New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by Sandancer
"Auntie Samantha"
Build Log

The Air Force T-28 Trojan: The Landing Gear.

I haven't decided yet which direction I plan to go with the Landing Gear, but right now it may either be the Global VQ's, or the RCSkyLite 60-120 Pro oleo's? If I use the VQ's it will have to be a combination of the P-40 60's for the mains, and one of the P-51 struts for the nose gear.

The RCSkyLites, on the other hand, would be a total fit! Some mods will need to be done to all 3 pieces, mainly linkage connections. The mains will not need any mod's for length, but the nose strut might need some shortening. At this point I am thinking I might tig weld an arm to the strut to use as a steering arm?
The springs will need to be changed out as they are a bit stiff for the weight of the T-28.

All this is preliminary ideas, so until I can shift my attention to the Trojan, they may change?

UP-DATE 6/30/2011: I got the E-Flite 60-120 Nose Gear Steering Arm in today, and with some mods, I think it will work in conjunction with the RCSkyLites, and the Robart 2 1/4" Goodyears.

UP-DATE 7/17/2011: I was able to get some more work done on the Landing Gear on the T-28 this weekend.

I started on the nose gear assembly, and decided at this time I would continue to use the PZ312 E-Tract I had already modified. If it proves to be not up to the task, it will be a simple up-grade to a PZ514. Because the E-Flite 60-120 nose steering assembly was more stable then the stock, I needed to do two things.
First the original plastic mount had to be removed from the bay unit so the steering linkage would clear because I wasn't going to be able to use the upper mounting flange. Then I needed to remove the upper forward flange on the E-Tract unit. Not using the original mounting flange, I made my own out of some 1/16" alum. so I could mount the unit using the 4 brass mounts on the bottom of the 312.
Once everything was removed, things just fell into place. The E-Flite steering arm and the RCSkyLite strut slipped right on the 40mm x 3/16" steel pin I had custom made.
I widened the oblong hole to clearance the bigger Robart Goodyear and shortened the servo arm to also clear the tire.
I also put a Z bend in the linkage so it would run underneath the bay door linkage, and with the E-Flite steering assembly there is no need for a retainer to keep the linkage from binding.
One more thing I did was change out the spring in the strut as I feel it is a bit to stiff for weight of the Trojan. I took a 2" x 1/4" .022ga. spring and cut it in half. Once the plane is finally assembled, I go back and adjust the spring tension if necessary.
Now it's onto the bay doors and getting them all linked up.

After completing the nose gear, I moved onto the mains to see what changes were needed there?
NOTE: For those who, like myself, ordered the airframe kit, you might want to check those plastic E-Tract mounts/pockets! Although they are a tight fit, I found mine were NOT glued in!, which for what I wanted to do worked out fine, but they will definitely be GG on final assembly!
Fitting the larger PZ514's in those pockets actually was pretty easy. I just cut all the plastic needed to fit the 514's, and made a couple of 1/16" alum. flanges to fit the 514's to the stock FMS mounting holes.
I also had to grind reliefs on both side of the plastic housing to clearance both the flange mount bosses and the two 3mm x 10mm button head screws I use to lock the leg pins in place. Remember to grind reliefs on those pins so both the grub screws have a flat surface to lock to.
I also changed out the springs in the main LG struts to compensate for the lighter load of the Trojan. I used the full 2" x 1/4" .022ga. springs like I used in the nose gear strut.
Once I was happy with the final assembly, I slid 'em in the wings and ran them several times to make sure those 514's weren't going to labor lifting those 2 3/4" Goodyears.

I have some ideas on how I am going to hook up the linkage to the wheel skirts. More on that later this week.
Last edited by Sandancer; Sep 07, 2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Up-Date
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
ITTD you're Clear for Takeoff!
Where's the finished mod!? Pics/video? I am thinking of adding shock struts to my FMS T28