New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Jan 30, 2013, 08:49 PM
Registered User
Soooooo...... There may be something to the idea of waiting for decent weather to fly a plane for a first time. Got my PC yesterday. We had temps of 60ish yesterday and today. Dropping 30 degrees tomorrow into Friday. Had to play today. In the 20 mph gusts. Battery one went more or less OK. Hard to control heading upwind into the gusts. Battery the second, about a minute in I started to lose it real low and formed it nose first at about 1/2 throttle. Motor sounds louder now, maybe vibrating. Believe I bent the prop shaft a bit. Have to wait a few days now for weather to calm down to fly again and assess the shafts' condition.
Last edited by allisonmo2; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 08:39 PM
I love RC!
GBLynden's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmo2 View Post
Has anyone thought about putting a bigger rudder on the cat? I am thinking along the lines of an edge 540. I read a lot about people not even using the rudder but I am a rudder fan. No it just a bank and yank kind of guy
That is a pretty good idea. However, I am plenty pleased yanking when necessary. I guy you could say I am that kind of guy.
Jan 31, 2013, 08:40 PM
I love RC!
GBLynden's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmo2 View Post
Soooooo...... There may be something to the idea of waiting for decent weather to fly a plane for a first time. Got my PC yesterday. We had temps of 60ish yesterday and today. Dropping 30 degrees tomorrow into Friday. Had to play today. In the 20 mph gusts. Battery one went more or less OK. Hard to control heading upwind into the gusts. Battery the second, about a minute in I started to lose it real low and formed it nose first at about 1/2 throttle. Motor sounds louder now, maybe vibrating. Believe I bent the prop shaft a bit. Have to wait a few days now for weather to calm down to fly again and assess the shafts' condition.
No micro that wants to be salvaged should be flown in wind link that. Get a Mini Vapor for indoor fun!
Jan 31, 2013, 08:50 PM
Registered User
i just couldn't help myself. just had to see if i could i guess, combined with new toy-itis. we have a week basically of winds varying from 10-30mph and snow or flurries almost every day as well. today i had to put on a new prop, set the aileron servo control rod to the inner hole, and get all the control surfaces exactly exactly centered - servo and trims. couldn't not touch it. i might take my extra out tomorrow just so i can fly something.
Jan 31, 2013, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
GWS 5030x3 from rcfunlab.com (very quick delivery - thanks!)

We'll see how the PC does tomorrow if the wind cooperates...

UPDATE: I need to pick up a proper spinner...the one I'm using is too big for the PC's 1.5mm prop shaft. Full throttle sends the prop flying off the front of the plane! Always good to bench test such things with the pointy end away from you. GWSprops.com indicates that these three-blade props reduce the prop diameter thereby reducing the amp draw.
Wings.......just got my 3 blade 5030 prop from funlab this afternoon.......what's the flight report prognosis ??? Should I bother putting it on?
Thx....S.C.
Jan 31, 2013, 10:40 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
IfIHadWings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Cruiser View Post
Wings.......just got my 3 blade 5030 prop from funlab this afternoon.......what's the flight report prognosis ??? Should I bother putting it on?
Thx....S.C.
Mine is on the squawk list. Ordered a 1.5 mm spinner to fit the three-blade prop...didnt want to booger up the only 1.5mm I have for my GWS 5043. Plus...not a lot of non-wind days this time of year. I'll try to post a video of the three-blade flight once the weather cooperates and let you and RCG be the judge.
Feb 02, 2013, 12:26 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
IfIHadWings's Avatar

PC on 5030x3


Flew the PC today on the 5030x3. It reminded of the chrome valve covers on my '72 Pontiac...looks great but did nothing for performance. In fact, I had to keep it at WOT on a freshly charged 1s 160mAh or it would drop. And, both landings resulted in nose overs...could be a coincidence, but I'm back to the 5043 two-blade. I'd be interested to know other experiences with this set up.
(No viddy...my first time with a GoPro and apparently I didn't press the right button)
Feb 02, 2013, 01:23 PM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
Anyone for trying the mCPX Brushless tail motor on this bird?

