Jul 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
I honestly do not think you will see these "Parkzone" UM planes go Brushless, they are aimed at a certain market, just as the "E-Flite UMX" planes are aimed at a market too, not everyone wants or can fly a UMX Brushless, these are two different ranges for different markets, feww what a mouth full that was haha

so i think you need to hassle "E-Flite for the "Brushless" models you would like to see and "Parkzone" for the "Brushed" models you want

A lot on these threads have "Out Grown" there PZ UM planes and moved onto the E-Flite UMX ones, going back to compare where you came from to where you are now is fruitless let those new to Ultra Micros, enjoy the same fun "You" had when you first got into them

cheers chuck
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
I honestly do not think you will see these "Parkzone" UM planes go Brushless, they are aimed at a certain market, just as the "E-Flite UMX" planes are aimed at a market too, not everyone wants or can fly a UMX Brushless, these are two different ranges for different markets, feww what a mouth full that was haha

so i think you need to hassle "E-Flite for the "Brushless" models you would like to see and "Parkzone" for the "Brushed" models you want

A lot on these threads have "Out Grown" there PZ UM planes and moved onto the E-Flite UMX ones, going back to compare where you came from to where you are now is fruitless let those new to Ultra Micros, enjoy the same fun "You" had when you first got into them

cheers chuck
Hmm, parkzone is aimed at cheaper (price wise, quailty is far from cheap ) "just fly" airplanes. But they should use better brushed motors. These motors just don't work for long term. Some die after a few flights! If parkzone uses better brushed motors that are reliable than that would make parkzone airplanes better .

My $0.02
Jul 13, 2011, 10:54 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
Well, E-Flite is using both type of motors (Extra, 4-Site....) so why not Parkzone. I could see a new type of Vapor (much bigger yet still ultra light) with a very small brushless motor. They are due for a UM glider as well, so why not going brushless (they could use the brake on a folding prop). They can only sell so many brushed warbirds, but if they would come out with a low power brushless motorized warbird, it would probably be a hit for any warbird lover. I'm also amazed they do not have something with floats, RTF out of the box, either. Again, a little brushless motor would likely be the ticket....
Jul 13, 2011, 11:55 PM
Can't get enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
Well, E-Flite is using both type of motors (Extra, 4-Site....) so why not Parkzone. I could see a new type of Vapor (much bigger yet still ultra light) with a very small brushless motor. They are due for a UM glider as well, so why not going brushless (they could use the brake on a folding prop). They can only sell so many brushed warbirds, but if they would come out with a low power brushless motorized warbird, it would probably be a hit for any warbird lover. I'm also amazed they do not have something with floats, RTF out of the box, either. Again, a little brushless motor would likely be the ticket....
Yeah I agree. There is more confidence with brushless motors due to performance and outlasting brushed motors. They can be a bit heavier, which can be a drawback for certain models. One day there will be more brushless um's and heli's right out of the box without having to mod. Good start with Beast and Sbach.
Jul 14, 2011, 07:01 AM
i just saw some review on the UMX Extra 300 - now i am torn between the Pole Cat and the UMX 300!

BTW, they do sell the "BNF Basic" which doesn't have the charger nor battery and it's $20 less then the "BNF" version! someone earlier suggested that taking out the charger and battery would only save $5-7 ...

i like that the UMX 300, like the pole cat, uses the same 1 Cell batteries that my other micros use (the 2 Cell batteries for the UMX Beast are way too much!). although at my skill level (which is pretty low, hehehe) the Pole Cat would probably be a better choice. and i would imagine the Pole Cat will handle wind better then the UMX 300; since i'd be flying outside - that would certainly be a consideration. the Pole Cat looks much cooler then the 300 of course too
Jul 14, 2011, 07:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81
i just saw some review on the UMX Extra 300 - now i am torn between the Pole Cat and the UMX 300!

BTW, they do sell the "BNF Basic" which doesn't have the charger nor battery and it's $20 less then the "BNF" version! someone earlier suggested that taking out the charger and battery would only save $5-7 ...

i like that the UMX 300, like the pole cat, uses the same 1 Cell batteries that my other micros use (the 2 Cell batteries for the UMX Beast are way too much!). although at my skill level (which is pretty low, hehehe) the Pole Cat would probably be a better choice. and i would imagine the Pole Cat will handle wind better then the UMX 300; since i'd be flying outside - that would certainly be a consideration. the Pole Cat looks much cooler then the 300 of course too
The Basic doesn't come with the charger, the four AA batteries (that's a decent cost), but the main thing is the fact that it doesn't come with a 1S battery either (which cost $10 @ HH). I think the guys were talking about removing only the charger and AA batteries....

The Extra is mostly an indoor airplane (but you can fly it outdoor if there's NO wind). It's very slow, and if you don't use full rates to start with, it's kind of tame, since it can fly almost as slow as a Parkzone Vapor! Biggest difference between most other UMs is the fact that you do have to use the rudder way more though. (You can fly most UMs without using the rudder, but not this one the Extra or the 4-Site).
Jul 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
The Basic doesn't come with the charger, the four AA batteries (that's a decent cost), but the main thing is the fact that it doesn't come with a 1S battery either (which cost $10 @ HH). I think the guys were talking about removing only the charger and AA batteries....

