Jan 22, 2014, 06:30 PM
GOOD START !!!

Ross
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2014, 11:09 PM
gram obsessive

Traveler/ Tourist

Please see post #357
Here is my completed Tourist, the modernized Ken Willard Traveler. It follows the original outlines and dimensions and is painted in authentic late 1950's colors. It is powered by an Emax 2812 1500kV motor spinning a GWS EP-6050 prop fed by a 3S Rhino 610 LiPo and Blue 12A ESC. It draws 95W of power at 9A. It weighs 10 oz, has 32" span and 238 sq in wing area for a wing loading of a mere 6 oz per sq ft. It has rudder, elevator and throttle control.
I am working on completing a travel "box", The wings, stab and elevator, landing gear and prop are removable.
Hoping to post flight photos in a few days.
Feb 06, 2014, 02:43 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Looks like the ideal travelling companion TB - should be nice a lively at 150 watts/pound!
Feb 11, 2014, 01:15 PM
gram obsessive

The Tourist

Finally flew The Tourist today. What a delight! Not only the model, but such a beautiful day in Tucson.

The Tourist is stable and very predictable, easy to handle and good looking in the air. It loops easily, does very nice Immelman turns and it rolls to the left like a charm.

It does easy, steady touch-n-go's, but seems to prefer a little throttle on final approach. Yes, it will climb, very quickly, almost straight up! But, it is also happy just motoring lazily around the park. I think we have another winner. (More on the travel box soon.)
Feb 11, 2014, 06:09 PM
Delightful!
The sort of day and model we all dream about.
Feb 11, 2014, 09:20 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B
Delightful!
The sort of day and model we all dream about.
+1
Feb 16, 2014, 12:52 PM
I've just learned how to scan photographs to my computer memory so here's a couple of old vintage models.

The black and white model is a Chris Olsen Uproar which won the British Aerobatic Championship in 1958. I still have it but need to rebuild the starboard wing.

The electric Junior 60 was powered by a brushed motor and seven NiCads. I sold it to a beginner.
Mar 02, 2014, 04:07 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmey
Just finished this one that I found on Outerzone. From others' accounts, it should be a great flyer with the O.S. .40 strapped to the nose. Simple build. I decided to cover it traditionally with silkspan and dope. It gives it a great vintage look. Rondels were airbrushed. Cowl is built up balsa covered in silkspan.
Can't wait for spring!!
Nice build......Just finished my first rigged aircraft...1913 Eastbourne Monoplane.....BTW...Spring will be here in 2015..rain, sleet, snow, and crummy winds for the next week...SHEESSH !
Latest blog entry: 62" Auster Aiglet
Mar 04, 2014, 11:15 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot
Nice build......Just finished my first rigged aircraft...1913 Eastbourne Monoplane.....BTW...Spring will be here in 2015..rain, sleet, snow, and crummy winds for the next week...SHEESSH !

Very nice, Congrats
So the weather is not holding you to get a pilot in it
Mar 06, 2014, 06:34 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT-T
Very nice, Congrats
So the weather is not holding you to get a pilot in it
Nobody thought this guy could fly it.

Thanks for the compliment.....though I have to give most of the credit to guys like Peter Rake, Charlie Bice, Tony Eimen, and about 6 others who poked and prodded me through the build.

Weather still sucks.......snow and ice on Monday....26 now and rain/sleet on the way
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Mar 06, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
Mar 06, 2014, 08:06 AM
Culper Junior
Weather here in PA isn't much better.
Still have over 15" of snow on the flying field. If I don't land at my feet you have to slog through it to get the model.
Mar 14, 2014, 08:30 AM

following

following
Apr 03, 2014, 08:33 PM
Nice model, which the engine is needed to 1:1 scale model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic
I've posted these before but hadn't realized there was a dedicated thread for models built from plans downloaded from the Vintage and Old Timers plan thread.
Thought I'd better rectify that.

1/2 Pint - Louis Garami.
Alas no more - but with what it taught me I think I'll rebuild very soon.

Nearly ready for covering is a 36" Tomboy for EDBee - plans downloaded from... well, here!!

I've downloaded more than I could ever hope to build and printed quite a few also - just because I like plans!
Apr 10, 2014, 06:09 AM

Bumble Bee by John Venti of Cambria Models.

This is my "Bumble Bee" from a Cambrian Models kit. Redrawn by the late John Venti at a span of 58"from the original "Queen Bee". My model was built back in 1998 and lived in my workshop for most of it's life as in those days my flying skills were rubbish. At that time it was powered by an AM 10.
It took to the skies in 2010 powered by a Suppo BL-2217/7 motor running from a three cell 1300 lipoly battery using an 8x4 prop. This gives well over ten minute flights but it is rather overpowered and flies at about 1/2 throttle. It flies as if on rails. Covering is Oracover as at the time of building it was to be I.C. powered.
The extra weight seems no problems and it is a lovely flyer. Radio is FRSKY.

Peter Robinson
Staffordshire
England.
Last edited by cheshireflyer; Apr 10, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
Apr 10, 2014, 06:48 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Very nice - a model I always liked. For anyone interested this is the original.

Ray

Quick Reply