Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by vivcal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittsboylogan View Post
I think I'm going to get the UM T-28 instead of the Polecat, since this will be my first 4 channel plane. People have said the T-28 is easier, But is it AS durable as the Polecat? I'm kinda scared of the thin wing, unless it is durable
The Polecat is definitely more durable, and the T-28's wing is quite flimsy.
I had a Champ, and now I'm flying a Polecat. I didn't use the T-28 like people recommended. I'm flying fine, and haven't broken anything major, but if you don't mind spending some extra money on a T-28 just as a step to make things easier, it's probably a good idea.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by perschek
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
My repaired/replaced plane is in the mail and should arrive friday. Can't wait to get it back in the air. I think i will look inside to see if they changed anything... Maybe they did separate the motor/brick to avoid the cut trace if that was the issue. Will let people know. We move indoors (120'x300') on the 28th for the winter so i look forward to lots of fun with this one.
Oh man hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Was 70 degrees and 0 wind today, had lotsa fun flights! Can't wait for the report, great plane especially for the price!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by coreman
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
Oh man hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Was 70 degrees and 0 wind today, had lotsa fun flights! Can't wait for the report, great plane especially for the price!
I did love it right up until the rudder servo failure put it in. I hope this one avoids that. I got it at my LHS so it was probably from the very first shipment and I hope things have improved which is why I want to see if anything has been modified internally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
NEVER GIVE UP!
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fabricate a battery compartment "door" for this bad boy? I plan on flying her in my local school yard during the cold winter/snowy months. I dont want the battery totally exposed so was thinking of making a little hatch to cover the battery as she flies...anyone have any ideas?

Or...would it be better to put the battery in like a makeshift "sock" instead of having a hatch?
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Oct 19, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fabricate a battery compartment "door" for this bad boy? I plan on flying her in my local school yard during the cold winter/snowy months. I dont want the battery totally exposed so was thinking of making a little hatch to cover the battery as she flies...anyone have any ideas?

Or...would it be better to put the battery in like a makeshift "sock" instead of having a hatch?
a sock would work but so would a piece of tape with one end folded over so you have a pull tab or similarly an address label
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by perschek
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
mcx / msr battery trays work well btw. Cut it off, and it has 2 pins that you can hot glue into place
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
NEVER GIVE UP!
What do you guys think about this.

I take one of these "book socks"

Cut it and measure to fit the batteries I am going to use (so they fit snugly). Then sew it shut so I am able to slide the battery in and out while keeping the UM connector visible. Do you think that would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Book-.../dp/B00110JHDO
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
So, Is the Polecat overall better as a first 4 channel, for a guy with some simulator time ,than the T-28 because of the thicker wing? I'm going to get one soon and can't decide....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by bobly
Quote:
So, Is the Polecat overall better as a first 4 channel, for a guy with some simulator time ,than the T-28 because of the thicker wing? I'm going to get one soon and can't decide....
I would pick the T28 for a first 4 channel. Not as aerobatic, but easier to fly and just as tough if not tougher for taking some abuse.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by cardnation
all crash, no burn
Quote:
The polecat is a more advanced aircraft.

The T-28 is generally regarded as the best low wing trainer.

The T-28 wing may be "thinner" but it by no means fragile when speaking in terms of <2oz planes.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
MJF
Find More Posts by MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
polecat is a great plane....Imo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: eflite ultimate 20-300
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
plus I'd like to put a 3-bladed F4u corsair prop. It looks sweet with that. Thanks for the info. I basically want a um 4ch. that after this one, i can get a Mosquito. Love that guys' looks.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by bobly
3 blade might look sweet, but doesn't have anywhere near the performance of the two blade. Probably would not fly well at all.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
Kit Manufacturer

next attempt

i got my replacement Polecat back today and the first thing I did was open it to see if there were any modifications. The only difference I noticed was that now there is a number on the foam in "sharpie" near the brick in the nose. I don't know if this is a "rework" number or if it is an "inspector" number or a serial number (it's just three digits - unlikely). Has anyone else opened a replacement and seen similar things? has anyone opened a NIB one and found numbers? I looked at the thread attachments and there aren't any shown in the couple of pictures.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by vivcal
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
i got my replacement Polecat back today and the first thing I did was open it to see if there were any modifications. The only difference I noticed was that now there is a number on the foam in "sharpie" near the brick in the nose. I don't know if this is a "rework" number or if it is an "inspector" number or a serial number (it's just three digits - unlikely). Has anyone else opened a replacement and seen similar things? has anyone opened a NIB one and found numbers? I looked at the thread attachments and there aren't any shown in the couple of pictures.
my nib one has a #13 in the same place you are talking about