The Extra is mostly an indoor airplane (but you can fly it outdoor if there's NO wind). It's very slow, and if you don't use full rates to start with, it's kind of tame, since it can fly almost as slow as a Parkzone Vapor! Biggest difference between most other UMs is the fact that you do have to use the rudder way more though. (You can fly most UMs without using the rudder, but not this one the Extra or the 4-Site).
thanks for the tips! this advice definitely points me back towards the Pole Cat.

and for clarity: i certainly don't need more 1Cell Lipos - and i think that's the general consensus ... most of us don't even prefer the lipos they ship with (hyperion for the win!). so i'd be happy to buy a "basic BNF" which doesn't have the battery
Jul 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
thanks for the tips! this advice definitely points me back towards the Pole Cat.

and for clarity: i certainly don't need more 1Cell Lipos - and i think that's the general consensus ... most of us don't even prefer the lipos they ship with (hyperion for the win!). so i'd be happy to buy a "basic BNF" which doesn't have the battery
I think if you were to fly both, you would prefer the 300 over the polecat.

You can pull off things with the 300 that would cause all other UM's into a ball of crumpled foam.

I can fly around my yard in full knife edge 2 ft off the ground, roll 180 degrees and knife edge on the other side, then knife edge up into a 30 second hover, 4 ft off the ground, then do a rolling climb out... And this is my first 3D plane.

I only fly my 300 outdoors and it can be flown in more wind than many UM's, like a Albatros or any of the old miniums or a P-51, which isn't much, but less than 5 mph winds are fine. Dead calm is ideal, and the 300 rocks in dead calm.
Jul 14, 2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN

You can pull off things with the 300 that would cause all other UM's into a ball of crumpled foam.

I can fly around my yard in full knife edge 2 ft off the ground, roll 180 degrees and knife edge on the other side, then knife edge up into a 30 second hover, 4 ft off the ground, then do a rolling climb out... And this is my first 3D plane.

I only fly my 300 outdoors and it can be flown in more wind than many UM's, like a Albatros or any of the old miniums or a P-51, which isn't much, but less than 5 mph winds are fine. Dead calm is ideal, and the 300 rocks in dead calm.
ha! and your advice points me back towards the 300!!!

i am so torn!!!!!!!!

in any case, i won't be getting either for at least a month or two ... so maybe my ideas will change as the summer wears on
Jul 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I love my 300 also. But 3d flying is a different style of flying over pattern flying. he has to know what his skill level is and if he wants to do 3d flying (as there are lots of folks that dont care for it). The 300 is awesome and if you are flying over grass, can be pretty sturdy to. I have 50+ crashes on mine already and have only broken it once. Some ca and it was back in action! So again, think about which style of flying you are wanting to do, then go with the appropriate plane. The 300 is not a first plane type. I would actually rate it around 4th or 5th. This is my personal opinion on progression line for flying. Champ, then t28, then either p51 or sukhoi then to 3d if you want to learn it. without actually flying the pole-cat I would assume it was somewhere in between the p51 and the sukhoi xp in terms of skill level, just from the video I saw.
Jul 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay
I love my 300 also. But 3d flying is a different style of flying over pattern flying. he has to know what his skill level is and if he wants to do 3d flying (as there are lots of folks that dont care for it). The 300 is awesome and if you are flying over grass, can be pretty sturdy to. I have 50+ crashes on mine already and have only broken it once. Some ca and it was back in action! So again, think about which style of flying you are wanting to do, then go with the appropriate plane.
thanks to you too!

i am thinking 3D will be the way to go right now ... for 4-channel cruising around the local park, i have the corsair and Champ - so i think the pole cat might actually just be too similar in flying style.

3D with the 300 will be something completely different - which i find really appealing to try. heck, it's possible i won't like it - but i think it's worth a shot
Jul 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
If you want to learn Knife edge or inverted flight or hovering, trying to learn on a sukhoi or polecat will more than likely end up with a broken plane after a few flights.

The 300 flies so much slower, so you can see what you are doing and see any mistakes you are making with time to correct them before you crash.

You can have HUGE control throws with the 300 and with a little expo, it doesn't feel twitchy at all.

Once you get the muscle memory down for aerobatics, you can try them on faster, twitchier planes and you'll know what to expect and how to react.
Jul 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
If you want to learn Knife edge or inverted flight or hovering, trying to learn on a sukhoi or polecat will more than likely end up with a broken plane after a few flights.

The 300 flies so much slower, so you can see what you are doing and see any mistakes you are making with time to correct them before you crash.

You can have HUGE control throws with the 300 and with a little expo, it doesn't feel twitchy at all.

Once you get the muscle memory down for aerobatics, you can try them on faster, twitchier planes and you'll know what to expect and how to react.
that sounds really appealing to me ... i do love slow-flying. i also have a Night Vapor and i love how slow it crawls
Jul 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
sorry to derail this thread ... back to your regularly scheduled Pole Cat!

more reviews! more video!
Jul 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
Power Wheels Guru
I'm kind of disappointed in the Polecat.

There are a lot of other planes HH could have built that would have more appeal.

They could have just put a solid wing on a "Reno" painted UM mustang (with a modded upper fuselage) and they would have plane with more appeal AND could be sold as a spec "pylon racer".

Only a handful of people go to reno to see planes like the polecat race. They want to see Bearcats and Mustangs, etc.

A little to niche for me.

Quick Reply