you are putting battery in ziplock, then putting in the fridge. That wouldn't be helping anything.
So whats the correct method
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
The amount of moisture in the bag will be the same whether you put it in the fridge or not. Do it after you take it out and the moisture in the bag will condense on the battery. Put it in before placing it in the fridge will cause the moisture in the bag to condense on the bags surface. Which do you think is better? The bag prevents the room air from continually providing fresh water laden air to the surface. The moisture in the bag will is a constant.

Either way is OK
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Remote_Pilot is offline
Find More Posts by Remote_Pilot
Champagne Supernova
Remote_Pilot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The amount of moisture in the bag will be the same whether you put it in the fridge or not. Do it after you take it out and the moisture in the bag will condense on the battery. Put it in before placing it in the fridge will cause the moisture in the bag to condense on the bags surface. Which do you think is better? The bag prevents the room air from continually providing fresh water laden air to the surface. The moisture in the bag will is a constant.

Either way is OK
haa haa ok. Too scientific. I just put them in a ziplock, sealed it up and put em in the frig at 3.75-3.8v. 32-35 deg. F.

Im going to take out what I will need for the weekend on Wed and Thurs to come up to room temp and charge Thurs and Fri.

Wish I would have done this a long time ago. I have a bunch of lipos. You know this heat is killing them. Cool is good.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:18 PM
RPatrick is offline
Find More Posts by RPatrick
Registered User
RPatrick's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySean View Post
Air contains moisture, so ideally you want something you can squeeze all the air out of. Cling wrap?
Seems like unlubricated Trojans would do the trick !
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:23 PM
oTc is offline
oTc
Find More Posts by oTc
oTc
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick View Post
Seems like unlubricated Trojans would do the trick !
Yea...I can see were that would go..Wife asks, "Honey why do you have a large box of condoms?"


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What Amperage For LIPO Charging bigflankster16 Batteries and Chargers 2 Jun 28, 2011 09:05 PM
Discussion 4S Balance Leads Reading Total Lipo Voltage. Ugrd Batteries and Chargers 1 Jun 26, 2011 03:25 PM
Discussion Losi XXT - what lipo packs fit? wparsons Off-road Cars 5 Apr 26, 2011 10:23 AM
Question Storing Lipos, and what capicity when storing? fltekdiver Batteries and Chargers 8 Apr 18, 2011 09:51 PM
Question What Rm Value is Correct for Calculations? FlyingW Power Systems 11 Mar 18, 2011 10:28 PM