Jun 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
New Product

The Next Generation of full metal EDF with PATENT design

EPF HOBBY took one year to redesign the mototurbine series EDF. Due to some customer didn't like the plastic nozzle.
Now brand new series that we call Mercury will replace previous mototurbine EDF. The first model 64mm EDF with 1.8kg thrust.
The other size will be released very soon.
Mercury series EDF were made by high precision CNC. fan included.
All of parts are high impact Alloy.
Turbo Innercooling system let EDF down to room temperature within 15~20 seconds half throtte.

More detail please visit :
www.epf.com.tw
Last edited by EPF HOBBY; Jul 01, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
Classic jets rule
so is it a pusher set up ..can you show a pic of the rotor ?
Jun 28, 2011, 01:37 AM
yeah, I'de like to see more picture of that, including the seperate pieces and the rotor. that motor is deffinitely up front, like the WM fans.
Jun 28, 2011, 05:19 AM
Airplane crasher
I have been speaking to EPF about this EDF and it is done like the previous version. Pusher configuration. The motor was changed in order to give better thrust numbers, and as stated they reworked the outlet. As in the older design it has a 3 bearing support and dynamically balanced rotor. There is now a tighter tolerance between the rotor and housing as well. Since the housing and rotor act as a heat sink it allows for a bigger battery use, but is maxed out on 5S for the 64mm design.
I have been tempted to carry this series of EDF units and would like to know how many are interested before I place an order to be old through my partner Park Scale Models

Mike
Jun 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Some Photos, Detail will post later
Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 PM
There was a crease in the plan
So, not wanting to state the obvious, but what bit of this fan has the patent registered on it? It looks like a pretty ordinary IGV to me??
Jun 29, 2011, 03:05 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
I was wondering how one attach the intake to the fan? has this one been designed for open intake ducting given the large intake dia or would this be a replacement fam for 70mm foamies, Just press and fit?
I am curious about the noise level as well. The wm400 is loud vs the wemotec fans (still my favourite)

Looks cool tough!
Jun 29, 2011, 06:06 AM
Airplane crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Haynes
So, not wanting to state the obvious, but what bit of this fan has the patent registered on it? It looks like a pretty ordinary IGV to me??
Steve the design is not an ordinary EDF unit. The outrunner motor rather than an in-runner motor is in a pusher configuration. The bell of the outrunner had the fan attached directly to it rather than to the shaft. The shaft is then supported by a third bearing in the tailcone. For this reason EF wanted to patent the design to keep others from using the same features. I will be getting a pair for testing purposes and will let people know here how they perform.
Jun 29, 2011, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
I was wondering how one attach the intake to the fan? has this one been designed for open intake ducting given the large intake dia or would this be a replacement fam for 70mm foamies, Just press and fit?
I am curious about the noise level as well. The wm400 is loud vs the wemotec fans (still my favourite)

Looks cool tough!
The EPF site has a short video of the fan running so you can get at least a general idea of the sound. Tastes vary but it sounds a bit like the 70mm metal efflux fan to me.
Jun 29, 2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike
Steve the design is not an ordinary EDF unit. The outrunner motor rather than an in-runner motor is in a pusher configuration. The bell of the outrunner had the fan attached directly to it rather than to the shaft. The shaft is then supported by a third bearing in the tailcone. For this reason EF wanted to patent the design to keep others from using the same features. I will be getting a pair for testing purposes and will let people know here how they perform.
Thanks, looks interesting. I'm also interested in seeing the guts of this fan.
Jun 29, 2011, 06:56 AM
Thread OP
Thrust Curve as below:
Jun 29, 2011, 08:29 AM
seems promising
Jun 29, 2011, 08:48 AM
Essential RC YouTube channel
It'll take a lot to convince me EPF Hobby product is useable after buying a set of their electric retracts a couple years ago. Truly terrible quality. Didn't even get them to cycle 6 times on the bench before they broke.

Mind you...the recent RC Lander all electric retracts were as bad.

Good luck though.
Jun 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
Convertional EDF with one series issue ----Oscillation. Due to the weight of fan and motor are differnt. The fulcrum between them. This is bad design. Due to fan and motor will shake while high speed rotation. and even small sand or stone hit the balde. the factory dynamitic balance was missed.So the plane kiss the earth.....
Last edited by EPF HOBBY; Jun 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Jun 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
Airplane crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
It'll take a lot to convince me EPF Hobby product is useable after buying a set of their electric retracts a couple years ago. Truly terrible quality. Didn't even get them to cycle 6 times on the bench before they broke.

Mind you...the recent RC Lander all electric retracts were as bad.

Good luck though.
Did you try getting help for the broken retracts? As I see it that was before they re-designed the retracts and have made them better. I have a et of the origional retracts as well that are still working just fine.

Quick Reply