Simply swapping to a Beast(3D?) brick and 2S power could be real easy now, seeing as this motor matches the PC's gearbox easily


Tony
Latest blog entry: Spitfire mk1a
Feb 02, 2013, 01:32 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Anyone for trying the mCPX Brushless tail motor on this bird?

Simply swapping to a Beast(3D?) brick and 2S power could be real easy now, seeing as this motor matches the PC's gearbox easily


Tony
There's much discussion about that very topic right here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1820881
Latest blog entry: Pizza!
Feb 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
Subscribed, cheers
Didn't see a reference to the Polecat though, but then I only went back one page....


Tony
Latest blog entry: Spitfire mk1a
Feb 02, 2013, 02:02 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Subscribed, cheers
Didn't see a reference to the Polecat though, but then I only went back one page....


Tony
i have a polecat and 2 motors arriving thursday so it might just happen soon. The drawback is I'm prepping for the WRAM show so there isn't a lot of "personal" time in my shop this month
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham
Feb 02, 2013, 02:05 PM
Registered User
microheli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Anyone for trying the mCPX Brushless tail motor on this bird?

Simply swapping to a Beast(3D?) brick and 2S power could be real easy now, seeing as this motor matches the PC's gearbox easily
The Polecat is a racer and need a more powerfull motor. The 3000kv Stryker motor with Stryker Prop is the better choice. (if you not going to 3S )
Feb 09, 2013, 07:03 PM
Registered User
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360454551.829593.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 209.6 KB
Description:

Installed new fuselage after I got attacked by a fence!

Moved the rudder to the second innermost hole and it really helped. Can't wait to fly some more before work tomorrow. Then even more when I get my 6 extra batteries to make a total of 8!
Feb 12, 2013, 12:32 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
Flew the PC today on the 5030x3. It reminded of the chrome valve covers on my '72 Pontiac...looks great but did nothing for performance. In fact, I had to keep it at WOT on a freshly charged 1s 160mAh or it would drop. And, both landings resulted in nose overs...could be a coincidence, but I'm back to the 5043 two-blade. I'd be interested to know other experiences with this set up.
(No viddy...my first time with a GoPro and apparently I didn't press the right button)
Wings.......subject your comments on the 3 blade.......
I got an eflite "eflup11803b" (google it) 3 blade prop.
4.33 by 3.1 pitch. Gives the "Cat" a nice look. More like
a prop attached to a plane, than a plane attached to a prop.
Only two flights in light wind and turbulence, but general impression
was about 1/3 throttle for cruise. That black GWS 5043 prop
Seemed to need a little more than 1/2 throttle for cruise. Looking
forward to some smooth air flights to make an accurate comparison,
as of now.......the look and performance of the 3 blade seems to
be a step ahead of the GWS. Had the feeling that even the stock prop
may perform better than that GWS 5043 stick............
Again......very limited flights in bumpy air
S.C.
Feb 12, 2013, 08:07 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
IfIHadWings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Cruiser View Post
Wings.......subject your comments on the 3 blade.......
I got an eflite "eflup11803b" (google it) 3 blade prop.
4.33 by 3.1 pitch. Gives the "Cat" a nice look. More like
a prop attached to a plane, than a plane attached to a prop.
Only two flights in light wind and turbulence, but general impression
was about 1/3 throttle for cruise. That black GWS 5043 prop
Seemed to need a little more than 1/2 throttle for cruise. Looking
forward to some smooth air flights to make an accurate comparison,
as of now.......the look and performance of the 3 blade seems to
be a step ahead of the GWS. Had the feeling that even the stock prop
may perform better than that GWS 5043 stick............
Again......very limited flights in bumpy air
S.C.
I'll check out the eflite option. Where did you order it?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ultra micro pole cat CaptDH Micro Ready-to-Fly 13 Jul 18, 2011 01:23 PM
Discussion Park Zone Ultra Micro T-28 Battery Upgrade? itsme2 Electric Plane Talk 4 Jun 30, 2011 01:47 PM
Found any Park Zone micro guts kino-schmid Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 30, 2011 01:18 PM
Found Park zone/e-flite ultra micros kino-schmid Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jun 17, 2011 04:15 PM
Sold B&F J-3 Ultra Micro Cub By: Park Zone Jolly Roger1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jun 16, 2011 06:42 AM